Author Topic: FCC Calradian Tour  (Read 6968 times)

Offline BaleOhay

• Marshall
  • Renown: 789
  • Infamy: 229
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BS
Re: FCC Calradian Tour
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2013, 04:08:10 pm »
+1
It is def nice to look atand was fun to fight. We went 1:1 but did not get to use up all our troops.

Whoever made it did a nice job visually but from a balance standpoint it favors the defenders heavily. Front wall is wide and pretty easy to take for attackers. Once passed it gets bad from a gameplay standpoint. No real cover so you get to walk straight into the ranged storm in your attempt to walk up a continuous funnel that has a ton of choke points.
bumblebee got one nice ladder up to get behind the first major choke but could not hold it.. and really another choke followed. I think we could have found some ladder paths a little more but still tough place. No sure a flag cap is possible here.

I explored a bit and did not see any other paths of attack. Along the same level of op defense as chaos city I think. But much nicer looking
Leader of BS

Offline Jack1

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 231
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jack1_, Abbud_Amari, The_Doc, Gottlob_Kohlman
  • IRC nick: Risen_Jack
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2013, 04:23:09 pm »
+1
It is def nice to look atand was fun to fight. We went 1:1 but did not get to use up all our troops.

Whoever made it did a nice job visually but from a balance standpoint it favors the defenders heavily. Front wall is wide and pretty easy to take for attackers. Once passed it gets bad from a gameplay standpoint. No real cover so you get to walk straight into the ranged storm in your attempt to walk up a continuous funnel that has a ton of choke points.
bumblebee got one nice ladder up to get behind the first major choke but could not hold it.. and really another choke followed. I think we could have found some ladder paths a little more but still tough place. No sure a flag cap is possible here.

I explored a bit and did not see any other paths of attack. Along the same level of op defense as chaos city I think. But much nicer looking

After that huge ramp there is a very long alley with walls on either side that archers can shoot from into backs and what not. Too narrow to ladder up to the archers I believe.

Heavily defences favored. If we held that little alley I would bet we would have gotten a 2-1 KDR from all that ranged in the back
We're all nerds here, so it doesn't really matter.

Offline BaleOhay

• Marshall
  • Renown: 789
  • Infamy: 229
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BS
« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2013, 05:01:44 pm »
+1
I agree Jack. It only gets worse after the first wide ramp. fighting continuelly uphill into narrowing alley with ranged perches and spawn flags.. ugly. No real ways to flank. Tough one. Whoever makes these maps really needs to consider both attack and defense before completing. Still looks nice
Leader of BS

Offline Real_Dece_Guy

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusaders of Acre
  • Game nicks: Viceroy_Axeman_of_Acre
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2013, 05:18:34 pm »
+1
I think that death alley may be avoidable.  Both on the left and right there are opportunities (albeit limited) to ladder up.  The one time I actually got up from the roofs on the left side, there was a balcony area with enough room to fight on, and a staircase going straight up to the (second?) major group of flags.   The right is a bit harder, but some clever siege laddering could sneak some people in.

Of course either way would probably be suicide without a large amount of people throwing themselves at the ramp for distraction.
His Excellency Viceroy for Life, Field Marshal Al chadzi Doctor Idi Axemin, VC, DSO, MC, CBE, Lord of all the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Sea, and Conqueror of the Free Company Empire in Calradia in General and the Tundra in Particular.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2013, 07:44:30 pm »
+1
I managed to ladder up into the back a few times and wreak some havoc but there are very limited options for laddering so its not hard for the defenders to stop it. I wouldn't dare compare the map to dhirim though. A city map should favour the defenders, the only thing that I think might make it more interesting (though less visually impressive) is if the inner keep was not elevated and thus could have destructable walls so that attackers could (if willing to spend the time and resources) punch another gap in other than the ramp.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2013, 07:47:17 pm »
Didn't play on Narra.  But Dhirim wouldn't be so bad for attackers if their wasn't invisible walls preventing you from laddering up to the tops of the back rooftops (or on some rooftops, you can ladder to, but have a tiny little area you can move around in)
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2013, 07:50:16 pm »
+3
Didn't play on Narra.  But Dhirim wouldn't be so bad for attackers if their wasn't invisible walls preventing you from laddering up to the tops of the back rooftops (or on some rooftops, you can ladder to, but have a tiny little area you can move around in)

If the invisible walls in the street choke points were gone you could do a lot of nifty laddering... but that wouldn't help the inner keep with 3 different single door choke points with spawn points inside them.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #97 on: October 24, 2013, 08:15:43 pm »
No it wouldn't help for the keep.  theoretically those walls should be able to be destroyed.  I honestly don't mind having a siege of a city devolve into fighting over a keep (maybe not 3 different 1 door choke points).  But I think keeps should be where the last of the fighting takes place.

In one of the Dhirim battles, it was super intense trying to hold the last room of the keep.  Attackers broke through and almost took the room on 3 or 4 different occasions, it was some pretty frantic fighting going on.  But I think it's a little too difficult and should be fixed.  That said, it would be nice if the invisible walls/ceilings were removed about the rooftops on these city maps (if it's possible).
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #98 on: October 24, 2013, 09:02:45 pm »
+2
The siege of Narra had been a grueling battle. Mismanagement of the construction materials by the maniacal catapult teams left the offenders with gaping holes in the wall but not enough equipment to properly continue the siege. Upon taking in the massive sight that is the Narra city fortress James was taken aback. The keep was 4 maybe 5 times the height of any James had ever seen, its southern architechture odd and misshapen.

As the battle raged the fight came to the massive elongated ramp of the inner keep. Even with excellent support from ranged legends the likes of Desire, Dbrooks and Smals raining swift death on the enemy from above, the core melee group struggled to fight its way up the ramp. Near the end of the siege a strong push by the attackers allowed them to reach the base of the inner keep and make a small push up the next section of tiny incredibly defensible choke points.

On the journey home James remarked to the contingent of Acre fighters who had accompanied him into the siege " That was a meatgrinder, what twisted mind would march on such a castle, it was however a marvel to behold in the flesh."

(click to show/hide)