Poll

Was crpg more fun 3 years ago or now

Three years ago
36 (66.7%)
Now
18 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Author Topic: The good ole days  (Read 2198 times)

Offline Canary

• Marshall
  • Renown: 826
  • Infamy: 202
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
Re: The good ole days
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 04:55:31 am »
Crossposting because of relevancy.

Stab weapons through the ground without bouncing. Attack next to walls all day without being stopped. Overhead straight through teammates without hitting them. Spin 180's while stabbing people. Spin 180 while overheading people with a pike (aka long spear) through teammates while next to a wall, sheathe it and switch to one of your other three weapons.

Being level 42. No color-coded chat log. No score, no valour. No banners on scoreboard. No banner-balance. No proper custom banners. No DTV/Rageball. No such thing as "crossbow spec" (at least, wpf didn't improve accuracy at all).  Vastly less armor choices. Less weapons. Heirlooms giving percentage-based bonuses. Everything people complain about being OP now was vastly better.  No official NA server.

Good riddance.

also

NA siege being really good

For a long time there simply was no NA siege server.

No upkeep and 30 minute map resets

AKA automated escalation and eventually 90% of the server using milanese plate, 41p swords of tears with backup flamberges or greatmauls and pocket pikes and shotgun arbalests everywhere. I remember at one point there simply could not be any melee fighting for the first minute or two of every round because everybody would just camp construction site forts on rooftops and shoot.

On the bright side of the past, I liked the way people approached fighting due to the old xp system. It made for fun rounds when people were fighting in a group, even if they weren't really trying to fight together. Even that had its downsides, though, and the camping got ridiculous (only so many times XP BARN!!11 can be enjoyable, especially when aforementioned escalation came about).

« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 04:59:41 am by Canary »

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 05:06:59 am »
+1
Crossposting because of relevancy.

also

For a long time there simply was no NA siege server.

AKA automated escalation and eventually 90% of the server using milanese plate, 41p swords of tears with backup flamberges or greatmauls and pocket pikes and shotgun arbalests everywhere. I remember at one point there simply could not be any melee fighting for the first minute or two of every round because everybody would just camp construction site forts on rooftops and shoot.

On the bright side of the past, I liked the way people approached fighting due to the old xp system. It made for fun rounds when people were fighting in a group, even if they weren't really trying to fight together. Even that had its downsides, though, and the camping got ridiculous (only so many times XP BARN!!11 can be enjoyable, especially when aforementioned escalation came about).

Shuddddduuppp
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 01:29:41 pm by LordBerenger »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Plarbis

• Developer
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 08:03:04 am »
+1
I voted for now; there are way fewer people and siege is basically dead (rip), but the game doesn't feel broken. Call me crazy, but I think mechanics like nudge and roll are awesome and add a lot to gameplay.

words
I would +1 if my browser allowed it

(click to show/hide)