Author Topic: how to prevent suicide  (Read 3886 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: how to prevent suicide
« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2013, 05:57:19 pm »
+1
Transhumanism wasn't created so people could have interesting debates. It is what it is. The topic is not called "debate transhumanism." It's something Oberyn brought up, criticizing transhumanism as a whole for some views that some transhumanists might have. The usual debates regarding it are "is life extension/immortality ethical", "should we play god" and "we'll lose our humanity!"

Then maybe you should discuss the questions that are actually interesting. For instance, what makes you think there would be no social tensions resulting from early transhumanistic technology becoming available commercially?

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 15, 2013, 06:19:03 pm »
Then maybe you should discuss the questions that are actually interesting. For instance, what makes you think there would be no social tensions resulting from early transhumanistic technology becoming available commercially?
That's like me asking you to randomly discuss the class balance in MeT and why there wouldn't be social tensions after nerfing the warlock.

I'm not sure what you're not understanding, here -- again, I did not bring transhumanism up. I didn't start, nor was I ever involved in, a discussion about the practicality of certain transhumanist goals. What makes you think I think there would be no social tensions resulting from early transhumanistic technology becoming available commercially?
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #107 on: December 15, 2013, 06:31:01 pm »
Not everyone thinks that way. Some hardcore Christians, for example.

Yes, but they are accustomed to denying facts and embracing flights of fancy.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 15, 2013, 08:47:55 pm »
+2
That's like me asking you to randomly discuss the class balance in MeT and why there wouldn't be social tensions after nerfing the warlock.

I'm not sure what you're not understanding, here -- again, I did not bring transhumanism up. I didn't start, nor was I ever involved in, a discussion about the practicality of certain transhumanist goals. What makes you think I think there would be no social tensions resulting from early transhumanistic technology becoming available commercially?

Well, this got me a little bit confused I guess

Creating a caste system is one of the things to be careful of, but it isn't a necessary, predestined outcome. The basis of transhumanism does not say a caste system is necessary. For example, if everyone could be augmented, it wouldn't happen.

Because Oberyn was obviously raising valid points about the practicalities of transhumanism, I assumed the rest of the discussion to be about that, not about the definition of the word "transhumanism", as that discussion would (and did) yield no value. You sort of hijacked a thread that was already not about transhumanism in the first place.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 15, 2013, 10:10:24 pm »
I simply corrected Oberyn, since he was mistaken about what transhumanism is.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #110 on: December 15, 2013, 10:18:58 pm »
+1
Fine, transhumanism as a simple dictionary definition devoid of all practicalities or application, ok. I see no interest in debating that point. Transhumanists all fall into the "fundamentally change humanity for the better" definition, but as soon as you dig even slightly deeper all the cracks and flaws and different interpretations of what they mean by "better" start showing. Like with any other simple dictionary definition of an ideology. There's a reason I brought up feminism as an example. Kafein's communism example is just as valid. "Communism is an ideology that considers all people as equal, regardless of race, sex, social position, etc.., and that they all deserve access to the basic neccessities of life". Using that definition only a completely irrational person would be against communism.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 15, 2013, 10:35:49 pm »
+1
Nope, it's not a definition devoid of all practicalities or application.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 16, 2013, 12:38:16 am »
Nope, it's not a definition devoid of all practicalities or application.

What is the practical meaning of "improving" or "technology" in the definition ?

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 16, 2013, 05:04:58 am »
+1
What is the practical meaning of "improving" or "technology" in the definition ?
im·prove verb \im-ˈprüv\
: to make (something) better

: to become better

tech·nol·o·gy noun \tek-ˈnä-lə-jē\
: the use of science in industry, engineering, etc., to invent useful things or to solve problems

: a machine, piece of equipment, method, etc., that is created by technology
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 16, 2013, 07:19:18 am »
Using complicated mechanisms inside humans is fine tbh if it is to cure a desease or disability, but its difficult to say that I think because if we improve ourselves more and more, even smaller imperfections will be considered reason enough for another round of upgrades.

And, btw:
"Communism is an ideology that considers all people as equal, regardless of race, sex, social position, etc.., and that they all deserve access to the basic neccessities of life". Using that definition only a completely irrational person would be against communism.

When I try to tell people that communism is a pretty good thing, they wont see ^^ what you wrote, they see the states that waved the communist flags while setting up brutal dictatorships. So many nice things are ruined by greedy assholes.
I don't know enough