Author Topic: One-Handed Weapon Options?  (Read 1056 times)

Offline Breidr

• Baron
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
  • Stand Tall! Shieldwall!
    • View Profile
    • Breidr's Twitch TV Channel
  • Faction: Highest Bidder
  • Game nicks: Breidr
  • IRC nick: Breidr
One-Handed Weapon Options?
« on: July 19, 2014, 01:32:40 am »
Been playing around with a lot of different one-handed weapons as of late, and it's hard for me to settle on what to carry, as I tend to like one for something, and don't want to give that up for something else.  I've also heard cut damage is the worst, which sucks because I like axes and swords, but don't want to rely on stabs and such.

Right now I'm currently running with a Military Hammer with a Hatchet on my belt to break shields.  I've been fairly successful with this as it's one of the longest non-cut weapons with a secondary pick if I wanted.  Before that I tried the military pick, and spent some time with a MW Knightly Arming Sword, which was one of my favorites.  I want to give weapons like the Fighting Axe a try, but am worried that I'll be "nerfing" my damage a bit much, even with 7 PS.

thoughts?

Offline Killer

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
  • NA's Worst Longspearman
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Former BlackCompany Member, Current HoC member
  • Game nicks: HoC_Mr_Killer
Re: One-Handed Weapon Options?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 04:32:35 am »
I've ran around with a 24-15. build and used a broad one handed axe and with normal cut damage mode i didn't glance on plate armor guys (also it was mw) but other than that my one handed weps knowledge is limited hope that helped

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 07:27:59 am »
+1
For a rule of thumb, you can add 10 damage to pierce/blunt to see roughly how much damage it does compared to cut.

I personally use a sword with a pierce sidearm. IMO, the military sickle is a great sidearm. For general all-purpose, I would use a sword and an axe with an alternate mode that you can switch to with 'X'. The alt modes on axes are around military pick level of power, so you get both a shield breaker and powerful pierce option all in one. The cheapest axe that fits that is the iron war axe. It's a great weapon. You can use the broad one handed battle axe as well, but it's more expensive.

Offline Huscarlton_Banks

• Earl
  • Renown: 404
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
  • Blatant nudge spammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 07:46:37 am »
+1
I use a steel pick + a rondel dagger, too many people running around in +3 medium armor+.

I used to use 1h blunt/rondel before knockdown rates got adjusted to be head/foot slash based, but the combination of 1h's already short range, inferior damage and speed vs picks, range decrease in slashing for the feet, and lower knockdown rates even when aiming for feet/head compared to the old days makes it not worth it for me.

I'm not sure what to suggest if you dislike using the pointy end of axes, 1h cut has always been a bit puny against heavy plate. Maybe a military cleaver or an iron war axe would do well.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 08:23:08 am »
If you don't like switching weapons, go for a sword that has good cut swings and good pierce thrusts. 3 directional (no stab) 1H swords have amazing swings but suffer against heavy armor since they have no pierce attack. You can always take a cheap pierce backup weapon (short sword, military sickle, rondel, etc.) for those times that you face an enemy in plate armor.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 09:31:47 am »
Just use what you like - you'll get used to playing it right, over time.
With 7 PS you shouldn't have any problems fighting against medium-heavy armoured guys, sure a steel pick would do more damage, but a sword is more versatile and useful against cavalry.
Even when you meet a plated guy, the only thing you should do is to be a bit more careful with your swing angles to avoid glancing, also use held strikes to the head for nice damage.

Offline Johammeth

• King
  • Renown: 1077
  • Infamy: 81
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ConnectiKUTT
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 06:10:36 pm »
Nothing wrong with having a small collection of 1hers in your inventory which you choose from depending on the enemy class breakdown.

My 12/27 bucklerslut's toolbox consists of a Nordic War Sword, Espada, and Light Axe+Longdagger to let me focus on Archers, 2H/Pole, and Shielders, respectively.

Offline BaleOhay

• Marshall
  • Renown: 789
  • Infamy: 229
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BS
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 06:16:07 pm »
+1
I have been very successful with Iberian mace/broad one hand axe combo.

Could never figure out why I am one of the very few to use the Iberian. I even use the best Iberian on my xbow alt character. The thump stick is a great weapon once you adjust for the reach
Leader of BS

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 12:14:19 am »
+2
I loved using a swiss army knife combo of warhammer, short nordic warsword, and broad one-handed battle axe to handle any situation that I was confronted with. I fucking love the iron war axe, but its rather slow for most people. You've got to turn into your swings quite wildly.

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Chosen1

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 1016
  • cRPG Player
  • din do nuffin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Castile
  • Game nicks: Chosen1, Matteo, El_Cid
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 12:49:16 am »
The Knightly Arming Sword is my favorite 1h, it's got good reach, pierce and cut damage, and it's not too heavy. It's good with any build.
I'm sorry I hurt your feelings cmp, I would feel pretty bad too if I was a useless no life virgin who spent his adulthood making video games LOL
its ok though, now i have more time to - all the posters i dont like
But I wrote a poem that I would like you all to read

Offline Breidr

• Baron
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
  • Stand Tall! Shieldwall!
    • View Profile
    • Breidr's Twitch TV Channel
  • Faction: Highest Bidder
  • Game nicks: Breidr
  • IRC nick: Breidr
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 03:42:33 am »
I loved using a swiss army knife combo of warhammer, short nordic warsword, and broad one-handed battle axe to handle any situation that I was confronted with. I fucking love the iron war axe, but its rather slow for most people. You've got to turn into your swings quite wildly.

Jesus Sandy, how do you hold all that!  I understand what you mean though.  I'd just like a lighter load if possible.  I carry a sword and an axe right now and hardly ever switch to my axe for a number of reasons.  Maybe I just need to get used to it.