Author Topic: Underused expensive weapons  (Read 804 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2417
  • Infamy: 585
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Underused expensive weapons
« on: November 21, 2013, 01:17:01 pm »
+6
I've been looking at store page for a little bit and have to say that some weapons almost lost their purpose in public battles/sieges and are used by players who care about style and not so much about performance. Weapons in question are:
  • Great Long Bardiche
  • Flamberge
  • Great Long Axe

Let's start with GLB. It's very expensive weapon which should be absolute beast for slashing and it is to some point. But it's very slow and unbalanced. It's also freaking long but that's already countered by slow speed and unbalanced tag. My major issue with this weapon is damage, I think this should be the most damaging slashing weapon in the game and currently that's not the case. If you need, make it slower by point or two (although it's already very slow) bit give it well deserved damage. If Persian Battle Axe does 48 cut damage this thing should deal 49.

There are also some other changes I would do to GLB but many wouldn't agree with these. Listed those additional changes are: 3 slot, not sheatable tag and make it the most expensive polearm at 16k gold price. With those changes you don't have to lower the speed, just buff the damage to levels this best of a weapon deserves.

As for Flamberge, story is almost the same as for GLB. But I don't think it should deal 49 cut damage but two point less (basically, suggestion is buff cut damage by one point only) But it should also have higher thrust damage. Also it should be 3 slots and less expensive (by 2500 gold).

Great Long Axe is still very decent weapon by itself but it is ridiculed by those much faster, slightly less damaging long axes (Long War Axe and Long Axe). Because of that everyone is trying to get rid of it these days and almost no one uses it. This weapon was never overpowered but it was overused, reason was player named Tor. Many tried to do the same thing, to copy his play style and failed. Because of that, many GLAs were masterworked. This weapon deserves a buff, to speed or damage. Your pick.

These are current stats for GLB, Flamberge and GLA:

Flamberge
weapon length: 152
weight: 4
difficulty: 18
speed rating: 86
thrust damage: 24 pierce
swing damage: 46 cut
slots: 2
Can't use on horseback
Can't sheath
Great Long Bardiche
weapon length: 155
weight: 3.7
speed rating: 87
thrust damage: 18 pierce
swing damage: 46 cut
Can't use on horseback
Unbalanced
Bonus against Shield

Great Long Axe
weapon length: 125
weight: 3.5
difficulty: 16
speed rating: 91
thrust damage: 16 blunt
swing damage: 45 cut
Can't use on horseback
Bonus against Shield

These are my suggestions:

Flamberge
weight: 4
thrust damage: 26 pierce
swing damage: 47 cut
slots: 3
Can't use on horseback
Can't sheath
Great Long Bardiche
weight: 3.7
thrust damage: 18 pierce
swing damage: 49 cut
slots: 3
Can't use on horseback
Unbalanced
Bonus against Shield
Can't sheath

Great Long Axe v1
speed rating: 92
swing damage: 45 cut
Can't use on horseback
Bonus against Shield

Great Long Axe v2
speed rating: 91
swing damage: 47 cut
Can't use on horseback
Bonus against Shield

I also suggest price change for Flamberge and GLB, both should cost 16277 gold.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Underused expensive weapons
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 01:21:07 pm »
+7
Let's not have too many flamburgers around, it is one of the most anachronistic weapons in the armory. Also, it is a really good weapon as is, I honestly think people don't use it much due to it not complementing their style not lack of quality.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1458
  • Infamy: 976
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 01:44:53 pm »
+1
I think that most people avoid it because it's truly expensive and is really hard to deal with AGI shielders while using a flamberge. Extra pierce damage will help with that, because it's a tricky attack. Swing is buffed by one point which is not much, because weapon is already very damaging. Weapon is too slow to be overused, damage buff or not.

As for not fitting the style or being anachronistic, this is game balance (aka numbers) not realism discussion (historical accuracy).

Offline HUtH

• Baron
  • Renown: 94
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 01:28:53 pm »
Flamberg is awesome weapon, thought it needs lot of love and awareness to use it, because it's like an executioner's sword for teammates... I don't understand why it is the most expensive 2h, because greatswords are much more flexible and useful.

GLB needs a "can't sheath" right now, and now with its speed it's a bit OP
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sorry
for
my
terrible
English

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 01:35:13 pm »
Let's not have too many flamburgers around, it is one of the most anachronistic weapons in the armory. Also, it is a really good weapon as is, I honestly think people don't use it much due to it not complementing their style not lack of quality.

Nah they dont use it because you cant really spam it.

Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 02:46:16 pm »
+2
Flamburger is my favourite weapon in the game look wise and probably my second favourite weapon overall after the pike. Definitely my favourite duelling weapon. In it's current state it is extremely effective at least in battle. I go full Space Marine mode occasionally with Gothic Plate and a Flamberge, literally using all Georges his looms on my alt Franzibald and it is fucking amazing. If you have proper awareness you can turn the tide of a group fight very quickly. It does not need a buff, wouldn't mind it anyway :P

When comparing the Flamberge which is awesome, to the Great Long Bardiche, which is fair as they both use similar animations, I'd say the Great Long Bardiche is in a good spot as well. Never really used it extensively but it looks like an excellent battle weapon on paper. 1 speed, 3 length, bonus against shield and the ability to stop horses seems like a good trade of for the Flamberge being balanced.

I'd say giving the Great Long Axe one more speed is a fair buff.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 03:14:23 pm »
The reason why Flamberge is not very frequently used, is maybe it's cost? 18k repairs like crazy and overall you feel much more effective with another weapon. It also makes you tk crazy like hell if you don't know what you're doing.

What I also don't like about the weapon is, it's low pierce damage coupled with polearm animations. It's extremely bad for siege and tight corridors overall for that reason.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Tindel

• Earl
  • Renown: 333
  • Infamy: 238
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Tindel
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 06:47:24 pm »
I agree with buffing underused expensive weapons! Either improve their stats to match their price.

Or just leave the stats as they are, and decrease the cost.

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
  • Renown: 1023
  • Infamy: 306
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Hermann_von_Krems
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 10:41:57 am »
leave weapons alone

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 10:51:30 am »
aside from the gla i find flamberge and glb well balanced.  they usually need a bit of an adjustment to your fighting style,  which might be the reason for being used less...

stat wise the gla is au pair at best with the long war axe i guess,  dont see why its more expensive...  so ya,  either it needs a buff or be priced next to similar good weapons.
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 02:56:54 am »
The reason I never use the great long bardiche is that the long bardiche is close in stats but is not unbalanced. Makes a huge difference. GLB has 15 more reach but 1 less speed. I'll take the regular long bardiche any day.

I have not used any of the polearm axes really, but I picked up a GLA and I was absolutely loving it. I'll have to borrow a long axe or long war axe +3 from someone and see how those compare. The bearded axe blade in the GLA's model is my favorite style-wise, so I may be biased.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far