Author Topic: Regular Scimitar imbalance  (Read 1223 times)

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
Regular Scimitar imbalance
« on: May 21, 2011, 09:02:22 pm »
Once again I was looking through the weapon lists and came across what looks to be an imbalanced weapon.  The regular scimitar has a lot of things going for it and, I think, needs a price increase.  Here it is compared with two other comparable swords:

Scimitar
weight: 1.3
difficulty: 10
speed rating: 101
weapon length: 97
thrust damage: 0 pierce
swing damage: 30 cut
slots: 1

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Have a nice day! :)

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
Re: Regular Scimitar imbalance
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 12:13:02 am »
Didn't scimitar have some kind of invisible range thanks to the curve texture. Wich makes it actually harder to dodge and such, than an italian sword.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 07:13:08 am »
Didn't scimitar have some kind of invisible range thanks to the curve texture. Wich makes it actually harder to dodge and such, than an italian sword.

Think so.

Also, Elite Scimitar is a brilliant weapon for 1H cav.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 04:53:17 pm »
Weapon balance within each category would be so much easier if the devs would just establish some "weapon performance rating" that takes into account length, speed, cost, special attributes, swing options, etc. Then say every weapon above the peasant weapons in each category has the same value of this "WPR".

Obviously, the trick is how to assign the relative value of say a thrust attack or crushthrough, but at least there would be some consistent formula. There are SO many arbitrary balance issues within each category of weapons now.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 02:07:39 am »
Good luck finding such a formula. The different stats of a weapon are actually interdependent, so it's near impossible to find a formula that reduces these values to one comparable rating. It's one of the cases where trial and error is the only possibility to get a half-decent result.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 02:58:20 am »
I don't think a formula is possible, mainly for the reasons zagibu posted.  Though the Dev team do great work balancing this nearly from-scratch mod, it's up to use to test things to death and give them the appropriate feedback.

Offline MouthnHoof

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: MouthnHoof
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 01:54:59 pm »
Considered holistically, the Italian Sword should definitely be more expensive than the scimitar but should certainly not be 155% of its price.[/spoiler]
Diminishing returns. In all weapon categories and armor, you pay a lot more to get just a little better stats.
Not worth the cost? Don't use it. As long as some players are willing to pay the extra, it probably is not completely unjustified. Laws of the free market.

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 06:06:15 pm »
Diminishing returns. In all weapon categories and armor, you pay a lot more to get just a little better stats.
Not worth the cost? Don't use it. As long as some players are willing to pay the extra, it probably is not completely unjustified. Laws of the free market.

I do use the Italian Sword, and I'm not saying it isn't worth the cost, but that the very comparable stats of the Italian Sword warrant a price increase for the regular scimitar.  The more salient contrast is between the scimitar and the elite scimitar, though, but that case may just show that the elite scimitar is overpriced rather than the regular scimitar being undervalued.

I didn't say any of these weapons aren't worth their price, obviously the worth of a weapon is entirely gauged by the one who's using it.  What I'm saying is that the essential cost of the scimitar, as a weapon which breaks and requires upkeep, is too low compared to other comparable weapons.