Author Topic: Are shields worth it anymore?  (Read 956 times)

Offline Crob28

• Count
  • Renown: 247
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Are shields worth it anymore?
« on: May 19, 2014, 02:47:42 pm »
+3
Recently I respecced from my 21/15 shielder build, having grown a bit frustrated at just how slow I was compared to most other people.  Now I'm 15/21, which mostly solves the speed issue, still a tiny bit slower than most due to the extra weight, etc but its bearable.

The problem however, is that even with 7 shield skill and a MP shield, the damn thing is still destroyed in 3-4 hits by anyone with a bonus against shield weapon (which is quite a lot these days) and doesn't even last that long against others.  It seems kinda pointless to invest so heavily into a skill (aside from my personal belief that 1h shield is very UP atm) when it is so easily nullified.

Anyone else find this?

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
Re: Are shields worth it anymore?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 03:05:59 pm »
+1
I have 7PS and a +3 Abdullah and when I come across a shielder that hasn't taken a beating I often have to blast them for 6-10 shots before the shield goes down. I'm pretty much a dedicated shield smashing machine. I think you may be over stating it a weee bit.

The answer though is yes, shields are pointless unless you are couching a lance.

I take a an old round shield with my 2h build, it's all I need for the occasional bit of protection from the rain. It weighs fuck all and once it's +3 it should be fairly decent. I can take a couch with with, or use it as a battering ram to launch into the middle of a group of infantry before bring Abdullah out to play, does just fine.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 03:15:32 pm by FRANK_THE_TANK »
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 03:13:13 pm »
+2
Your post does not describe the actual reasons why shields are crap. However, shields are crap regardless.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 03:18:23 pm »
1 hand w/shield is great for skirmishing..you can get into people's faces with a lot less risk than without the shield. Your presence even when just holding right click creates risk for an enemy with very low risk for yourself. Do that with team mates around you and you can put pressure on someone without doing anything and just wait for an opportunity. They are really good in team fights imo

They are the only thing in the game that can reduce enemy ranged damage to 0, except if theres no line of sight or the enemy misses

Axes should destroy shields pretty fast because thats their role in the game. You just have to avoid axes or put the shield away if you're forced to fight one. Taking 7 points in shield could perhaps have some extra benefit than now..I haven't tested but maybe it could do more damage with bashes?

1 handers are very good by themselves or with a shield..probably the best selection of animations in the game when it comes to versatility and speed with good damage. Add to that they are 1 or 0 slot. Look at the Broad Short Sword (0 slot!). With that you can take a shield a good crossbow and ammo. For the effectiveness of 1 handers most shouldn't even be 1 slot let alone 0
If you have ranged troubles use this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 03:27:30 pm »
+4
Fuck the animations, fuck blocking, you know why meryn fucking trant is alive and your friend is dead? Because he had armour and a big fucking sword.

2H FOREVER!
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 03:39:59 pm »
+1
2 lps + 55555 gold, Frank.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 04:28:13 pm »
+2
Go str based shielder, 21/15 is what i did, full IF. Plate up and equip a sturdy shield, bam you are ready to go into a mass of enemies and left swing to victory, shield helps A LOT to get yourself into good positions of clusterfuck without having to tank much hits.

Just avoid axes in general or try to keep pressure on the untill a teammate arrives to kill quickly before he can wack at your shield.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Crob28

• Count
  • Renown: 247
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 04:30:32 pm »
+2

They are the only thing in the game that can reduce enemy ranged damage to 0, except if theres no line of sight or the enemy misses

You've never been shot at point blank range with your shield raised have you? :P

Offline SP1N

• Duke
  • Renown: 585
  • Infamy: 22
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: N1PS, SP1N
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 04:40:54 pm »
I've found more recently that shields can tank a good bit of hits with just 4 shield skill. (Axes and bardiches will destroy it in a good 2-3 hits, but you should be nudging them away anyway)

Also, when on a shielder my main purpose is to keep enemies engaged so other people can swing on their blindside. Watching 2h/polearms try to spam or reach around the shield is just hilarious when they end up getting mauled by a teammate.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 04:46:37 pm »
+1
You've never been shot at point blank range with your shield raised have you? :P
I guess so.
Getting shot at point blank reach is pretty much a problem only unexperienced shielders have.

Offline Jarl_Onurb

• Count
  • Renown: 201
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Onurb
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 04:49:54 pm »
+2
I am actually playing with a inf/cav shielder hybrid, 15/21 6Ath 6Riding 7WM 5PS 5Shield; I usualy get good scores (I even play with 200 ping all day every day) so in my opinion Shielder is the easiest class ever, at least for those who have high delay as me.

The best advices I can give you to play shielder properly are:
_ALWAYS avoid weapons wiht bonus against shield, those weapons are aimed to destroy shielders, it has no sense to try to counter them with a shield.
_If you are going STR shielder try to get a fast shield or weapon(Elite Cav Shield + some blunt weapon or Heavy round shield + scotish sword or somthing like that)
_In my opinion if you are going Shielder NEVER waste points in IF, you have a fucking shield why would you want more HP?
_Also, try to go medium-light armour; shield reduces your swing speed a lot, heavy armour does too.
_Don't go full Shield(Ability), only get enough point to use the shield you want, it is worthless to put more than you need.

Sorry about my bad english :)

Offline Johammeth

• King
  • Renown: 1077
  • Infamy: 81
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ConnectiKUTT
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 05:20:51 pm »
+2
I dunno, when I run into a GLB/axe dude my nudge button usually takes more of a beating than my shield.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 05:38:38 pm »
+1
I dunno, when I run into a GLB/axe dude my nudge button usually takes more of a beating than my shield.

Shh...don't let the secret out. Neutral shield nudge is unreliable, but it's actually more reliable than shield blocks in terms of avoiding a hit. It also does solid damage (20-23blunt), which will seriously hurt people with <50 head armor if you aim it at their head.

Offline Mr.K.

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 05:43:29 pm »
+2
_Also, try to go medium-light armour; shield reduces your swing speed a lot

It doesn't. Afaik shield has no effect on 1H weapons whatsoever.

Offline cup457

• Earl
  • Renown: 490
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RavenR_cup457
  • IRC nick: cup457
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 09:26:48 pm »
+1
I use a shield mostly to stop arrows before i get into melee and as long as the shield lasts in melee. I just use it as a 1h that blocks ranged
CUP CLAN BEST CLAN
Okay, I need your protection, your love. :P