Author Topic: Harsh fps drops during combats  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Toi

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 3
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Toi
Harsh fps drops during combats
« on: May 29, 2014, 11:34:26 pm »
Hello people, I have a problem with my game and I'm told that I might be able to get some help from here. For some reason my fps is dropping to 30-40 during combats. A year ago I was able to play cRPG with minimum 120 fps even during the most complex Strategus battles. My computer is also quite strong, which is running almost every game perfectly fine. ( Playing Mass Effect 3 with the best graphics without any fps drops ^^) I've reduced every possible graphic setting that WSE2 allowed me - it is even worse without running WSE2 - and removed corpses etc, but it was of no use. Does anyone here have a solution?

I should also add I deleted and reinstalled cRPG. I also tried running cRPG without WSE2 and it was giving me 20 fps tops.

I've also checked the temperature of graphics card and processor. They are both well within the green zone.

My computer's specifications: 64 bit Windows 7,  Intel i7 2600 - 3.40 GHz, 6 GB of RAM, ATI Radeon HD 6750 as Graphics card. Radeon HD 6750 was rebranded as HD 5750 btw.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 10:22:32 am by Toi »

Offline Switchtense

• King
  • Renown: 1137
  • Infamy: 137
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • poking you where the sun dont shine!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Unicorns, BIRD CLAN BEST CLAN!
  • Game nicks: All sorts of Switch's
  • IRC nick: Switchtense
Re: Harsh fps drops during combats
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 12:54:45 am »
6 GB of RAM

At first glance I would say you got your problem right there.

But not sure, 6 gigs is not toooo bad, however a bit more wouldn't hurt I guess.

Just as a quick test, try setting your corpses and ragdolls down to something like 20 or so.

I quite often get fps drops when there are too many bodies lying around. So I set mine to 25 and it helps a lot (Also helps finding enemies, if you see a body of a teammate the enemy must still be nearby since otherwise the body would have disappeared)
For all the non-believers, look no further than this thread for proof that while strat battles are won/lost in NA3/EU3, strat wars are won and lost on the forums.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Toi

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 10:02:00 am »
I have corpses on 0, it didn't change anything. Tbh 6 GB of RAM should be more than enough for a game which is quite old. It was also running cRPG quite smoothly a year ago.

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 11:30:03 am »
+2
6 GB of RAM

At first glance I would say you got your problem right there.

But not sure, 6 gigs is not toooo bad, however a bit more wouldn't hurt I guess.

Just as a quick test, try setting your corpses and ragdolls down to something like 20 or so.

I quite often get fps drops when there are too many bodies lying around. So I set mine to 25 and it helps a lot (Also helps finding enemies, if you see a body of a teammate the enemy must still be nearby since otherwise the body would have disappeared)

Ram doesnt make any difference, unless you lack enough of it. 6gb is more than enough for any game that was released ever.

To op:

Seems like there is incompatibility between your hardware and the game. You may simply be using hardware that is beyond what Warband (or crpg can use). Did you try to play this game on some older pc?

Oh, and in case you have a backup GFX, check out whether the stronger one is activated. My friend had similar build like you, and couldnt even run dead island...until he realized that he switched to his secondary GFX and switched back to the gaming one.
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.

Offline Switchtense

• King
  • Renown: 1137
  • Infamy: 137
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • poking you where the sun dont shine!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Unicorns, BIRD CLAN BEST CLAN!
  • Game nicks: All sorts of Switch's
  • IRC nick: Switchtense
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 11:31:22 am »
I have had the same problem more or less.

Been running it at a constant 120 with graphics maxed out (My rig is much worse than yours except for a bit more RAM)
At some point I got fps drops to like 5fps or even less for a couple seconds every now and then and a constant drop to 80ish (ingame fps-meter says 80 but still felt incredibly spiky)

I set my shaders down, as well as shadows, anti aliasing and corpses/ragdolls and it works fine now.

Rarely get fps drops, looking to the floor zoomed in always boosts my fps back to 120 though.

No idea why my PC cannot handle the game at max, should still be good enough since I run other games at max, such as BF3 and Crysis and shit.

Try playing with out graphics settings. Set things to low-ish that you don't really need/notice ingame anyway.
For all the non-believers, look no further than this thread for proof that while strat battles are won/lost in NA3/EU3, strat wars are won and lost on the forums.

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 11:32:55 am »
I have had the same problem more or less.

Been running it at a constant 120 with graphics maxed out (My rig is much worse than yours except for a bit more RAM)
At some point I got fps drops to like 5fps or even less for a couple seconds every now and then and a constant drop to 80ish (ingame fps-meter says 80 but still felt incredibly spiky)

I set my shaders down, as well as shadows, anti aliasing and corpses/ragdolls and it works fine now.

Rarely get fps drops, looking to the floor zoomed in always boosts my fps back to 120 though.

No idea why my PC cannot handle the game at max, should still be good enough since I run other games at max, such as BF3 and Crysis and shit.

Try playing with out graphics settings. Set things to low-ish that you don't really need/notice ingame anyway.

Yeah WSE seems to have its flaws, sometimes I experience frame tearing and stuff for no apparent reason.
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 12:22:36 am »
Do not use WSE2 if your computer/cRPG version (??) somehow doesn't handles it. I got the same shit when I use WSE2, just running cRPG without gives me much better performances about fps.

(with wse, it's around 30, even 10 fps in any melee fight, big or small, without, it's around 70/90 fps). Hope you'll find a wayout about your problem. Also, welcome back!

Offline //saxon

• King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • I'm just to dam goood 😎
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Saxon
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 09:45:08 am »
have you tried updating your drivers?

and playing in DX9? i have a strong pc also, and when i play in DX7 cRPG runs like shit, but in DX9 its perfect constantly, make sure its DX9

and have you tried playing single player, or native multiplayer? if not do that and see if you get low fps, because it might just be cRPG.

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 05:15:19 pm »
+1
Is your soundcard using Realtek drivers?

If that's the case try disabling your sound completely and see if that helps with the problem.

Should that be the case there's a few things you can try, such as first updating your Realtek drivers if they're not newest, and if that doesn't fix it then set your default format under advanced properties to 16bit 441000Hz (cd quality).
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline Toi

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 11:25:33 am »
have you tried updating your drivers?

and playing in DX9? i have a strong pc also, and when i play in DX7 cRPG runs like shit, but in DX9 its perfect constantly, make sure its DX9

and have you tried playing single player, or native multiplayer? if not do that and see if you get low fps, because it might just be cRPG.

I was always using DX9.

It's not using a Realtek driver. :(

I manage to fix it by using the overdrive of my GPU tho. Drops are not that harsh anymore and it seems to be quite playable.

Offline Trikipum

• Count
  • Renown: 155
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 03:22:43 pm »
Check that your graphic card clocks are going up when you launch the game. Sometimes drivers get buggy and keep your graphic card at a reduced clock rate. A program like MSI afterburner might help you to check this.
"if you can't handle waiting a few minutes now and then, this game is not for you"