Author Topic: Varyag's testimony on the current state of cRPG  (Read 25485 times)

Offline Pawiu

• Count
  • Renown: 258
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
  • RUN, FUCKING RUN
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Polearm for life
  • Game nicks: Pawiu
Re: Varyag's testimony on the current state of cRPG
« Reply #255 on: December 23, 2014, 05:33:55 am »
Hi folks,

To start with, this is not a rage or drama thread (I hope). It’s the voice of despaired.

In this thread I will share with you my thoughts and concerns on the current state of cRPG project. To start with, I will present my cRPG experience, just to show that I have a right to say.

I started playing cRPG the next week it came public. I was the second player that bought horse in cRPG, which was immensely expensive at that time.  I am a member of Mercs clan. I am a donator. Also, this week I was permanently banned on all EU servers for attacking friendly tincans with my LVL 1 CHAR ARMED WITH KNIFE! Yes, I am a dangerous man!

It gave me time to think about what’s going on in cRPG.

Ok, enough about me, I shall get to the topic. What we now call the “early cRPG beta” (and what I consider the only true cRPG) attracted me in the first place with the idea that I could have a persistent character THAT IS CONSTANTLY IMPROVING AND DEVELOPING. I.e. every time you levelled up at that time, or bought new piece of equip, was like a holiday, a celebration if you wish. Huge amounts of joy, and I am very grateful to chadz for these moments! Levelling was very slow, items were very expensive, cRPG life was full of meaning. The dev team is constantly talking about balance, nerfs, rebalance, tweaks. IMHO the “early beta” paradoxically was the most balanced and joyful cRPG experience I had so far. You may disagree with that, but THAT’S MY IMHO.

So, where are we now? Where is that CONSTANTLY IMPROVING AND DEVELOPING thing now? Well, pretty much it’s gone. As soon as you hit lvl 31 (and for me it takes about one week and a half), the IMPROVING AND DEVELOPING part is over, since I can afford pretty much everything, every equip. I am not a cRPG millionaire, but I have 200k gold and masterwork primary weapon. As for levelling, as you know, lvl 35 is the cap, and there is no big difference between lvls 31 and 35. So, personally I kept playing only for the sake of funny fights, 3 vs 1 fights I can win, for adrenalin. Now tell me what is the big difference between current cRPG and Warband? In both games players have same levels, same weapons (albeit a bit smaller variability in Warband), same armors. And this is very sad. I mean, c’mon, when was the last time we saw large scale PEASANT WARS?

Another thing that bothers me is the ease with which you can be teamkilled and can teamkill yourself. No real penalties. IMHO this is a shame. Now if you teamkill someone, your whole team suffers (as if it is their fault), while before only you were personally responsible for TKs. And responsibility was harsh, and for good. I would be glad to see the old TK penalty system back.

To conclude, cRPG is clearly loosing it’s magic, and this is sad. And probably very soon cRPG will lose me (which will make some of you, my old virtual enemies, very happy, but I really don’t care).

I hope this testimony will trigger some deep reflection in general public and the dev team. And no disrespect meant.
i wanted to reply to this post
then i niticed that its 4 y old
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Radament

• King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • ☑Yes ☒No
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction
  • Game nicks: «Radament» «Miasma»
« Reply #256 on: December 23, 2014, 05:37:09 am »

Offline karasu

• King
  • Renown: 1751
  • Infamy: 316
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • D̶͎̳͒́͗͋ẹ͕̲̠̳̄̃͂ͤ͑ͮṃ̮͎̗̦̏̿͊ͤi̥̪̼͕ͦ̀̊̐ȗ̘rͩ͋̅̊gͭ̿̋
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 23, 2014, 12:38:49 pm »
+1
attention whore

Label given to any person who craves attention to such an extent that they will do anything to receive it. The type of attention (negative or positive) does not matter.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #258 on: December 23, 2014, 03:00:38 pm »
+2
Turtles

Offline SyderOne

• Count
  • Renown: 168
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ISLAMIC STATE
  • Game nicks: Syder // Azzam
« Reply #259 on: December 23, 2014, 03:52:05 pm »
+2
Im still playing ... ( Vanguard_Syder/Vanguard_Happy) and I will continue playing until either the last. It's True the mod has undergone many changes ( the most really bad ), for example when cav was nerfed  all GK clan directly left the mod ... and more examples like that. A lot of unbalanced changes ( thx Tydeus ), archery got nerfed a lot of times too .. etc. The main and most important is that we need more new players or old again... dunno how for example with double xp days, maybe get back ladders on some maps ( not all! )...

« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 04:02:59 pm by SyderOne »

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2179
  • Infamy: 1520
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 23, 2014, 04:18:35 pm »
+1
I'm not even sure is the balance reason for low population. For example, the most populated native server is neoGK*Siege_best which is a copy of original neoGK*Siege which now has third of its original population. What is the reason for that? neoGK*Siege_best is run by former member of the same clan as original server but the thing is, he's Turkish and server is located in Turkey. This game is predominantly played by Turks and eastern Europeans.

Another example is Sebastian's Battle of Europe mod. Very similar to cRPG but different and improved in many ways. Less errors and glitches than both cRPG and Native. Improved graphics. Had short surge of low population, right now effectively dead.

Point being is, when chadz announced M:BG, Turkish part of Warband/cRPG population wasn't pleased. Their clans abandoned the mod awhile ago. Followed by bigger part of large eastern EU clans (Druzhina and Greys). Only remnants of those clans still play the game.

It is all about being able to pull large amount of people to your game. Chivalry guys had (barely) successful Kickstarter during golden age of games crowdfunding. But they managed to sell million of copies because: a) they are American developer (this is very important, Witcher 3 will never sell as much CDProject wants because they aren't from USA), b) they emerged in a limbo where Warband was moderately old and weren't many similar games (WotR was huge fail).

I don't think so that things will go well for future new games in this genre, market for them isn't growing because no one who can make it grow isn't making these type of games (like Blizzard). Mount&Blade is recognized brand and Bannerlord will sell same and better, no matter what. Rest of the games are on their own. I'm afraid that not even quality of the product is enough to make a new classic. Sebastian's mod isn't perfect, but doesn't deserve such quick death (serious effort was put into it). And we all know Natural Selection 2, best game no one plays...

Offline FleetFox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 711
  • Infamy: 72
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fox Shox Rox
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Norsemen
  • Game nicks: Norse_Torr and FleetFox
« Reply #261 on: December 23, 2014, 04:20:22 pm »
+1
Would be nice to have a change from the multiplier though, used to enjoy getting exp and gold depending on how many kills you could pick up and be near to, best thing for me when i started playing :)
"Its better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."
― Emiliano Zapata

Offline //saxon

• King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 181
  • I'm just to dam goood 😎
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Saxon
« Reply #262 on: December 23, 2014, 06:13:49 pm »
+1

Offline SyderOne

• Count
  • Renown: 168
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ISLAMIC STATE
  • Game nicks: Syder // Azzam

Offline Radament

• King
  • ☑Yes ☒No
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 23, 2014, 07:14:12 pm »
saw a lot of oldmy old friend returning nowadays , LeoKing , Muffin , another Barabe that i don't remember the name , yesterday evening there were a lot of ppl including me playing on EU_1.
Don't know if changing the xp multi could bring more fun , yes was fun in 2010 but if you reintroduce this KILL=XP mentality , i think the bit of teamplay we could see now will probably change in a boring DM were people just run for the ez kills and don't focus on an objective like flags or help another teammate in trouble.
that's my 2 cents  :D

Offline FleetFox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 711
  • Infamy: 72
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fox Shox Rox
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Norsemen
  • Game nicks: Norse_Torr and FleetFox
« Reply #265 on: December 23, 2014, 08:50:34 pm »
+2
saw a lot of oldmy old friend returning nowadays , LeoKing , Muffin , another Barabe that i don't remember the name , yesterday evening there were a lot of ppl including me playing on EU_1.
Don't know if changing the xp multi could bring more fun , yes was fun in 2010 but if you reintroduce this KILL=XP mentality , i think the bit of teamplay we could see now will probably change in a boring DM were people just run for the ez kills and don't focus on an objective like flags or help another teammate in trouble.
that's my 2 cents  :D

Yeah but the proximity exp from team mates killing was the fabric that held together the best team plays I have seen, exp barn anyone? haha good times

(click to show/hide)
"Its better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."
― Emiliano Zapata

Offline woody

• Earl
  • Renown: 407
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Woody, Weebo, Wreky
« Reply #266 on: December 23, 2014, 09:18:51 pm »
+4
Started playing native multiplayer a bit again but it pales quickly. CRPG is still the best game I have played, but I have played many, many hours and am now bored by it. Previously I have taken 3 month breaks from it and come back, this time Im not sure the mod will be there. As a few have stated the mostly lvl35+ servers are not an improvement, far too many longsword/katana/longaxe etc spammers. A 50% increase in all weapon strength requirements or a stat cap at 31 would draw me back but would alienate many. however personally I found the really good old days of following a tank really dull and the improvements since then have overall made the game better. Still miss Finn on his Rhino though.

Offline Radament

• King
  • ☑Yes ☒No
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 23, 2014, 11:43:33 pm »
+1
Yeah but the proximity exp from team mates killing was the fabric that held together the best team plays I have seen, exp barn anyone? haha good times

(click to show/hide)

oh you mean that. well yea that was better than this actual multy.
loved the xp barn eheh

Offline //saxon

• King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 181
  • I'm just to dam goood 😎
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Saxon