Author Topic: Heavy Lance is useless.  (Read 2272 times)

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
Re: Heavy Lance is useless.
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2014, 11:13:08 pm »
+2
If it's not a polearm > 150 length, I like the option of being able to stab them outright or bumpstab with the lance at a moment's notice. With the heavy lance, I feel I have to prepare for the bump stab ahead of time and can't react to them going to the defensive as easily. That's why I like both lance and heavy lance equally in upfront attacks on infantry.

Also, I have 5PS on my current heavy lance guy 15-24, so that's why I have a certain bias about my attacks and have to use whatever damage multiplier is available. KD is only 4.5 but I do play cav on maps like pueblo village/city maps sometimes. Huseby, you have improved, so I think yours would have been higher if it had been reset. I think kd (and score moreso) is pretty indicative of performance even if it's not perfect such as killing peasants or leaving on disadvantaged maps.

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2014, 11:19:39 pm »
+1

KDR is not really a good indicator, at least IMO.  I think I'm one of the best cavalry players in NA (at least whenever I'm playing, even on my shitty work laptop nowadays).  And I only have a 2.3:1 KDR.

10406/4449, 2.3:1

You're basing your numbers off of people who would leave the server if they lost one round to avoid having a bad KDR.  They only cared about their KDR, not playing seriously.  Cav like me, who continue playing even on non-cav based maps are going to have that hurt their potential KDR.  But since I don't care about my KDR, I'm not going to leave to just artificially pad it.  I can easily go 5 or 10:1 KDR on cav friendly maps.

You should try cavving on siege once, it can be very challenging and fun
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline imisshotmail

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 504
  • Infamy: 428
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2014, 02:59:31 am »
+1
If it's not a polearm > 150 length, I like the option of being able to stab them outright or bumpstab with the lance at a moment's notice. With the heavy lance, I feel I have to prepare for the bump stab ahead of time and can't react to them going to the defensive as easily. That's why I like both lance and heavy lance equally in upfront attacks on infantry.

With the Heavy Lance you should try force people into only having one viable option so you never have to react fast to what they are going to do, because you already know what it is. Like when you are going to stab someone you turn left so much that if they try dodge to their right they are going to get bumped full speed, and then you can stab to your right and move into inwards so if they at all try to anything that isn't blocking down they will get hit.

You can also slow down when you are going to lance someone head on and stay just out of their range, and wait for them to jump at you first, if you do that you have plenty of time to react and stab the right spot, or you can speed up at any time and bump them if they block down.

These are really important parts of being good at cavalry and they are things I don't think the Lance can do very well at all because that 10 length is actually hugely significant vs things like Longswords or especially Greatswords and 2d Polearms.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 03:03:46 am by imisshotmail »

Offline San

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2014, 03:10:01 am »
+1
Yes, but I am simply greedy. Them blocking = a loss to me, I want to deal damage to them as close to 100% of the time as I can :twisted:

Offline the real god emperor

• King
  • Renown: 1630
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Et tu, Brute?
    • View Profile
    • Click for gifts
  • Faction: Rome
  • Game nicks: Captain_Sweden
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2014, 10:39:47 am »

Also, I have 5PS on my current heavy lance guy 15-24

Why do you need 8 riding anyway?

Offline San

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2014, 05:05:50 pm »
I like going after other cav and being able to use every horse. 12-27, 12-30, 9-30, 9-33 are also quite fun, and would've done 12-27 if my boots weren't 13 difficulty.

Offline GOBBLINKINGREATLEADER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 515
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Daruvian, GOBBLINKINGGREATLEADER
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2014, 05:35:42 pm »
+1
My KDR is only 3 this generation, last it was a tiny bkt under 4. If I were a sperghard I think I could be at 4 or 5. My current KDR includes my peasant grind, and probably a hundred or so deaths of me just fucking around leeching with a practice sword or challenging myself to play naked or off my horse, etc.

Also I refer to the heavy lance as the heavy glance.

Offline Tojo

• Earl
  • Renown: 490
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
  • Long Live NA_1
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, HoC, Acre, MB, HG, Beserks
  • Game nicks: _Tojo, Drew_Brees, Tijo
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2014, 11:45:07 pm »
If a heavy lance cav fights a lance cav or light lance cav, the heavy lance should always win because of length. It is THE ultimate cav weapon.