Author Topic: Flags in battle?  (Read 2352 times)

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
Re: Flags in battle?
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2014, 02:19:09 pm »
There could also be a routine that spawns cover along with the flag when no other props are around.
Yeah, that's above me at the moment. Please come back to us soon(TM).
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 02:30:22 pm by Tydeus »
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2014, 02:29:33 pm »
Please paul tell me ur pro and you can fix this for your beloved people :3

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2014, 02:56:25 pm »
Random MOTF is a good new feature I think, spices up the old routines, will be great with a bit of further tinkering.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2093
  • Infamy: 996
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2014, 03:05:29 pm »
+1
There could also be a routine that spawns cover along with the flag when no other props are around.

Why don't you build a castle around the flag?

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2014, 03:22:52 pm »
+3
Why don't you build a castle around the flag?
If the devs that were capable of making a new game mode to replace battle were both interested enough as well as willing/able to devote the time necessary to the project, it would probably be done. That's just not what we have at the moment, so we're(I) am stuck making minor alterations to MotF because the only other way to make ranged have less of an effect on the round, is to nerf them significantly.

Rather than dictating exactly how players are able to play by weapon requirements or stat altercations, it's better(less intrusive) to just reduce the impact they have on the outcome of a round. Essentially it's the same end result, except it doesn't remove player choice, only limits the rewards for a few specific choices.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 928
  • Infamy: 2524
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2014, 03:30:58 pm »
+3
Or... you could remove shield skill, give everyone free respec and make all shields free to use, only balancing their cost based on weight and coverage. That would totally piss off archers.

Yeah, sounds stupid and is pure madness, but no more than what you're doing with battle mode.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 03:38:22 pm by Leshma »

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2014, 04:04:46 pm »
Yeah, sounds stupid and is pure madness, but no more than what you're doing with battle mode.
2-3 shield skill is really really enough to use a decent shield now, thanks to the shield resistance buff. I had 3 shield skill on my character before this buff, I really liked it :mrgreen:

Conjuring some objects around flag, sounds a bit stupid imo.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline JackieChan

• Marshall
  • Renown: 851
  • Infamy: 118
  • Crève salope / Master of left spam
    • View Profile
    • CRPG PATCH!
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_BD_JackieChan
  • IRC nick: JackieChan
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2014, 04:11:33 pm »
+1
As i said, its just turning battle mod into some sort of siege. Wrong way of fixing the range problem. At least Leshmas idea makes more sense.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Wهاهاهاهاهاهاهاهاهاه

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2067
  • Infamy: 676
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2014, 04:34:23 pm »
+1
2-3 shield skill is really really enough to use a decent shield now, thanks to the shield resistance buff. I had 3 shield skill on my character before this buff, I really liked it :mrgreen:

No, I won't put any point into shield. Do you know why? If anyone can grab a damn crossbow and use it (with bad accuracy but that's not the point) then everyone should be able to grab a shield and use it to protect himself. Shield skill has to be the dumbest stat in this mod and it's major source of abuse which can be seen on examples such as kinngrimm or those 13 shield skill silly builds.

Offline phnxhdsn

• Earl
  • Renown: 355
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium / Vanguard / DMG
  • Game nicks: Phoenix, Mangudai
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2014, 06:07:04 pm »
I just hope first round insta-flags gets work-shopped and changed, because in the first round the teams are always just random right? so sometimes it has spawned all the ranged to one side and all the melee shielders to the other side, guess which side went to the flags and got an instant victory..
I like the flags too because it forces players to change their strategy and not just do the same thing every round but it needs to improved in some ways, for instance i believe bigger flag radius will greatly improve this!

Edit: Also I never get any time to get valour in the first round because of it always being so one sided nowadays because the team to win the melee for flags is decided instantly and then I lose my x5 :(  Point I'm making is first round is always 50/50 on whether your getting a multiplier

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2014, 06:09:53 pm »
+3

Need some horse-drawn carriages to spawn for cover, simply so I can holler "CIRCLE THE WAGONS, THE INJUNS ARE ATTACKING" over teamspeak.

Anyway, I'm a fan of the MoTF change. Whether or not it is an objectively good or well implemented feature, I like how its been working.

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2014, 06:10:36 pm »
+3
You say mod, but shield skill is hardcoded. So really, it's just the game itself. If we could easily change shield skill, it would have been done a long time ago.

I already doubled the radius and changed the first round MotF to spawn 30 seconds into the round(for the next patch). Any other suggestions?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 06:17:39 pm by Tydeus »

Offline Johammeth

• King
  • Renown: 1077
  • Infamy: 81
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ConnectiKUTT
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2014, 08:04:33 pm »
+3
Any other suggestions?

Two things:

As others have said, variety is what will keep the gamemode fresh... mostly by preventing the feeling of "hurr hurr, it's this map just go camp the ____."

The most obvious route is semi-random flag spawns: Each map has a dozen or so locations and each round the flag randomly selects one location to spawn in.

This approach would be better implemented over time. Adding in 1 new location per map every now and again will keep the "new car smell" around a lot longer than an initial dump of 12 flag spots that will all get stale eventually.

--

Alternatively, full random flag spawns could be pretty cool... but also potentially broken and infuriating.

(click to show/hide)

2. Killing an opponent on the flag lowers their flag a little bit.

While your physical presence on the flags will halt the enemy capture, killing an enemy in this zone will also knock back their progress a little bit (something small, say 5-10% ... numbers will need to be tweaked)

This would only really be felt in the "I'm stopping the cap, get your asses over here guys!" type situation where one hero is outnumbered on flags and waiting for backup. Sure, he can just turtle... but if he snags a couple of kills, he can earn a few extra seconds for his teammates to show up after he dies.

There's now a bigger choice between passively halting the enemy capture, and aggressively setting them back.

I don't think we have to worry about this affecting "big" fights on the flags (1st round instaflags are going the way of the dodo anyway, yes?).

-Rewards aggression
-Makes kills on the flag feel better ("Well, I bought you guys an extra 3 seconds. Good luck!")
-BIG PLAYS BIG PLAYS BIG PLAYS

Offline Akynos

• Earl
  • Renown: 369
  • Infamy: 157
  • cRPG Player
  • Is now an agiwhore :*(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Skono, Rollmops
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2014, 11:56:49 pm »
No, I won't put any point into shield. Do you know why? If anyone can grab a damn crossbow and use it (with bad accuracy but that's not the point) then everyone should be able to grab a shield and use it to protect himself. Shield skill has to be the dumbest stat in this mod and it's major source of abuse which can be seen on examples such as kinngrimm or those 13 shield skill silly builds.

I'll see your Shield skill and raise you a ''You're too damn incompetent to throw that axe''
Kudos to Kulin_Ban for the video

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2014, 10:19:03 am »
Two things:

As others have said, variety is what will keep the gamemode fresh... mostly by preventing the feeling of "hurr hurr, it's this map just go camp the ____."

The most obvious route is semi-random flag spawns: Each map has a dozen or so locations and each round the flag randomly selects one location to spawn in.

This approach would be better implemented over time. Adding in 1 new location per map every now and again will keep the "new car smell" around a lot longer than an initial dump of 12 flag spots that will all get stale eventually.

--

Alternatively, full random flag spawns could be pretty cool... but also potentially broken and infuriating.

(click to show/hide)

2. Killing an opponent on the flag lowers their flag a little bit.

While your physical presence on the flags will halt the enemy capture, killing an enemy in this zone will also knock back their progress a little bit (something small, say 5-10% ... numbers will need to be tweaked)

This would only really be felt in the "I'm stopping the cap, get your asses over here guys!" type situation where one hero is outnumbered on flags and waiting for backup. Sure, he can just turtle... but if he snags a couple of kills, he can earn a few extra seconds for his teammates to show up after he dies.

There's now a bigger choice between passively halting the enemy capture, and aggressively setting them back.

I don't think we have to worry about this affecting "big" fights on the flags (1st round instaflags are going the way of the dodo anyway, yes?).

-Rewards aggression
-Makes kills on the flag feel better ("Well, I bought you guys an extra 3 seconds. Good luck!")
-BIG PLAYS BIG PLAYS BIG PLAYS

I'm too much of a jackass at the moment to expand or detract from anything here. Just wanted to say that Johammeth has some great ideas that should be considered.
(click to show/hide)

My only real suggestion/addition is to consider the first round to be flag-less until more balanced flags can be worked out. It really sucks for people to think "well goddamn, I'm gonna lose my multi just because I got on the opposite end of the map from where the flag spawns."

I suggest that MoTF only come up after 5 people alive, even on the first round. If MOTF can be programmed in such a way that good balance between spawn-points is achieved (not some bullshit where one team has to scramble 3x the distance of another just to make it to flags, where they will fight an entrenched and prepared bad guy), at that point MOTF on the first round should return. Hopefully I've made myself clear enough.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 11:54:17 pm by Sandersson Jankins »

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?