Author Topic: bonus against cav/ranged abilities  (Read 810 times)

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
bonus against cav/ranged abilities
« on: January 05, 2014, 06:46:25 pm »
we have bonus against shields, so how about f.e.

for some throwing weapons or xbows to have
"bonus against horses"(not the rider but the horse)

and not all but a few shields
"bonus against arrows/bolts"(not against throwing axes)

I imagine these new abilites with minor/small stat effects, still an additional way to balance items.

Discuss
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: bonus against cav/ranged abilities
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 06:48:28 pm »
Not sure about bonus to horses, but bonus against arrows/bolts thingy can be roughly achieved by increasing the resistance of the shields.

Edit: I mean they are good ideas, but I'm not sure if the engine allows it.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Panos_

• იოსებ ბესარიონის ძე სტალინი
  • King
  • Renown: 2006
  • Infamy: 885
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • Come and get couched, Turk!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vyzantion (Palaiologos Era)
  • Game nicks: Panos_the_TurkSlayer
  • IRC nick: THE_PANOS
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 06:56:20 pm »
+2
"Please buff my already indestructible shield a bit more"
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 07:04:20 pm »
+2
"Please buff my already indestructible shield a bit more"

Actually in any real situation this would be a buff to low rather than high shield skill users. Kinngrim's shield already hardly ever breaks, so what's the point of making it break even less ?

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 08:27:41 pm »
+1
Ehhh i dunno....

Last time i checked my Large warhorse goes down after 2 jarids or heavy throwing axes.. Also xbows also does a shitload of dmg..

Your whining have become quite insane recently kinngrim... I think its time you take a break from cRPG  :shock:

Its a constant flow of QQ threads from your part, which involves nerfing your counterparts..

TBH i hardly ever read your post anymore  :?
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 10:31:02 pm »
Not sure throwing needs bonus against cav, i find it to be an effective counter already, particularly against bump cav and HAs. They make large targets sideways-on, and the speed bonus is immense if they come head-on, not to mention the odds of a headshot against the horse.

The problem is the majority of people who try out throwing do so as a specialization or gimmick class, imagine if 60% of all infantry - 2hand heroes, polearmers and shielders had the 3 PT and 50ish Wpf needed to lob javelins, HAs wouldn't stand a chance at delaying. Doesn't really take much of a skill-point investment, but the extra versatility would be great for anyone planning on going beyond lvl 30, just imagine, the extra 3 levels from 30 to 33 alone could give you that ability to counter your most hated classes without weakening your lvl 30 build. Also for RP, imagine in medieval combat any self-respecting soldier not being able to lob spears and stuff at the enemy, throwing crap at people is in your blood, use it!

(Sadly i can never do that minor hybridisation if i ever hope to reach my 15 PS dream, which i do still aim for)

Having some throwing skill is handy when there are throwing weapons lying around, but the weapons themselves are much too heavy and costly to take with you if you aren't sure you will use them every single life.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 10:58:05 pm »
+2
Seems like a decent idea, but aren't rearing horses + heavy shields good enough? I think heavy shields need to be better vs. elite cav/knightly heater in some areas, especially against bolts. Right now, they're really unappealing.

I also feel that 1h/pole hybrid is better than a throwing hybrid if you're solo, especially since anti-cav requires little/no wpf investment and you don't need to spend any extra skill points. If they're kiting you, just get more ath. A group of throwing hybrids together, however, are extremely effective.

Offline justme

• Count
  • Renown: 188
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandits
  • Game nicks: Bandit_Elsupreme
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 02:36:55 am »
+1
would like to see different type of damage on arrows, exp bodkins do pierce, tatar vs horses, barbed vs shields... and i dont mean x2, 1.5 is enough..