Poll

Would you like to see/participate in some tournaments?

Yes, why not?
Not interested.
No, this wouldn't work out. (Give your opinion, it's just an idea, can be improved anytime)

Author Topic: Tournaments, simple solution to creating one.  (Read 440 times)

Offline Knife

• Knight
  • Renown: 63
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fällen Brigäde
Tournaments, simple solution to creating one.
« on: December 13, 2013, 10:58:50 am »
Hello!

I began to wonder, what about some tournaments to get the duel server crowded again and so that y'all can show your personal kill with pressing a couple of buttons on the keyboard. I only found one thread about a tournament:(Though better not be so sure about that as I'm not really that great with the search engine) http://forum.melee.org/events/shogunate-crpg-clan-tournament-1/ ,yet it uses the double-elimination format so it'd require a lot of people that are in clans to work plus there's this balancing issue, won't count as a simple solution, does it? Now, most think this is a waste of time, yet I find when someone would start organising it people would gladly participate.

What does this moron have in mind then? Well, this simple tournament that I'm trying to suggest can even be held on the current map (Ruins, which I hate, but who cares about my personal opinion?) as there's a perfect spot that has a  rather closed area so those participants wouldn't be disturbed, here's the location I had in mind.

(click to show/hide)
(No, I don't have that much money, not even close, so don't start with that please :shock:)

Sadly it's raining so it's not that well seen on the picture, but I'll give you really specific coordinates : You spawn where everyone is fighting, you go left or right depending how you spawned. If you spawned with the ruins to your left, you go right, if other way around, you go left. If the ruins are to your front, you go back and when the ruins are to your back you go onwards. Didn't make it still? Sorry, I just gave you the coordinates, do it again...

Equipment:

Now, since this would obviously only work as a 1v1 melee tournament, all archery/cavalry shouldn't be allowed.
''HOW DO U KEEP IT BALANCED SO DAT SOME GUY IN HEAVY ARMOR AND WITH A MAUL DOESNT JUST KILL ME WITH HIS NOOB SPAM?'' Well, here is something to fix that.

(click to show/hide)

Everyone is to wear one of those tunics, so there's still something to choose from, different colors, no dictatorship, I swear! However, there mustn't be any gloves/helmets, boots can be of free will as well. Weapons should be for everyone's preference too, but I personally wouldn't allow shields/mauls, the 'spam' weapons are fine in my humble opinion as in 1v1 it's not that easy with a rondel dagger, is it?

Now, that's pretty much it  and let's not talk about organising it unless the majority wants it, though this tournoment can even be held with 10 people, not a problem really. Oh and prizes...well, don't know, suggestions/opinions please!  8-)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 01:33:39 pm by Knife »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Knife

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Tournaments, simple solution to creating one.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 11:13:11 am »
Also, take this as something similar to native tournaments(in cRPG style) that were regularly held on native servers, haven't seen those in a while though. (Tried to put it in the original post, always click the quote, can't edit for shit, sorry :/)

Offline Alec

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 101
  • cRPG Player
  • Caval-reee!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Northumbria
  • Game nicks: Bittersweet
  • IRC nick: Alec
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 11:18:39 am »
Native Tournaments are fully alive  :lol: :wink:
"Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back."

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 11:39:14 am »
+1
So your entire suggestion is doing tournaments in a part of the ruins map and wearing tunics while doing them? Right, thanks. Also, fighting tunics is not at all balanced, it creates immense bias towards fast, low damage, cut based weapons. AKA Longsword or Long Axe heaven. Also, that tournament you mentioned is old as fuck, and there have been in fact about a dozen since then.

Recently Gnjus hosted a tournament which I thought worked very well. It featured an arena with some spots with cover and the rules were simple as hell. Get 5 people and play. Everything was allowed. You might not believe this, but when it comes to 5 man teams there is no insta-win formula. The game is in fact balanced enough to allow no limitations whatsoever. Most teams went for a balanced set-up which usually contained a cav guy, a ranged player, a hard hitter and a fast guy.

http://forum.melee.org/events/5-a-side-free-for-all-tournament/

Honestly the problem with that tournament was low player interest, think we got about 35 people playing matches. I think the set-up was perfect and it was properly advertized, but people just don't care anymore. That said, I still can't believe the Events section is still an obscure sub-section in all these years.

Offline Knife

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 11:46:51 am »
I took the place in the ruins, assuming no one actually wants to change the map as it's been there for a decade. Now, if you got yourself a better idea for a 1v1 tournament(Fits perfectly when there's not enough players, as 1v1 doesn't require that much), fine by me, just make something...please?

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 12:19:44 pm »
Oh you are talking about a duel tournament? Got confused because you linked a team tournament. Fuck duelling.