Author Topic: Spathion vs Long Arming Sword  (Read 1733 times)

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
Re: Spathion vs Long Arming Sword
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2014, 03:17:32 pm »
+3
Honestly I can't imagine how that could be effective. I mean, the heat of battle, you see a fast moving guy. "Oh, he's gonna attack me, I better switch to my sword". Agi guy runs past you. "Oh he's not, where is my steel pick...".

Carrying additional 1.7 kg just for an arguable advantage of reach in some very limited cases doesn't seem worthy to me.
You'd want to have some more use of a weapon you have to carry with you all the time (like horse rearing in case of spears).

No way man.  Sometimes you just know that the guy approching from the distance is a super fast ninja dude.  Or maybe he's fighitng one of your teamies, and you see him spamming and S-keying his ass off.  You know -- he's a super fast light armored spam attack ninja machine, and you're going to have trouble hitting him.

That's when you do it.

You move your mouse wheel slightly to pull out your FLY SWATTERâ„¢.  It just takes a split second, but you go from slow-moving shield turtle to a slow-moving shield turtle with really long arms.  It helps a lot.  Try it, you might like it.

In terms of which sword to use, I always say speed is king.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2014, 03:37:25 pm »
+2
Yeah, the benefits to carrying multiple weapons always outweigh the negatives. I'll never understand the people that run around with 2 free slots then complain about cav/archers/shielders/kiters/whatever. Bring a spear/shield/axe/xbow you idiots!

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2014, 03:47:20 pm »
To be fair Phew, Macropus did suggest using a spear/spear-like weapon as a secondary weapon.  He suggested it was more useful than carrying another 1h weapon.  But there's pro's and con's to both points of view.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2014, 04:03:39 pm »
+1
To be fair Phew, Macropus did suggest using a spear/spear-like weapon as a secondary weapon.  He suggested it was more useful than carrying another 1h weapon.  But there's pro's and con's to both points of view.

Yeah, I wasn't disputing Macropus; a spear is the proper sidearm if deterring cavalry if your objective (although a long 1h stabbing sword is a pretty good deterrent as well). My rant was aimed more at the min-maxers with empty slots that always complain about x class.

I alternate between a broad 1h axe and a heavy xbow with my free slots, depending if I'm on siege attack or D, respectively. Those options cover nearly every scenario you're likely to encounter in siege (pierce secondary mode for tin cans, xbow for enemy ranged, axe for shielders, etc.). The only class I feel ill-equipped to handle is agility polearmers, which unfortunately are everywhere now. I suppose I'd need a longer 1h sword as my primary weapon to have a prayer against them.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 04:10:15 pm by Phew »

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2014, 08:08:29 pm »
Low damage ? 25p 30c is low ? What the fuck are you using Jarlek one handed flamberge ?

LAS=        25p 30c speed = 98 7k
KAS=        24p 31c speed = 97 97
Spathion=26p 31c speed = 96 10k

All 3 has same lenght.

If you ask me LAS is superior to those 3 .

+1 cut +1 pierce damage aren't enough to compansate 2 speed difference and nearly double upkeep.
My LAS is 33c speed (+3), my military hammer is 31b (+3).

That's a pretty big damage difference on anyone not naked.

1h swords in general have pretty low damage. 33c (even at +0) on anything but a 1h is just considered ridiculously low, and I always used to take a look at my longsword and my long arming sword and just be baffled at the difference (especially since longsword used to be CHEAPER than LAS).
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2014, 10:00:07 pm »
Let me 1 hit you.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

GL doing that, I cant remember the last time anyone one-hitted me at all.
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.

Offline NJ_Legion_Icedtea

• Count
  • Renown: 259
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norsemen
  • Game nicks: Norse_Icedtea
  • IRC nick: Icedtea
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 02:21:08 am »
Decision was Spathion in the end.
Thoughts so far are I like it, its pretty nice, especially when I got a bit more accustomed to the length of it