Author Topic: Anti-range shield : change attack animations to protect the user, buff bump  (Read 1161 times)

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
I just don't like passive mechanics; archers/xbowmen/throwers should be able to go around shotgunning people without having to worry about being arbitrarily bumped if that's their playstyle, but conversely I should be able to break their nose with my shield without getting a projectile jabbed into one of my eye sockets.
depends on the passive mechanic, f.e. for throwers i would love it, if they would automaticly change weapon modes when someone comes into bump range, i still fuck up so often while pressing the weapon mode switch button  :rolleyes:

I do like your idear more then the one of Kafein to increase the bump range. I just wanted to point out how i would imagine it, as some may think yeah we are in pike range now and they cant use the bows anymore. While still that seems a viable option to me, too, that different weapon length would have different bump ranges(as they could reach the opponent already with their weapon). The option "only" to buff shields with the nudge being less prone to shots within the animation, seems to me to be more intuitive and perhaps it would get me even to consider more often to use the nudge, then i do now.
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
I just don't like passive mechanics; archers/xbowmen/throwers should be able to go around shotgunning people without having to worry about being arbitrarily bumped if that's their playstyle, but conversely I should be able to break their nose with my shield without getting a projectile jabbed into one of my eye sockets.

The problem is see with this is that the shield bash is already a powerful tool to be used in melee ganking situations. A buff to it wouldn't discriminate between use against ranged and other uses.

I also think that as a high risk high reward move, shotgunning is kind of fun, but in the end it does more harm than good by further making melee an optional thing for archers (crossbowmen almost always have some melee).

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
The problem is see with this is that the shield bash is already a powerful tool to be used in melee ganking situations. A buff to it wouldn't discriminate between use against ranged and other uses.

I also think that as a high risk high reward move, shotgunning is kind of fun, but in the end it does more harm than good by further making melee an optional thing for archers (crossbowmen almost always have some melee).

The defensive shield nudge (Shield Shove) is the worst of all the nudge types for "ganking", since it rapidly moves the target away from their current location. If you and your allies are ganking someone and you Shield Shove them, it usually results in your allies teamhitting you, because you just shoved the enemy out of the way very quickly. Shield shove is primarily used to push people off ledges to their death, but it's risky for this application as well since it leaves you open so long before it lands. I always laugh when I'm getting ganked and some moron shielder shoves me out of harms away, allowing me to make a clean escape.

The neutral shield nudge (Quick Shield Bash) is by far the best nudge for "ganks" as well as 1v1, since it's fast and it doesn't move your target much (you can sometimes get behind them during the stun). I use this one pretty much every 6 seconds, and I don't understand while more shielders don't employ it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 08:05:24 pm by Phew »