Author Topic: steel arrow heads  (Read 973 times)

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
steel arrow heads
« on: May 12, 2011, 10:16:21 pm »
Historicaly speaking, steel arrow tips introduced in late medieval times where the biggest ranged nemesis of plate armor until firearms showed up.
Introducing them would possibly help ballance things up, considering that forged steel was costly, and this way we archers would have an easier way to bring down them tin-cans, and a use for all that extra income we dont use.

Also, bows shouldn't determine the type of damage from an arrow, they should simply act as multipliers for said damage.

Offline MrShovelFace

• Baron
  • Renown: 119
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • Nobody cares about who I am or what I think
    • View Profile
Re: steel arrow heads
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 10:58:03 pm »
im fairly sure that steel arrow heads were in common use with professional medival armies
You are most likely thinking of tempering steel, a technique developed torwards the end of the era

in any case arrows were most certainly not the nemisis of plate armor. Quite the opposite
this is resembled by bows being mostly replaced by crossbows in almost every western mainland european nation.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 11:02:18 pm by MrShovelFace »
Nobody cares about who I am or what I think

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 11:41:31 pm »
Historicaly speaking, steel arrow tips introduced in late medieval times where the biggest ranged nemesis of plate armor until firearms showed up.
Introducing them would possibly help ballance things up, considering that forged steel was costly, and this way we archers would have an easier way to bring down them tin-cans, and a use for all that extra income we dont use.

Also, bows shouldn't determine the type of damage from an arrow, they should simply act as multipliers for said damage.

use a long bow and stop complaining that your piddly gimp bow wont hurt tincans

Offline Adamar

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 10:58:46 am »
Actually I do use a long bow. What Im suggesting here is a more realistic way of making things, since this mod seems to be more about realism. A bow shouldn't determine the kind of damage an arrow deals, and there could be like broadhead arrows with lots of swing damage and then expensive bodkin steel arrows wich were pretty much the only kind capable of penetrating plate armor.

Offline Espu

• The good
  • Count
  • Renown: 261
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Espu
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 11:30:52 am »
A bow shouldn't determine the kind of damage an arrow deals, and there could be like broadhead arrows with lots of swing damage and then expensive bodkin steel arrows [..]

Unfortunately the game engine does not allow this.

Offline Korgoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 742
  • Infamy: 100
  • cRPG Player
  • I've dated girls uglier than you for Breakfast
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Korgoth
  • IRC nick: Korgoth
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 11:53:17 am »
Unfortunately the game engine does not allow this.

If I had a penny for everything I've seen that in this forum or Taleworlds forums I would be one rich mother fucker
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Korgoth's Retextures
Korgoth's Hierloom Stall

Offline Inkompetent

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Inkompetent, Ildov_Morekov, Fairhair_Sigurdr, MySushi_Inkomoto
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 04:11:14 pm »
Historically a longbow with bodkin (or other diamond-tip) arrows had trouble penetrating a decent plate breastplate at 20 meters. Pretty much impossible at 50. Dunno if a steel arrowhead would help that. Against mail armour it of course works like a charm though.

Yes, they made plate-armoured soldiers look like pin-cusions, but the arrows striking the solid metal surfaces rarely penetrated deeper than enough to get stuck in the armour, without penetrating the padding underneath.

Crossbows. Heavy crossbows. That's what you are thinking of ;)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 04:13:09 pm by Inkompetent »

Offline Adamar

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 05:27:13 pm »
According to what I've read, arrow heads were usualy made of Iron until the end of the era, Which is when steel arrow heads became common as the peasentry were slowly empowered in the battlefield. Im assuming that the iron bodkin tips were mostly useful against the weaker types of armor(mail, lamelar)... While the broadheads, that are not represented in the game, were used to deal great amounts of damage against weakely armoured targets. And steel arrowheads fired from a proper bow have little trouble penetrating plate armor, according to anyone who has tested it. So...

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Horris
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 08:32:38 am »
my ideas: :D

i think arrowheads also need different kinds of damage. cut in broadhead arrowpoints, pierce in bodkin or other armor penetrating points and blunt for arrowheads with stoppoints so the arrow would fall out pretty easy and someone could pick it up again. maybe even arrowheads that have muliple damage sorts. and i dunno how they are called in english but arrows that if you shoot them against somehting they'll break so the enemy can't use them. this could also be introduced. by not being able to pick those arrows up when shot.

also an idea of mine. a stack of arrows that consist of 3 arrows, 0 slots but 10k price. it would do a lot of damage maybe even 40 pierce, but again just 3 arrows. this would be tincan killing but you can't afford this every round. though there should be a button which lets you switch arrowstacks. don't know if this is possible but it would also be more balancing if these arrows would lose their speed a lot earlier then other arrows do, so it sniper archers won't be able to 1-shot a tincan at 100 yards.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Glyph you have obsessive Horse Archer and Horse hatred.
- Official diagnosis :)