Author Topic: Superhero Comics - Where to Start for Newbies  (Read 923 times)

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
Superhero Comics - Where to Start for Newbies
« on: June 19, 2013, 07:57:17 pm »
+8
So, a clanmate recently expressed interest in reading superhero comics. I'm an avid comics fan (don't have the encyclopedic knowledge required to be a comics nerd) and so I made a list of superhero comics worth reading. The reason I didn't include comics in other genres is because that list would be even longer (And I would never stop gushing about Chew) and it isn't what was asked.

I've decided to share this list with anyone who might be interested, and see what other readers enjoy most in this genre. It's limited to ongoing series- that is, series that are currently being published on a regular basis. Usually monthly.

Archer & Armstrong: A classic misfit duo type book. It's got a great sense of humor and a strong sense of character development,  with a subtle thread underneath the puzzle-driven adventure. Hilarious super-villain groups, such as the One Percenters (exactly what you think, and something else) and the Null, a society dedicated to the number Zero and making everything equal Zero. If you're a fundamentalist Christian self-proclaimed conservative, you might be offended.

Bandette: I'm going to say this counts as a superhero comic. Without a doubt one of the best series out there right now. Excellent writing, phenomenal art, and a sense of amusement that just flies off the page.

Batman: The only Batman book worth reading, now that Batman Incorporated is no longer under Grant Morrison. While the author wrote Dick Grayson Batman better, he's proven himself capable of writing an engaging series with Batman doing Batman-y things. Like uncovering criminal secret societies while growling and punching horses in the face. The art is consistent. The coloring is probably the most uniquely good thing about the art.

Daredevil Vol. 3: If I had one comic series to give to someone to show that person what superhero comics are all about, this would be it. It showcases, more than anything else, the collaborative nature of comics- and how having an excellent writer, artist, letterer, and colorist that know how to work together well can yield a masterpiece.

Hawkeye: My personal favorite in this genre. The way the series conveys action and conversation are, well, revolutionary. Every little bit of art and writing oozes personality. You are irrevocably drawn into the mindset of the main character in a way that just doesn't happen in any other superhero comic. It doesn't hurt that it's stylish, and the art is phenomenal. Another great example of collaborative creation at it's best. I'm going to stop now, because I could go on. And on.

Quantum & Woody: It's funny. It's witty. It's crass. All at the same time. You've got two brothers. One is uptight, easily flustered, the perfect son, and an ex-Army officer. The other is a slacker scumbag con-artist. They become super-heroes...or do they? You find out. 

Superman Unchained: This series just started, so I shouldn't be judging it, but my was that first issue grand. It's the only Superman series I've seen in a long time that manages to convey just who Superman is as a person. As opposed to the punchy dude/man of the people/'badass' boyscout that he's usually portrayed as.

Wolverine and the X-Men: If you're going to read anything with Wolverine or any X-Man in it, this should be it. It's got child supervillains. And living mountains underneath a school. And stuff.

Young Avengers: I spent some of my teenaged years morosely sulking and watching Buffy. As you can imagine, I've had enough adolescent melodrama in my life, and as a result, my tolerance for teenagers in fiction isn't that high. Yet there's Young Avengers proving that the teenaged melodrama can be awesome! It really won me over, because I went in thinking I'd dislike it. It is, ultimately, about teenagers fucking up and learning that the only solution is to fix their mistakes themselves, and accept others. The art helped, too, since, well, it's excellent. The layouts are often more like infographics and website layouts used in a creative way to tell a story than the usual comic panel setup.

And that was A list. There's quite a few superhero comics out there that are still worth reading that didn't 'make the cut' for me just because it didn't have that extra oomph. Some of these comics have first issues that are free. With the others, buying them in graphic novel form (six issues-ish published in book) is generally cheaper. As is waiting for Comixology sales, which are like steam sales for comics. If you're going to pick just one superhero comic to read, I'd suggest Bandette. Because the first issue is free, and the rest are 99 cents.

ADDENDUM: It just occurred to me that the single biggest thing that people who are new to comics don't realize is that the best thing to do is to follow a creator/creative team rather than a specific concept/superhero. I think most comics readers only figure this out in adulthood, but even then, not everyone does it. Sure, you might like Spider-Man...does that mean you'll enjoy a Spider-Man comic? Maybe. However, if you like Dan Slott (the current writer for Spider-Man), chances are, you'll like Spider-Man. Get it?

As you read comics, you'll begin to develop a taste for specific writers and artists, which will help you figure out what comics you're going to like. Every team has it's bad days, but some teams are better on their worst days than others are on their best days.

UPDATE: Unfortunately, issues of Bandette are no longer free. They're now 99 cents.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 04:18:17 am by Kalam »

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Superhero Comics - Where to Start for Newbies
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 08:23:50 pm »
Is it much more complicated than buying one and reading it if you like ?

I mean most comics are extremely straightforward.

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 08:48:20 pm »
thanks for this dude,  at some point I will look into reading a few of'em.

btw what do you think of spawn?
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kalam

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 09:11:54 pm »
Is it much more complicated than buying one and reading it if you like ?

I mean most comics are extremely straightforward.

Unfortunately, most comics are. They're not making use of the unique storytelling techniques that sequential art is capable of.  That's why I've got this list, to help people pick series that are worth the money they're paying. If you're not, well, a big comics fan, it's not fun to sift through all the mediocre and shitty comics, I think.

It's like any form of storytelling though. There's stuff that makes a good movie, book, or song good, right? You know, things like plot, character development, camera shots, melody, and 'hooks'? It's the same with any media, really, including comics.

btw what do you think of spawn?

I did like Neil Gaiman's take on Spawn from the early nineties. I didn't mind, you know, Alan Moore's Spawn. I haven't really read any current Spawn comics. Unless you count #200, by Robert Kirkman.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 09:44:56 pm by Kalam »

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 07:43:09 pm »
+1
I used to be a comic book fan when I was a young teen, mostly X-Men, Spiderman, Batman and other DC, Marvel, Darkhorse heroes and villains, and later Spawn and Judge Dredd. When Marvel and DC branched out too much though, and we had to follow six different comics (in alternative universes) just to follow one hero it became ridiculous, and other interests pulled me away.

Haven't read comics for 15+ years now though about a month ago I took up a few Judge Dredd comics again. They were really good, excellent dark-humoured, society-critical, post-apocalyptic reading, the British Dredd is quite different from the typical US-based superheroes, if you're looking for something atypical.

My favourite comic book series are all from the 90s, and now that I'm writing I can see mostly the most fatalistic story arcs in their respective series.

'The Watchmen', probably takes a first, Alan Moore is a genius.

In the Spiderman series it is 'the Kraven Saga', where Spiderman 'dies', crawls around in dark graves full of spiders and Kraven takes on an 'evil Spiderman' identity. Also the high point of the black alien suit story line (the whole later Carnage thing never really amounted to be very impressive in comparison), and the best feature of the Chameleon, and the whole Peter Parker contra Spiderman dilemma.

Probably the best X-Men stripes were the 'Age of Apocalypse'. Alternative universes and story lines were yet pretty uncommon and this one turned it all on its head. Xavier is dead, killed by Legion, Apocalypse has taken over North America with armies of mutants, ethnically cleansing all homo sapiens, stacks upon stacks of human bodies and bones now fill the streets of post-apocalyptic American cities. Magneto, turned from his previous path by the death of his old friend now leads the X-Men and the free mutants. Some old X-Men like Shock, Cyclops and Death Angel are all now on Apocalypse's side, while Jean Grey and Wolverine are lovers once more, and fight for the human resistance based in Europe (mainly basing their armies on Sentinel technology, first time we see the always cool Sentinels as anything but antagonists). This is also, I think, the first time we hear of grade A and B mutants.

The first graphic novel titled 'Weapon X', was really good too (and had beautiful water colors), with much of Logan's early life. The story that was utterly fucked in the Hollywood Origins movie.

In Batman I think most of the gold lies hidden. 'Batman the Killing Joke' (Alan Moore) is most excellent, probably best apperance of the Joker, and otherwise Frank Miller's Batman is what I consider the best of Batman comics. 'The Dark Knight Returns' and 'The Dark Knight Strikes Again' are simply comic book masterpieces, featuring an aged Batman trying to continue his legacy in a dystopic future Gotham. This is where he beats Superman and kills the head of a major street gang/revolutionary force, assuming the position as their leader and inspiration, the Batman symbol becoming for these cyber bullies not unlike what the Hakenkreuz was for the young SA. I won't delve too deep into it, if you want to read some comics this is not a bad place to start.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 02:39:47 pm by Angantyr »

Offline Sagar

• Earl
  • Renown: 463
  • Infamy: 279
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bogumili
  • Game nicks: Sagar
  • IRC nick: Sagar
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 08:38:35 pm »
+2
Its not about superheros  :), but I really liked Northlanders.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Northlanders is an American comic book series published by DC Comics under their Vertigo imprint. The stories are fictional but set in and around historical events during the Viking Age.
Northlanders is written by Brian Wood, illustrated by various artists on a per storyline basis, and with painted cover art by Massimo Carnevale. The first issue of the series was published on December 5, 2007.
On June 9, 2011, Brian Wood announced via Twitter that the series had been canceled by Vertigo. It ended on April 11, 2012, at issue #50 ... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northlanders)

http://www.comicvine.com/northlanders/4050-20035/?page=1

Offline Kalam

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 11:50:51 pm »
+1

Watchmen was the first deconstruction, I think, and I'm sad that so many comics since then have been trying to emulate without acknowledging it as what it was- an excellent commentary on the history of comics, and what they meant to people.

The Killing Joke will always be a classic.

Since you're into the nineties thing, Angantyr, did you ever get a chance to read Robinson's Starman?

Dredd, and anything from 2000 A.D, is beautiful in it's ability to tell weird, short stories in such an efficient manner. I also like that the character ages 'with' us.

Its not about superheros  :), but I really liked Northlanders.

I've read Northlanders. If you liked it, I can recommend the current Conan: The Barbarian run by the same author, believe it or not. It's also got great art by Becky Cloonan. I'm not really a Conan fan, but I couldn't help but enjoy it all the same.

Offline Sir_Hans

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Beached_Dolphin, Sir_Hans
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 06:11:18 am »
+1
Did not read, but have to post this nonetheless:

(click to show/hide)

:mrgreen:

Wow that guy's aquaman costume riding the seahorse is fucking epic!

Aside from that... in reply to the original post: you should check out the graphic novel "Preacher" by ennis/dillon.
People either love it or hate it... but id say 4/5 love it rather than hate.
Its very graphic, violent, profane, perverted, sacrilegious etc... but its very good as well.

Offline Kalam

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 10:08:07 pm »
+1
Wow that guy's aquaman costume riding the seahorse is fucking epic!

Aside from that... in reply to the original post: you should check out the graphic novel "Preacher" by ennis/dillon.
People either love it or hate it... but id say 4/5 love it rather than hate.
Its very graphic, violent, profane, perverted, sacrilegious etc... but its very good as well.

Garth Ennis' worst comics are still better than most comics, and Preacher, to me, was one of his best. If you like it, The Boys and his MAX Punisher run would be to your liking. Not to mention his Hitman run. Currently, he's writing a mundane corrupt cop book that's great, called RED TEAM. Even though he's not a fan of superheroes, every one of his books (except Punisher) pretty much sends the same message. It's a great one, and a lesson worth repeating- even if it's hidden in depravity and violence.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 03:08:29 pm »
Since you're into the nineties thing, Angantyr, did you ever get a chance to read Robinson's Starman?
I didn't, I think, something about does ring a faint bell somewhere, though. Will take a look. Also, I'm only mentioning 90s material as that is the only reference I got, having been out of the loop for so long :) Honestly, I only really get to read books these days.

Offline Kalam

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 04:04:04 am »
Removing Batwoman from the list, because of this. Basically, DC being DC.

Adding Young Avengers.