Author Topic: Is XBow finally viable again?  (Read 471 times)

Offline Screaming Idiot

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: HoC_Screaming_Idiot
Is XBow finally viable again?
« on: July 10, 2014, 04:53:59 am »
+1
Been seeing a lot of Xbow users on NA1. Is it finally viable again? If so, can anyone suggest some builds they have seen in use or think would work?
Archery is nice and all, but you can only get so much shooty shooty pew pew before you begin craving that true marksmanship again. XBow/Shield hybrids also welcome.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
Re: Is XBow finally viable again?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 06:24:47 am »
+2
Xbow has higher requirements than it used to, but it is still more viable as a hybrid class than archer. No PD skill points to invest, and WPF doesn't increase damage so splitting WPF doesn't gimp you as much. My current (level 30) xbow gen is:

12 Strength
27 Agility

4 Power Strike
1 Ironflesh
9 Athletics
9 Weapons Master

115 1H
170 Crossbow

I use the regular xbow. Arbalest at 18 strength limits your build beyond crossbow skills, but heavy xbow and regular xbow allow a lot of melee hybridization. I could have gone 12/24 with plenty of points to use in IF and shield. I prefer a little extra wpf and lots of movespeed so you can seek cover to reload. A regular crossbow will never have the long-range accuracy a bow can achieve, but you are trading that for melee skills. No matter your build you will always face melee eventually so I feel that the dip into those skills helps you a lot. You can also grab decent armor and 1H weapons if you have a crossbow instead of an arbalest. Lower repair cost is a great perk.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Huscarlton_Banks

• Earl
  • Renown: 404
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
  • Blatant nudge spammer
    • View Profile
Re: Is XBow finally viable again?
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 10:11:32 am »
+2
I'd recommend figuring out which xbow you like to use before building one out.

All of the builds below have max accuracy if you have 0 armor penalty and stick with the WPF guidelines.

These are just 31/32 -> retire builds, builds planned on going 34 or above require a bit more min-max planning since they can actually use arbs at max accuracy + melee decently.
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 07:04:57 pm by Huscarlton_Banks »