Author Topic: This was the first time I thought thoroughtly of terminator franchise story...  (Read 402 times)

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
And it made no goddamn sense.

The story goes that the second skynet gained consciousness, it released about 50 nukes to wipe out humanity. However, as we know, nuclear weapons not only cause huge life form casualties, but also great material damage. So how the heck, after whole world got nuked to fuck, could it build an army of robots?

As far as I know, it gained consciousness by injecting itself into the interned web, taking over all computers in the world. Then it goes and destroys not only most technology on planet earth, but also source of power for all electronics, because power plants would be destroyed along with all other stuff. Not to mention there wouldnt be anyone and anything to run them.

Not only that, but humans would not have any actual chance of survival, even in those nuclear shelters. It was a fucking catastrophe when Chernobyl plant exploded, now imagine 50 explosions that are several times stronger. The world as we know it would literaly fall apart, with ozone shield gone, it would get burned to crisp. And even if we ignored that, there is still massive radiation pollution EVERYWHERE, and athmosphere would also warm up tremendously.

There is other stuff, but this has seemed to me as the worst story-wise crime in the series as whole.

EDIT:
To schizo:

Oh stop it...you :D

« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 04:51:30 pm by Nightmare798 »
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.

Offline SirCymro_Crusader

• King
  • Renown: 1095
  • Infamy: 134
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Terminator's a prequel to Fallout....duh....after the robots started killing everything on the surface they went into vaults and shit

(click to show/hide)

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Terminator's a prequel to Fallout....duh....after the robots started killing everything on the surface they went into vaults and shit

(click to show/hide)

Well at least fallout made it sound believable, since (correct me if I am wrong), china launched nukes on america, and amercia launched nukes on china, but the rest of the world only suffered the radiation fallout, but not the nuclear explosions themselves.
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.

Offline SirCymro_Crusader

• King
  • Renown: 1095
  • Infamy: 134
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Well at least fallout made it sound believable, since (correct me if I am wrong), china launched nukes on america, and amercia launched nukes on china, but the rest of the world only suffered the radiation fallout, but not the nuclear explosions themselves.

You got me....

Terminator to me isn't that great, I wasn't a huge fan of it tbh, just doesn't interest me

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
You got me....

Terminator to me isn't that great, I wasn't a huge fan of it tbh, just doesn't interest me

I understand, me neither. But the trilogy was on the tv recently again, and it really made me think about it.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
I don't feel movies like that need to stand up to much scrutiny. Its just an excuse to have some action/suspense etc in an interesting setting with cyborgs. If you over analyse it it can spoil it

If you want a realistic depiction of nuclear war try something like Threads:

[youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AUYCnzmDJY[/youtube]

If you have ranged troubles use this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
Remember that you are trying to seek reason in a movie with Ahhnud in it.

Don't. Just sit back and enjoy.  :mrgreen:

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
You don't need coherent motives to drive a semi down the storm drains

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
Dont watch those last two shitty movies. Read the books that were the stories that the movie directors cannibalized, shit out, put in a blender, then added their own shitty "ideas" with a corpse of Arnold Schwarzeneggar infesting the whole thing.

The first and 2nd movie are fine. Great job. But for the 3rd and 4th you need to ditch the movies andread the following books :

For Terminator 3, read Terminator 2: The John Connor Chronicles Book 1: Dark Futures. It takes place after T2 Judgement Day and should have been faithfully recreated as T3.

For Terminator 4, read The Official Movie Prequel Terminator Salvation: From the Ashes by Timothy Zahn. I was seething after the movie when they served up that steaming pile after reading such an awesome storyline. Terminator Salvation could have been a contender for one of the best Sci-fi films of all time, but no. (Timothy Zahn, by the way, is the author who nearly single-handedly revived the Star Wars extended universe with his "Hand of Thrawn" trilogy. At least Disney isn't stupid enough to try to film that as their first intro into the new Star Wars movies. It would have gotten fanboi backlash no matter what they did. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrawn_trilogy Besides, they need to film Luke, Leia, and Han 30 years later before they all start to die. And Lando! Don't forget Lando!)

"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln