Author Topic: Throwing thoughts  (Read 1394 times)

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
Re: Throwing thoughts
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2013, 02:02:36 am »
It is possible with a workaround, i.e. outside of the normal knockdown mechanic and with a custom on_hit trigger handling.
<3
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 06:50:39 pm »
+2
I don't really understand the fascination with a potential ranged knockdown on hammers. Yeah, it would be hilarious from a troll/derp/whatever standpoint, but in terms of actual battlefield efficacy, there isn't much point.

The stagger from hitting someone with a projectile is nearly as long as knockdown, so just hitting someone with any throwing weapon allows your teammates to get a free hit. Knockdown is slightly better, but it's still not enough to make hammers viable (since their damage per stack is still roughly half of Jarids).

Now if we were talking a ranged knockback mechanic (like shield shove and polearm overhead nudge), then we've got something. Knocking people off walls/ladders at range would be extremely effective on siege, and would give throwing hammers a powerful niche.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 07:25:49 pm »
You don't get the idea. It is for fun, not for taking an advantage!
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline oohillac

• Marshall
  • Renown: 724
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player
  • boys don't cry
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 07:29:13 pm »
As a guy who has faced throwers in full +3 Plate armour (70-75 body armour, 50+ head) for a couple years, I've got some thoughts on throwing:

- Just so you throwers know, your cut-damage projectiles do jack shit to me.  I don't even bother to dodge them sometimes.

- Stop using war darts.  They make this funny "whoosh" sound when you hit me for zero damage, and I rarely get staggered.

- Jarids hurt like a motherfucker compared to everything else but lances.  It still takes sometimes four body or two headshots to kill me, but that feels like a quick death with all my armour.

- Throwing lances are a no-go for me.  Not only can they two-hit kill me, but the stabs also hurt in melee quite a bit.  My only goal against lances is to soak them so some better fighter with less armour on my team can go win us a multi.

Evaluate this feedback as you will.  Overall, as a regular target for projectiles, I think throwing is balanced as a complete counter to my class (since archery doesn't hurt and crossbows are too slow).

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2013, 08:07:21 pm »
+2
Evaluate this feedback as you will.  Overall, as a regular target for projectiles, I think throwing is balanced as a complete counter to my class (since archery doesn't hurt and crossbows are too slow).

I try to save my Jarids for str 2h in heavy armor that block everything and hiltslash/lolstab their way through multiple allies at a time. Pierce projectiles are about the only thing that can bring them down. Engaging them in melee usually results in me glancing or getting kicked then one-shot.

Offline oohillac

• Marshall
  • Renown: 724
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player
  • boys don't cry
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2013, 08:12:45 pm »
+1
I try to save my Jarids for str 2h in heavy armor that block everything and hiltslash/lolstab their way through multiple allies at a time. Pierce projectiles are about the only thing that can bring them down. Engaging them in melee usually results in me glancing or getting kicked then one-shot.

That is throwing's niche, I think.  It lacks the constant ranged pressure of archery or precise damage of the crossbows, but for "that guy needs to die RIGHT NOW" it's a go-to class.  In this aspect is is balanced well currently.  Hero-hunting can completely change the outcome of an engagement.

Offline Ellie

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
  • It's a traaaaaap
    • View Profile
  • Faction: DLB
  • Game nicks: DLB_Ellie, Ellietrap, Ellie_Rocks_Your_World
  • IRC nick: Ellietrap
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2013, 08:59:59 pm »
I like staggering plate with stones.
Nerf everything. Buff naked fist fights.