Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program  (Read 11218 times)

Offline Mr_Oujamaflip

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Ouj Reviews!
Re: Kerbal Space Program
« Reply #90 on: May 01, 2015, 01:47:06 pm »
+1
I assume this is worth a buy then.

Offline Andswaru

• Duke
  • Renown: 554
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • SeaRaider_
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen of Fenada / SeaRaiders
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Andswaru
« Reply #91 on: May 01, 2015, 08:33:19 pm »
On sale yes otherwise wait till its on sale again.
Smooth is the admin NA deserves. Not being that much better, EU deserves Thomek.
[18:25] <@chadz> soon(tm)

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2015, 12:24:04 am »
+2
My-oh-my the v.1 is finally out!! Had my mother visiting me this week, so no games/weed/tobacco/alcohol/drugs for me. So many games got updated on Steam in the meantime - will re-download all mods and start a new KSP career as soon as i put ma' mom on the plane next morning!

I assume this is worth a buy then.

This game is pure gold! A mix of minecraft, rocket/airplane/car simulator and algebra excel-sheet. It's incomparable with anything else really. Get a demo or something first, since you will either love it or hate it.

On an unrelated note, we had a dinner at Bistro Royal today, and I got pleasantly surprised by the level of service, quality of food, and reasonable prices. It's been some time since i had such a nice experience eating out. Definitely worth visiting if you live close by.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
  Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 18, 2015, 06:46:09 pm »
+5
I would like to share my first-person-view-locked mission to Minmus ( Kerbin's second moon ), hopefully this might intrigue someone enough to buy this wonderful game and begin their own space adventure!

This will be a sort of a very long log, focused on the key-stages of the mission, supplied with screenshots and some more ”game-technical” information in spoilers for those who are familiar with the game, and wants to complete an IVA-only mission of their own.

(click to show/hide)

And so the mission begins! Nelfurt Kerman – the first Kerbal on Minmus.

My last view of the ship before I take place in the pilot seat and get ready for launch!

Minmus Adventure Ship – 1b

(click to show/hide)

I am now inside of the cockpit, all the screens are adjusted to provide the basic information, and it feels a little claustrophobic with only a small window below. One of the cameras pointing out behind the pilot cabin gives me some comfort, even though I will have to rely on my instruments 99% of the time.

The first stage lifted me to 81km and separated without any issues, and I was ready to make a turn to horizon before igniting the second set of rockets:

After seeing only blackness of space and numbers on the instruments during the take off, it was a relief to rest my eyes on the sun:

While my ship was accelerating to establish an orbit around the Kerbin, it was time to activate my communications, and extend solar panels. The target for the dish had to be manually navigated through the on-board computer:

(click to show/hide)

All went according to plan, and I took an opportunity to stretch my legs 80km above the surface. Even though my on-screen vessel info showed no signs of trouble, I wanted to make sure that all off the equipment was still intact:

A quick test of the camera sends a clear picture down to remote-control room on the surface:

(click to show/hide)

All systems are in perfect order and I plan the next burn towards my final destination:

A new course is set to Minmus. This journey will take me several days, and so I decide to look at Kerbin one last time before drifting 50.000 km away:

A glitch in controls catapults my off the ladder before I was able to board the ship, and since I was stupid enough not to retract my solar panels before going out in space – one of them got caught in my path and the impact sent us both spinning away. When I finally managed to regain control and focus on my ship, I was already over 300m out:

(click to show/hide)

Upon my return the remote-control room confirmed that one of the panels was missing:

(click to show/hide)

Few days later Minmus can be observed through the window – at this point I will need to slow down my ship, and establish an orbit where I can park my main engine part, while descending to the surface to take samples and perform various measurements.

As I was getting ready to separate my lander, an alarm signal informed my about a malfunction on my ship – damn, it better not be a leakage in the main fueltank...

(click to show/hide)

A battery in my lander module is broken – unfortunate, but it can be fixed! Besides, I have my main battery intact, and there is a small back-up inside of the remote-control unit. Not a big deal!
I was out in the space inspecting the damaged battery, as I realized that my lack of engineering skill does not allow me to replace the broken part! There was nothing I could do, and I had to get back to continue my mission.

(click to show/hide)

I've successfully undocked my lander, and was on my way down to the surface of a frozen sea. It's flat terrain is ideal for an easy landing! Hovering at 500m:

(click to show/hide)

And so I am finally there! The first kerbal on Minmus – I proudly inspect my trusty lander, and smile on camera for Kerbin's remote-control room:

After all of the measurements were taken, samples packed, and it was time to assemble a beacon for the future landings - it became once again obvious, that my pilot training was not sufficient for this mission, as I had no idea how to handle the tools... At least this ground-base component can serve as a visual marker.

(click to show/hide)

I crawled back in my pilot chair, checked the comms, and initiated data transmissions back to Kerbin:

(click to show/hide)

It's time to say goodbye to Minmus and head back home! 10 days past since I felt wind on my face and warm food in my belly!

Auto-pilot took over the orbital docking with my main engine module, while the remote-control room is monitoring systems back on Kerbin:

(click to show/hide)

If my predictions were correct – there should be enough fuel to get back to Kerbin, and catch up with a “landing-pod ship” in 100km orbit.

I'm ready to leave my chair and head for the pod that will take me back to Kerbin! The ship will stay in orbit to be refuelled and re-used later:

(click to show/hide)

The tiny space of this early model cockpit feels raw and cold – It's been orbiting Kerbin for many months, and I hope that all of it's systems are still functioning... A rescue mission from Kerbin's surface would keep me in orbit for an extra day, and there are barely any supplies in this rusty can.

These first, poorly designed capsules were not made to be comfortable - the sold-fuel rocket went out of control close to the end of it's cycle, pushing my g-force tolerance to it's limits. But it was not the right time to panic – my parachutes had to be prepared for deployment as I entered Kerbin's atmosphere:

My speed was to high during the drogue-chute deployment, so the empty solid-fuel rocket snapped clean off and made me panic for a moment. Luckily nothing else got damaged and I was able to open my main parachute with no issues:

And so I was back home, standing on solid ground and breathing fresh air once again! It's been a long trip, but the results were worth the effort – a lot of data have been collected to help with exciting future projects, and the experience gained is as always invaluable!

Holy shit that was a long post. The end.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 18, 2015, 07:08:34 pm »
+4

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2015, 07:14:59 pm »
Brilliant mr Sweat! I really like your lander-rover.. And going all 1st person view takes balls, especially on a solid fuel rocket like that!.. I'd never dared. :)

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2015, 08:07:41 pm »
+1

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
« Reply #97 on: October 31, 2015, 01:29:46 am »
+3
So I got back to tinkering with spacesplanes. Now in 1.04 this is the most practical, ultimate machine I've made. Not pretty, but it gets the job done, very well!

It's been tested with 74 tonnes payload to LKO, with fuel to spare! Just make sure to gain level speed until around the 400m/s mark. Pull back on the stick until around 18 degrees over the horizon. Don't be too shy on the stick. If you gain too much speed at low altitude you will fry the pilot!! Slack down on the stick when approaching 14k meters, perhaps even before. Try to keep your apoapsis non higher than 29k meters at first, and try to gain around 1500m/s in atmospheric mode.

Whenever you get so high up the engines are not able to accelerate any longer, press 1 to switch to internal oxidizer. Keep nose a little above the horizon until apoapsis reads 70k. Then it's just a long slow float up there :) Give it a little push if you fall below.

However, I don't see how you will be able to fill it to 74 tonnes unless you haul ore to space, so it should be an easy ride in most practical cases. Just make sure to not overheat in the lower atmo and you will be fine. Landing is also fine, it's built with the ruggedest landing wheels there is.

I do imagine it would be pretty scary to fly in cockpit only mode though ;)  One could consider adding a tilting mechanism to the cockpit to see better?

(It is also extremely weight efficient, 41+% payload fraction! For a practical, solid, usable ship :)

album
http://imgur.com/gallery/LWeFs/new
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 01:36:07 am by Thomek »

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 01, 2015, 07:06:09 pm »
It looks awesome! Very much rocket-shaped, hard to imagine them tiny wings can give enough lift, hmmm... I assume it's either very tipsy and takes awfully long time to climb out of the atmosphere, or it has lots of thrust, propelling itself more as a rocket.
"1500m/s in atmospheric mode" - at what altitude is that? Idk if it's because of the mods, but the jets seem to run out of oxygen at around 15km... The combined thrust of the hybrid engines is around 1050 in the atmosphere - that's not much for 74t :)
Are you using parachutes for breaking on the ground when landing as a plane would, or do you land vertically, like a capsule? Some prefer to play with stock parts, and it fine as it equals the challenge and makes it easier to share the design, etc., but if you install Kerbal Aircraft Expansion - you will get control surfaces that can be used as spoilers: two surfaces on each wing turn in opposite directions ( "perpendiculary" against the wing's surface ) and create a massive drag that makes your plane lose speed rapidly. And you also get propeller engines in that pack - useful in career mode, and they look cool, fitting nicely with stock parts.

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
« Reply #99 on: November 02, 2015, 02:26:52 pm »
It's all stock, and actually sports 10 rapiers.. Plenty of thrust. It also lands normally on a runway. Tested and it works, even when heavy.  Yes I have chutes for landing.

I should however do some small modifications. Make sure to replace my RCS thrusters with linear ones (less drag) Check some overheating values on other parts etc.. it's a work in progress :) The 1500m/s thing is at around 20km altitude. About wings, yeah they are on the small side because that's what looks good.. :D Also you only really need them during takeoff and landing. Once you push trough 250m/s in the thick soup that is the air at low altitude you have more than enough.

All in all I'm happy because it's a relatively rough and tough design, that can withstand everyday abuse... It's truly a tug to orbit :) If anything, it should probably be longer so one could actually use more of the lift capacity.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 02:32:19 pm by Thomek »