Author Topic: Ballistae shield penetration  (Read 356 times)

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
Ballistae shield penetration
« on: March 25, 2014, 04:03:09 pm »
Does anyone know the damage of ballistae? I notice that my +3 Knightly Heater Shield with 39 armor isn't penetrated at range by ballistae (20+3*39=149 pierce required to penetrate, but damage decreases with distance). Less robust shields seem to be penetrated.

I'm guessing ~150 pierce?

Offline Huscarlton_Banks

• Earl
  • Renown: 404
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
  • Blatant nudge spammer
    • View Profile
Re: Ballistae shield penetration
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 11:29:14 am »
The items text file indicates that itm_ballista_launcher does 250 pierce, though I guess that may not be the real number.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
Re: Ballistae shield penetration
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 02:00:25 pm »
+1
The items text file indicates that itm_ballista_launcher does 250 pierce, though I guess that may not be the real number.

Interesting. Maybe ballistae follow different rules for shield penetration than crossbow bolts? Because 250>(30+3*39). The 250p number seems plausible, because I've seen the fattest tin cans barely survive a ballista shot to the chest (would do 80ish dmg to 79 armor at range)

I'm trying to see if I can get away with a lower armor shield and still stop ballista bolts. I love charging up to a loaded ballista, harmlessly catching the shot in my shield, then hacking the operator. That always induces some rage.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 02:08:59 pm by Phew »