Author Topic: National Novel Writing Month  (Read 597 times)

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
National Novel Writing Month
« on: November 02, 2013, 08:21:56 pm »
+2
Are you doing it?

I'm attempting it for the first time this year. I know it's a day late, but there's still time to get on board.

http://nanowrimo.org

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
Re: National Novel Writing Month
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 08:59:06 pm »
+1
So, it's actually about writing 50.000 words yourself, doing some-what a story, uploading it and then they delete it and give you a price. Listing your name in some "hall of fame". That's it. You could actually just write stuff yourself during any other time, with no pressure of time. :P
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Kalam

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 09:01:31 pm »
+4
So, it's actually about writing 50.000 words yourself, doing some-what a story, uploading it and then they delete it and give you a price. Listing your name in some "hall of fame". That's it. You could actually just write stuff yourself during any other time, with no pressure of time. :P

Yes, but sometimes external pressure helps, as well as a deadline that's not self-imposed. I'm personally using it as a chance to experiment, and to see if I'm capable of writing that much with a deadline. There's also the social aspect of it, much like Movember, etc.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 12:22:52 am »
Yes, but sometimes external pressure helps, as well as a deadline that's not self-imposed. I'm personally using it as a chance to experiment, and to see if I'm capable of writing that much with a deadline. There's also the social aspect of it, much like Movember, etc.

I did the last 3 NaNoWriMo's but never finished 50,000 words in the month. Work, school, raising kids, etc. However, it did get me started on 3 novels. One is a kids fantasy novel I lost after getting 6 chapters in (though I still remember the basic plot). I remember I got stuck on that one because I didn't know exactly where to go after chapter 6. One that has 3 chapters fully written with the basic plot, plot twist, and ending idea that I intend to get back to later. The 3rd one I am still actively working at least once a month. Plot and outline are completed, all events mapped out with timeline, all chapters have a short synopsis written, and 2 chapters are fully completed.
It sounds like the 3rd one is the least complete of all, but actually the reverse is true. I found that without having more than the basic plot, I got stuck on the first one because I wrote myself into a situation where I didn't know where to take the story next. The 2nd one, though it has fewer chapters than the first, is actually further along because I knew the beginning, the plot twist, and the end. But I didn't have all the events in mind, no timeline of those events, and no synopsis of each chapter. So while I know the beginning, middle, and end; I got stuck about 5000 words into it. I'm 5700 word into the 3rd one with no stumbling blocks in my way. I'm just filling in the structure with the actual words now and focusing more on dialogue instead of "what comes next".

Whether you finish or not, and whether it is a great story or not is irrelevant. The important part is making the effort. Even if you throw away your first attempt, the more you try, the more likely you will come up with something that you think deserves to be finished and hopefully published. Also, check up on the website for group meetings in your area. I attended a couple and had a pretty good time meeting other NaNoWriMoNuts.  :D
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 12:42:31 am »

I'm actually moving out tomorrow. :D
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 01:21:07 am »
+3
I tried to write a few times already. I always hate the sentences I've written, though, and rip the paper apart in fury after rereading them.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 10:17:44 am »
I'm actually moving out tomorrow. :D

I was aware that Movember has nothing to do with moving out, it was just a very tasteless joke on my part. :lol:
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 10:05:08 am »
novel

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 03:53:33 pm »
+1
Novelmber lol I get it.

Always wanted to write a novel. Sadly I don't have the attention span for it.
Pock gobblers

Offline Tomas_Miles_again

• Earl
  • Renown: 317
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
  • Game nicks: None anymore
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 03:56:24 pm »
Ah my girlfriend did this last year and missed the deadline by a day. The whole pressure thing is really useful for forcing yourself to get a move on. Also, she used this program called Write or Die... maybe if you haven't heard of it you can look it up.

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 03:23:34 pm »
+1
Fuck it, I'll do it. I've never seriously started writing a novel (just short stories). I seem to make good outlines, regardless full of holes, that don't go anywhere.

And, because I promised the whole internet that I would do this--right here, right now--I'll have no choice but to follow through. The alternative is suffering cyber-shame, which is kind of like how you feel when you fart at a funeral. Or, alternatively, like how you feel when your dog catches you  masturbating.

He doesn't look away.
"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG

Offline Kalam

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 09:57:56 pm »
+1
Well, I've failed. However, I've got 32,000 words of scenes. I've also been attacked multiple times by the editor god, and realized I really can't do this sort of thing again without proper planning. I hope I'll finish this soon enough, though, as I believe I can still use most of what I wrote. Just got to give myself more structure.

Offline _schizo321437

• Yes Man
  • Duke
  • Renown: 549
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ugly ▽Δ bad ▽Δ vain ▽Δ old ▽Δ ... lazy
  • Game nicks: ugly ▽Δ bad ▽Δ vain ▽Δ old ▽Δ .. lazy
  • IRC nick: ugly ▽Δ bad ▽Δ vain ▽Δ old ▽Δ . lazy
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 10:46:43 pm »