Author Topic: About horsemen  (Read 2143 times)

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
Re: About horsemen
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 07:58:46 pm »
Ok, go around hitting 20lb metal armored infat, then.
After return here and tell me if you didn't get hurty at least a bit.

Then again return back and hit twenty 20lb metal armored infants... and so on.

You realize that when chargers hit people, they are impacting with their chest right?  The strongest part of their body.  Have you ever seen horse skeleton?  Do you see how thick the bones are?  You are like balsawood to a horse

Offline kongxinga

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Farmers
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 08:21:18 pm »
OP you misunderstand me. I love realism, more correctly versimilitude in games. I think versimilitude=gameplay=fun. But if you go realistic, you have to go realistic all the way. If my horse is going to take 5 hp damage, expect your infantry to take 500 hp damage ie an instant kill. If that is implemented I am perfectly fine with my horse dying after instakilling 20 people. Why 500? Because that's to rough scale the damage the infantryman is going to take. As digglez puts it, infantry are balsawood even with armour. Eggshells with aluminium foil. Sheetmetal on your car against a sabot round.

If you want your suggestions to be implemented, say it is in the name of "balance" whatever that means. You would not like it if realism was implemented properly.

Offline Adrian_Cyrius

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Patcha
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Italy
  • Game nicks: Adrian_Cyrius
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2011, 08:35:34 pm »
Well, as said, it's not a matter "I feel the game is not enought realistic". (It's not what I think and it's not the discussion I wanted to make here.)
The matter is: "I feel not balanced to let horsemen running over everything freely"

So, seeing I felt this, I wanted to think and suggest solutions.
And seeing I should suggest solutions, I tried to search for some "realistic" ways to make horsemen just a bit less free to walk over everything.
Like: "forcing them to choose their movement a bit more tactically".

So the aim is not to make the game more realistic, but more balanced (in my opinion, obviously).

Obviously you're free to not agree with my feeling of not balanced game due to "freely running over everything" horsemen. And it's ok.

But I think it's not forcely to say "if you have to implement this, you have to implement that, too...". The aim is balancing, not (only) realism.
If more realism would means less belance, well... in my opinion: better not. (Usually I'm to sacrify some realism to balancing.)

EDIT:
You realize that when chargers hit people, they are impacting with their chest right?  The strongest part of their body.  Have you ever seen horse skeleton?  Do you see how thick the bones are?  You are like balsawood to a horse
The problem of horses is they get cripple easly. They're leg are not so resistent.
Well... it's what I know... I could be mystaking anyway...

But in this optic... walking over a "shogun armor" warrior shouldn't be "totally free of charge" for the horse...
I'm not saying it should get cripple... but at least scratched by metal... so 2% damage or similar...

RI-EDIT: Anyway, again, it's not about a matter of 100% realism... is about a matter of "justifying a balancing solution choice".
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 08:44:06 pm by Adrian_Cyrius »

Offline La Makina

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Dedicated siege tower pusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2011, 09:02:08 pm »
I would love that my teammates injure their horses when they make no effort to not bump into me.

Offline PhantomZero

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm going to need you playing at 6AM on Saturday..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BIRD CLAN
  • Game nicks: POSTMASTER_PHANTOM0_OF_BIRD
  • IRC nick: PhantomZero
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2011, 09:26:29 pm »
This suggestion comes up every other month or so. I offer an easy solution.

When a horse charges into someone, the horse dies, but the person who got charged also dies. Like an unblockable 1-hit kill, no matter what.

That is the only way something like this would be fair.

Horses taking damage for crashing into objects or running over people is just a dumb idea. Nobody would ever use a horse.

Did you know that the #1 way to avoid a horse... is to jump right into the horses path and get trampled as opposed to lanced? It won't even hurt you if you are wearing enough armor.

Fix that and we can talk about adding damage to the horse for running people over.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Adrian_Cyrius

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
  • Patcha
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2011, 12:25:45 am »
PhantomZero, your posts still keeps being just "fun", but adds almost nothing to discussion.
If your only aim is to try to ridicule other's post, you already tried to do your job, so you can give up.

Getting some very low damange, like 2%, if hitting metal armor infantry or if running full speed in front of a wall, wouldn't prevent people to use horses. I'm sure.
Also because they don't "die" without horse.

At max it would be like shield... after a while you "abused" to use horses to trample metal armored infantry, you'll loose it. But with 2% (or lesser) damage took for each trample, loosing horse due to this means you deserved it.

Anyway, if you think 2% or lesser damage would change the balance in favour of infantry, we could still think about something else...
Maybe after each trample horse slow down for half or 1/4 of second?

My opinion keeps being: there will be no balance until horsemen can freely run over here and there.

Example: in last match I did, there was a crosbow-horsemen, which wasn't even good to hit enemies with his weapon, but delayed all games for long time any time he was last standing versus infantry. 'Cause even if you would succed to go close to him, he just turn a bit his horse and trample you.

Offline PhantomZero

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm going to need you playing at 6AM on Saturday..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BIRD CLAN
  • Game nicks: POSTMASTER_PHANTOM0_OF_BIRD
  • IRC nick: PhantomZero
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2011, 01:14:15 am »
If he wasnt any good with his crossbow, why didn't you just slash his horse? If he is close enough to bump, he is close enough to hit with your sword or even a dagger. Being bumped only happens if you are blocking, or fuck up your timing, or didnt even bother to attack the horse.

Charge doesn't do any damage to people wearing armor, it just knocks them over, sometimes.

After each trample the horse does slow down for half a second, and sometimes completely if they trample more than one, horsemen are only freely able to run around if the infantry is not working together.

I agree with your opinion that there will be no balance until horsemen can freely run over here and there. This is why pikes must be nerfed or removed, and the long spear renamed the pike again. Horses are too limited in their abilities, one man with a pike can effectively defend his team against two or three cavalry.

Why don't you play a horseman for a generation before commenting further. You have only been playing the game for a week maybe? This suggestion has been done and refuted many times and I'm done doing it.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 01:16:34 am by PhantomZero »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Adrian_Cyrius

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
  • Patcha
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2011, 01:45:42 am »
We couldn't hit his horse 'cause he didn't stop running.