Author Topic: Spear/lance thrusting.  (Read 574 times)

Offline Toc_the_Younger

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans.
  • Game nicks: GK_Toc_the_Younger.
Spear/lance thrusting.
« on: April 02, 2014, 04:00:40 am »
Would it be possible changing all the spears/lances upper attack to an upper thrust instead of that sort of overhead?

I'm referring to something alike what you can see in the Napoleonic DLC where you have two thrusts (upper one and lower one) with bayoneted muskets.

Fighting with a lance would become quite awesome and it would be even greater making it possible while wielding a shield.

This way playing as a polearm shielder would become a lot more effecting... and fun.

It would also become more challenging fighting against those "classes" since you wouldn't just have to hold the down block and get close.

Thank you for your attention.  :wink:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Switchtense

• King
  • Renown: 1137
  • Infamy: 137
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • poking you where the sun dont shine!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Unicorns, BIRD CLAN BEST CLAN!
  • Game nicks: All sorts of Switch's
  • IRC nick: Switchtense
Re: Spear/lance thrusting.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 07:47:39 am »
+3
too op

imagine an owlpike with 36p on both up and down stab
get ath and wm for 170wpf and there is no way people could block effectively against some feints and a stab in quick succession while running around with 7+ath
For all the non-believers, look no further than this thread for proof that while strat battles are won/lost in NA3/EU3, strat wars are won and lost on the forums.

Offline Toc_the_Younger

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 10:34:12 am »
I never said a word about awlPIKE.  :lol:

I'm mainly talking about: war spear, red tassel spear, the lances and some of the short spears.

Something should be done at least for the polearm+shield combination.

Offline Switchtense

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 11:07:40 am »
+5
I never said a word about awlPIKE.  :lol:

I'm mainly talking about: war spear, red tassel spear, the lances and some of the short spears.

Something should be done at least for the polearm+shield combination.

ok but how does that cancel out my point?

have you ever duelled against a spamming or skilled war spear user, red tassel, spear, shortened spear etc etc etc?

give them the ability to feint overhead and downstab that you cannot tell apart animation wise, together with the occasional sideswing and there is no way in hell you can live through the duel for longer than 10 seconds if you are an ironflesh hoarder

lances: you apparently are GK so you probably dont have the problem yourself often, but i can imagine nearly everyone else has been impaled by cav often enough, now imagine a lancer being able to stab and overhead stab -> op
if that was disabled like the overhead swing: same problem as awlpike, its just as fast, even longer so it can be used as a support weapon more effectively, and overhead stab hits the head with ease -> op

and the hoplite only has one attack direction for a reason: hes got the longest reaching animation of all, with terrific damage (ashwood: 33p) at good speed (94speed) AND a shield that blocks melee in all directions as well as arrows (provided you know how to use the shield properly)
if a hoplite wants more directions he can put the shield on his back, giving away the advantage of easier blocking, but gaining attack directions

conclusion: overhead stab should stay in NW where its useful and not too op (cause of slow attack speed and movement speed)
in crpg its absolutely op no matter for which weapon
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 11:12:39 am by Switchtense »
For all the non-believers, look no further than this thread for proof that while strat battles are won/lost in NA3/EU3, strat wars are won and lost on the forums.

Offline Toc_the_Younger

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 08:26:23 pm »
+1
Lately playing on horseback has been so expesive I've been force to be infantry. :lol:

Not to talk about how cav as been nerfed patch after patch... which basically meant the death of GKs as clan.

Anyway...

I'm not talking about giving that possibility to mounted polearmers too.

I'm talking just about infantry. Also the fact that a fight could be more challenging doesn't annoy me, instead I do look for one.

You talk about duelling a skilled polearmer... What about a skilled 2hander?

There is no much difference between any long 2h swords and spears as the war spear and red tassel one. Yet swords have a far more powerful overhead and their trust can even out rage spears (which sounds crazy, but while you hold the spear in it's center, you hold a sword by the hilt).

In any case, I would enjoy the fight against both and I wouldn't care if I win or lose as long as it is a good fight.

About the ashwood... isn't it a pike?

Once more I'm talking about the spears and, maybe, lances.

Anyway, mine was just a suggestion for the devs to evaluate.

I think it would be a nice add and it would make playing as an "hoplite" far more interesting, yet it's not my decision.

About your problems with skilled spear user...

Learn to parry.  :lol:

Offline Switchtense

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 09:20:02 pm »
Lately playing on horseback has been so expesive I've been force to be infantry. :lol:

Not to talk about how cav as been nerfed patch after patch... which basically meant the death of GKs as clan.

Anyway...

I'm not talking about giving that possibility to mounted polearmers too.

I'm talking just about infantry. Also the fact that a fight could be more challenging doesn't annoy me, instead I do look for one.

You talk about duelling a skilled polearmer... What about a skilled 2hander?

There is no much difference between any long 2h swords and spears as the war spear and red tassel one. Yet swords have a far more powerful overhead and their trust can even out rage spears (which sounds crazy, but while you hold the spear in it's center, you hold a sword by the hilt).

In any case, I would enjoy the fight against both and I wouldn't care if I win or lose as long as it is a good fight.

About the ashwood... isn't it a pike?

Once more I'm talking about the spears and, maybe, lances.

Anyway, mine was just a suggestion for the devs to evaluate.

I think it would be a nice add and it would make playing as an "hoplite" far more interesting, yet it's not my decision.

About your problems with skilled spear user...

Learn to parry.  :lol:

2hs dont have 2 animations that look the same, while overhead stab and downstab look the same

and im not saying you dont stand a chance now against a spear user, but if you give them 2 animations, that do incredibly much damage and at the same time look the same you will not be able to block every hit

even if the ashwood is a pike, you dont seem to get my point about a hoplite with 2 directional attacks would be too op, as well as any kind of spear or lance with overhead stab

Offline Daunt_Flockula

• Marshall
  • Renown: 870
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
  • Step aside peasants!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pixel Paladins
  • Game nicks: Cock_Blockula Kunt_Blockula Daunt_Flockula
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 09:36:02 pm »
+1
give them the ability to feint overhead and downstab that you cannot tell apart animation wise, together with the occasional sideswing and there is no way in hell you can live through the duel for longer than 10 seconds if you are an ironflesh hoarder

True words here. The overhead stab was moderately offputting in WFAS and then in Napoleonic, well, let me just note that rapid spamming of normal and overhead stabs singlehandedly made me hate NW mod. I played 1 or 2 days and never touched it again. An entire battlefield crawling with bayonet and spear spammers really felt as lame as it humanely could.

Offline Afina

• Earl
  • Renown: 316
  • Infamy: 135
  • cRPG Player
  • «This is where we fight, this is where they die!!»
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Other
  • Game nicks: Afina
  • IRC nick: Afina
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 08:30:14 am »
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 08:39:19 am by Afina »
Madness…? This is Sparta!

Offline Aksei

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 10:17:14 am »
Its only nice if spears are slow. Dont think it would fit in crpq

Offline Switchtense

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 11:39:16 am »
Its only nice if spears are slow. Dont think it would fit in crpq

why did i write that much if i could have just summed it up like you did? :D