Author Topic: Cav Lancer - Damage Advice  (Read 1290 times)

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • Renown: 394
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mallets and his family
Cav Lancer - Damage Advice
« on: June 06, 2014, 07:39:13 am »
+1
Which will produce more damage for a Cav Lancer... Speed (Riding) or PS?  What gives me the best chance to one hit folks?  Not that I will... just, more of which will improve this chance.

Will use Light Lance exclusively.  Mixture of couch & stab... but more stab.  No loomz.  No 30+ (STF).

You may need a combination to both.  Maybe WPF is really important (have 175).  Just curious which is most important.

See current build below.  STF, so can respec anytime.  Just looking for some advice.

(click to show/hide)

Oh... and I really suck at this game!  That stat is surely needed.

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
Re: Cav Lancer - Damage Advice
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 11:18:53 am »
Go 15\24 old rond shield you dong reallyneed thatshield skill
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline NJ_Legion_Icedtea

• Count
  • Renown: 259
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norsemen
  • Game nicks: Norse_Icedtea
  • IRC nick: Icedtea
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 12:59:23 pm »
with that much agility and not much strength why not go lance? its only slightly more expensive and longer and does more damage, take a 1h sidearm if your horse dies and maybe put more WP in 1h.

Other than that you will have fun with that build :D

Offline Tojo

• Earl
  • Renown: 490
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
  • Long Live NA_1
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, HoC, Acre, MB, HG, Beserks
  • Game nicks: _Tojo, Drew_Brees, Tijo
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 09:05:03 pm »
+2
Hey mallets I saw you in NA 1 last night (I think), your build Is a little bit weird. Cavalry is different from infantry classes in this game do to the fact that head on attacks do not work very well. The main trick to playing any cav class is situational awareness. Never charge into enemies facing you , and never charge into an area your horse can't escape from. 

I'd say more but I'm typing from the toilet and I just finished.

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 09:21:06 pm »
+2
I recommend changing your weapon of choice to the Lance, although the light lance is a fantastic hoplite weapon, it leaves a bit to be desired for mounted usage, especially for an inexperienced cavalry player. I would recommend using a 21-18 or 18-21 build, myself. If you're absolutely dead-set on maxing IF (I wouldn't be, because if you get hit by anything riding down upon someone, you're going to probably get 1-hit without loomed armour anyway) then I suppose you'd be stuck to 15-21 or 18-18.

Before this recent patch, I was a 24-18 lancer with great success. I was high level with looms, which does make a big difference. It took me quite a while to figure out what worked and what didn't. The big thing is to WAIT

WAIT

WAIT

WAIT until some sort of friendly force engages the enemy. Even just charging to their spawn to kill afks, peasants, and late spawners is going to leave you deader than dead because of the attentive ranged players near spawn. Unless you're very skilled, attempting to lance any decent player head-on is tantamount to suicide. If you're playing cavalry, you can be successful at 1 or more of 3 things:

a)very very good at cav
b)a total back-stabbing/slashing cunt
c)dead

Since you don't have the requisite experienced needed to hideously outplay people head-on, your choices are to be a total back-stabbing cunt, or dead.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 09:48:33 pm »
If you're playing cavalry, you can be successful at 1 or more of 3 things:

a)very very good at cav
b)a total back-stabbing/slashing cunt
c)dead

:lol:
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 10:58:50 pm »
+2
:lol:

And some would go so far as to say that the ONLY way to be very very good at cav is to be a back-stabbing/slashing cunt, so there's also that.

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Dooz

• Duke
  • Renown: 674
  • Infamy: 165
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Horrible_Human
    • View Profile
    • Wasteland Fight Club
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 11:32:13 pm »
or you could do what lance cav is supposed to do and focus on enemy cav, either dehorsing or killing them outright. for that the higher speed/skill would indeed be helpful and damage is almost never an issue when two horses gallop at each other full speed. plus it also helps with the speed bonuses as you mentioned even against infantry.

but yeah if you're gonna be the typical crpg cav, maybe a little more strength would do.

21-24+ agi for lancing against cav, 18-21 agi for backstabbery

Offline Lemon_

• Earl
  • Renown: 343
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 12:32:14 am »
My Stats as 15/24 Cav
5 WM
5 PS
5 IF
8 Riding
149 Polearm WPF

Weps I use
MW Lance
MW War Spear
Champion Eastern War Horse
MW Lamellar Gauntlets
Druzhina Mail Armor
Rus Cavalry Boots
Long Turban helm

I fuck shit up. Lance does so much damage at MW and is yet so fast and long. Despite 0 ath, War spear gives you great ability on foot. 5 IF makes you tanky enough to take a hit easily, but can be substituted for 5 Ath if you really want. 8 Riding allows me to out-maneuver any other cav on the battlefield, which makes killing shitty HA really easy. Sometimes I switch from the Lance to one of the great lances. The 230 length allows you to outrange any wep, even pikes if you out-time them or catch them by surprise.

Offline Tojo

• Earl
  • Renown: 490
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
  • Long Live NA_1
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, HoC, Acre, MB, HG, Beserks
  • Game nicks: _Tojo, Drew_Brees, Tijo
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014, 03:11:11 am »
Listen to Sandy Yea if you are new to cav the length of great lance is best for practicing and learning the mechanics.

Then you can switch to a better weapon for stabs like a double sided lance like I use, I am a hipster cav and light lances and normal lances are too mainstream.

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2014, 05:40:40 am »
Thanks for advice guys!  Will try Lance.  And will try a more STR build.  Was under the impression that you just needed a bunch of speed on horseback to get a huge bonus to lance stabs.  Guess I was wrong.  You do need some decent PS.

Going to try a 21/18.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2014, 06:18:44 am »
+3
Thanks for advice guys!  Will try Lance.  And will try a more STR build.  Was under the impression that you just needed a bunch of speed on horseback to get a huge bonus to lance stabs.  Guess I was wrong.  You do need some decent PS.

Going to try a 21/18.

Your top speed doesn't change much with lots of riding, but your acceleration does. This is more useful if you have more experience at cav, as it allows you to stalk possible ganks or adjust to avoid melee and go from a near standstill to full lance damage almost instantly.

If you just want to plow around holding W the entire time hoping to get random killsteals, high riding doesn't matter so much because you are already going at top speed. Just use a Destrier or above and medium/heavy armor to survive a few arrows.

The most fun cav builds you should hybrid polearm WPF with either 1hand or 2hand. My build for the past year was a higher level 21/18 lancer/2hand cav, and I'd use +3 lance to couch grief and killsteal for the first few minutes of a round, and switch to 2hand once a big clusterfuck happened to stick in the fight with bumps and swings.  You could do this with 1hand as well, with added bonus of shield, which is recommended for a new lancer (always RMB if not killing shit). Use 18/18 for a lance/1hand build, 21/18 or 18/21 for pole or 2hand/lance.

Use a heavy lance for fighting other cav and couch abuse, the regular lance is more balanced and I prefer it.. heavy lance has very awkard timing because its so slow, but its impossible to counter a good heavy lance user 1vs1 except with pike/ls or a better timed heavy lance. Lance tears people up but a decent hoplite or 2hand sword will beat you. Light lance is terrible for cav.

Ignore most advice about only attacking people from behind, I don't know what they're talking about. Almost every melee player will try to attack you head on, including shielders. They jump back and try to rightswing unless you are clearly couching a lance at them. They literally jump into your lance and probably double your damage from speed bonus, its hilarious. Hoplites and 2handers I always attack head on with a lance as well, they usually aren't very good. If they are, remember a big trick is to slam the brakes on your horse right before contact. This makes an enemy lancer or infantry completely misjudge their timing and become vulnerable.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2014, 06:52:55 am »
+1
^Good advice. I prefer lance for all around.

Light lance is pretty much the polearm version of 1h/2h + shield, but it's even more defensive and deals less damage. It's extremely easy to bump stab, you can stab somewhat decently against shorter/non-stab weapons, and you can deal with head-on assaults from 1h/2h cav and lancers who don't time their attacks well. I don't recommend light lance unless you want to try out something more niche.

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2014, 11:25:36 pm »
Love the thorough advice Smoothrich!  Thanks for that!  Thanks for the confirmation San!