Author Topic: Flambard needs a small buff  (Read 822 times)

Offline Apsod

• Duke
  • Renown: 698
  • Infamy: 98
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Donate a few denari to the farmers of Calradia!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Apsod
Flambard needs a small buff
« on: May 11, 2014, 12:55:29 am »
Now that we have an active balancing team I think this issue needs to be adressed. Ever since the Flambard was added its stats have been quite bad and I can't seem to find a reason why that is. Maybe I am overlooking something, if so then please let me know.

Pretty much any top-tier 2H is better than Flambard atm. Its stats are just bad.

(click to show/hide)
And if that wasn't enough. The Flambard has the same problem as the Katana when it comes to its stab. Its pretty much useless, unless its MW, but even then its still pretty bad.

Its pretty much a crappy version of the SoW or the Claymore.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
Re: Flambard needs a small buff
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 01:48:38 am »
+1
I believe that at that length, a single point in speed weighs more heavily than a single cut damage and especially a single stab at such low values. At such a small difference in weight, I believe they each have their own tradeoffs instead of the lighter weapon being counted as a pure disadvantage.

That being said, a one point pierce increase, maybe even two, wouldn't hurt. Good speed and length offsets the poor stab damage. I believe it deals enough damage to stun and accumulate decent damage at a distance, which easily sets it apart from the dao weapons. There are other weapons with even worse stabs that probably need to be addressed at the same time.

Offline Apsod

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 02:00:14 am »
I believe that at that length, a single point in speed weighs more heavily than a single cut damage and especially a single stab at such low values. At such a small difference in weight, I believe they each have their own tradeoffs instead of the lighter weapon being counted as a pure disadvantage.

That being said, a one point pierce increase, maybe even two, wouldn't hurt. Good speed and length offsets the poor stab damage. I believe it deals enough damage to stun and accumulate decent damage at a distance, which easily sets it apart from the dao weapons. There are other weapons with even worse stabs that probably need to be addressed at the same time.
I agree that one speed is better than one cut, but I think that the Flambard loses too much for its extra speed.

While I don't really like using weapons like the Flambard that can stab, but does so badly. I still think it should stay that way, because its nice to have some more unique weapons. So how about instead of giving  it one or two extra pierce then instead give it one extra cut and possibly one extra pierce.

Offline San

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 02:39:56 am »
+1
That could work with a price increase imo (as well as +1 damage the alt mode). The reason why I didn't mention cut was that I wanted it to be too good compared to miaodao/dadao, although 2cut/ 1 speed 1 cut still isn't too bad of a tradeoff for the stab if it stays mediocre. I'm not an expert on 2h, but it sounds okay to me.

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 05:42:00 am »
If u gonna buff Flambard, please also move it to 12k price range.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 01:12:07 pm »
As I read it, the flambard is already much better than the danish.

Offline Apsod

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 01:52:28 pm »
As I read it, the flambard is already much better than the danish.
Not at all. I find the Danish to be slightly UP compared to swords like the SoW, but still better than the Flambard. The 7 extra lenght really makes a huge difference.
(click to show/hide)
If the Flambard gets +1 cut and +1 pierce then I think a small buff would be due for both the German and the Danish as well though.

Maybe a +1 pierce for the German and a +1 cut for the Danish?

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 08:17:33 pm »
Nevermind, I didn't read your post correctly. It's the SOW that seems OP compared to the danish, but I already knew that.

Offline Aksei

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 03:08:14 pm »
2h class is OP, no need to buff flambard, nerf the others, then there is some balance

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 01:14:20 am »
I thought the whole gimick with the flambard was that it had way more superior halfsword mode than the other greatswords?

Don't got one myself, but heard people talking about it.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline San

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 02:14:31 am »
alt mode is 95 speed, 38c, 26p. The other weapons receive -2 speed on their alt modes and have even less cut, but their stabs are vastly superior. The only one that doesn't lose speed is the estoc, with 99 speed, 26c, and 32p. Difficult to say if the flambard's is that much better.