Author Topic: Riding Vrs IF for strat  (Read 1785 times)

Offline pine

• Noble
  • Renown: 22
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Riding Vrs IF for strat
« on: October 27, 2013, 07:54:12 pm »
at level 31 my build looks this
Level:             31

Strength:        18
Agility:             18

Ironflesh:           0
Power Strike:     6
Athletics:            6
Riding:                0
Power Throw:     6
Weapon Master: 6
Polearm: 126 WPF
Throwing: 112 WPF
I have 6 skill points to put in and i was wondering if i would be better off putting 6 points into riding and 2 into IF or vice versa.

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
Re: Riding Vrs IF for strat
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 07:56:26 pm »
6 Riding. What do you think is more useful between to get a bit more hp, or get the ability to ride horses ?  :wink:

Shit, thought that you were hybrid polearm/1h :l  Didn't read OP correctly. Go for IF.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 10:59:58 am by Algarn_of_Nord »

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 07:59:13 pm »
+8
Ironflesh. A lot of sieges in strat and when there's field battles there's usually a gazillion awlpikes and long spears since they're the kings of mass melee. I also notice that you've got throwing, and throwing from horseback on strategus would be rather useless. Avoid getting one-hit by awlpikes, get some health.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Benemortasia

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Benemor, Yabba_Dabba_Doobie
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 09:23:05 pm »
+1
I would have to go with riding for the versatility. Ironflesh is great to have, and there are a lot of good players who don't put points into it. Riding is invaluable in field battles and can be used to some extent in sieges:

- Run mats to a new weapons rack very quickly
- In towns there will be some areas where cavalry can operate. Same goes for villages.
- If you are defending you can sally out and attack catapults or forward bases

Also you plan to level up past 31 you can put points into ironflesh later and get experience fighting from horseback now.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Templar_Steevee

• Duke
  • Renown: 613
  • Infamy: 128
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew-pew for victory!!!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Steevee, Templar_catchArabbit, Gangtroll
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 09:35:30 am »
+1
6IF = 12 hp in tin can strat battle you'll be able to survive a hs, or one more arrow in hand or leg, and more hits from melee. Strat is about killing, and with IF you are harder to kill :) :mrgreen:
Archer forever :D

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 10:53:35 am »
simple approach:  enjoy riding horses?  get riding

if you dont really care,  get ironflesh!    less dying  :arrow: more killing! (and what gurni says)

also you could think about 4shield and 2 ironlfesh,  always usefull to support the shieldwall protecting the catapult,  or hopliting away in mids of a battle.

its more about what you enjoy then whats really needed.
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Vermilion

• Count
  • Renown: 208
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vermilion
  • IRC nick: Vermilion
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 02:31:34 pm »
I have 6 skill points to put in and i was wondering if i would be better off putting 6 points into riding and 2 into IF or vice versa.

2 riding would be useless (3 to ride a rouncy and you would be caught and killed very quickly)

If you want riding I would put 5 in riding and 3 in IF

If you didn't want riding I would put 4 in shield and 4 in IF (a lot of standing around in strat waiting for something to be built, shields come in handy)

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 05:06:16 pm »
As a cavalry lancer/1h/shield in strategus, I'd suggest with your build putting it into IF.  You're going to much more useful on sieges that way (which are more important than open field battles typically).  Also using an awlpike and throwing weapons would help you dominate other cavalry players on the open field battles.

Cavalry is a special niche on open field battles, and if you have too many hills they can be completely negated.  Also the best cavalry are risking themselves every time they rush into the enemies main infantry as they clash with your own infantry.  It can be hard to get good K:D's, but can be completely invaluable to the success or failure of your team.  If you can get over not having the best K:D's (when people think cavalry should always be 2:1 or more), then riding might be useful for you. 

But if you get riding, I think you're essentially wasting your throwing skills, so I don't think it's the best move with your build.  But (again) not every army has throwing weapons...I think more armies are getting better about having throwing weapons however, because having some throwers in your infantry mass is a massive advantage.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline oohillac

• Marshall
  • Renown: 724
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player
  • boys don't cry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 01:49:43 am »
For strat hiring purposes, Riding is a good option.  FCC (the faction I fight for) are always wanting for cavalry in the field battles.  An extra skill doesn't look bad on a resumé.

Effectiveness-wise, I say take no IF or Riding and drop something else a bit too (WM if you can take the WPF loss in melee or throwing) and instead take more Power Strike or Athletics.

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 06:44:00 pm »
Effectiveness-wise, I say take no IF or Riding and drop something else a bit too (WM if you can take the WPF loss in melee or throwing) and instead take more Power Strike or Athletics.
Skills > Attributes.

I vote for IF.
I almost never used any ironflesh in my builds, now as I got 3 IF at lvl 33, I'd say it's very useful.
6 IF is like 20% more hp.

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 07:02:35 pm »
+1
If you plan on retiring again, get IF. If you don't, get riding. As others have said, yes, there is the issue of not being able to effectively use your PT while simultaneously using your riding, and in that sense Ironflesh is the better choice.

Though, as someone who just lost 133 MILLION EXP going from 35 and an 18/24 infantry build, to 34 and a 15/24 infantry/cavalry build, I'd endorse riding. Sure, I can't use my Athletics at the same time as my Riding skill, but it's really, really nice to have a new and different playstyle open to my character.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline oohillac

• Marshall
  • Renown: 724
  • cRPG Player
  • boys don't cry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 06:34:37 am »
+1