Author Topic: Help with my Horse xbowmen -_-  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Zekerage

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ZyloRage
Help with my Horse xbowmen -_-
« on: May 16, 2011, 12:07:56 pm »
So I wanted to play a horse xbow because I just finished MW-ing my Light xbow. I thought it'd be decently fun, but lo and behold, I can't hit a god damn thing unless I stop, sit still, and take the time to fire. I don't know if it works this way anymore or not, But I read a few times that Speed bonus is applied to Bolts launched from a xbow that's fired from the back of a galloping horse. Is there something I'm missing, or is higher Wpf/HA just a Must? My completed build will look like this:

Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)

Strength: 15
    Agility: 24
    Hit points: 50

Skills to attributes: 8

Ironflesh: 0
    Power Strike: 5
    Shield: 0
    Athletics: 1
    Riding: 5
    Horse Archery: 4
    Power Draw: 0
    Power Throw: 0
    Weapon Master: 8

One Handed: 1
    Two Handed: 150
    Polearm: 1
    Archery: 1
    Crossbow: 113
    Throwing: 1

I accidentally put 1 in Athletics because I forgot wtf my build was when I had leveled. Atm, I'm sitting at 102 wpf with the xbow, 3 HA, and 5 ride, as I mentioned, If I'm moving at all, only the divine power of the Xbow gods allow me to hit things every once in a while. Advice? Thanks in advance.

-ZyloRage22
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 12:08:59 pm by Zekerage »

Offline LordRichrich

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 115
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Help with my Horse xbowmen -_-
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 12:45:36 pm »
100 wpf in your melee and then max out xbow

Offline yiyayiyayo

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 02:52:14 pm »
Does HA affect xbow? I dont think so.

If you want shoot while moving , you should treat yourself as a thrower. Shoot in throwing range.

I think horse xbowman is a good counter to cavs, Just get close to a cav , aim and shoot ,run away while reloading, then come back.   
You needn't stop when shoot at point throwing range.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 02:54:40 pm by yiyayiyayo »

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 02:57:12 pm »
Does HA affect xbow? I dont think so.
I think it does. Even horse throwers take HA, if i recall corectly.

Offline LordRichrich

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 115
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 03:06:38 pm »
From experience it does. I had the same 15 str build, 150+ xbow wpf is a must :)

Offline Zekerage

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ZyloRage
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 01:46:43 am »
HA Definitely affects xbows on horse back. From what I remember reading, you take a WPF hit when on horseback, and HA lowers that hit. At the very least, my reticule is significantly smaller. Also, I thought Walt or someone else proved that for the Light xbow, 125 doesn't make it any smaller for xbow, and having a MW light xbow SHOULD mean I shouldn't need even that. Also, my 2h WPF is already and 125. Also, ALSO, I usually try to be in their god damn FACE before I shoot, and even though they're taking up the entire reticule, the Bolts still miss. I almost feel it's better TO stop and/or get off my horse, and just shoot that way. Does anyone know whether or not the area of the reticule the bolt goes depends on how fa you're turned on your horse? It seems when I'm turned left, the lower left area of the reticule is where it goes, and the same for the right/lower right.

Offline ShinySpoons

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: RS
  • Game nicks: AltOfSpoons
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 09:21:10 am »
Hey Zylo :)

Experience with my HA tells me A)You don't have enough wpf and B) The reticule lies.

A) Even with HA 4 there's still a fair dent to your accuracy on anything faster then a trot. My bow wpf is 150, polearm 109 (the polearm wpf has become useless with slot system). At any decent speed, hitting things on purpose is unlikely, I overcome this by spamming arrows in a general direction.

B)Are you using over the shoulder or first person? If ots, you'll find that it takes some time for your shoulders to align with the reticule. The reticule at the limit of your shoulder turning is also not accurate. Often, the reticule will still be there when you're actually aiming in your blind spot. The reverse is also true, I've shot people when my reticule has disappeared but knew the bow was pointing in the right way.

If you're not already using it, first person is more truthful to where you're actually aiming then ots. This is especially true for close range shots as the reticule and where the bow is pointing is not the same for either very low or very high depression shots. So, I suggest you stick with first person for shooting unless you want to just get used to the slight discrepancy.   

P.S On a personal note, if I could redo my 12/24 HA build I would have given myself 180wpf. Once i retire though I'm going with 7-8pd and just sit, slightly out of reach as I spam khergit arrows...

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 09:24:02 am by ShinySpoons »