Author Topic: Upkeep based on Riding?  (Read 637 times)

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • Renown: 636
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
Upkeep based on Riding?
« on: August 01, 2013, 07:30:53 pm »
+3
Yes? No? ideas? 

Was just thinking how broke i am going while even riding a steppe horse with a tribal warrior outfit on.  I cant ride my destrier without going absolutely broke.  Ill lose 10k in a week easily, so can we have upkeep based on how high your riding is leveled similar to how wpf lowers the chance for repair of weapons?  I feel like this would only make sense, even if it is not as great a value as the wpf upkeep figures.

Oh and before Tydeus comes in to shit on my thread, i searched for upkeep and riding and found nothing.

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
  • Renown: 609
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Who the fuck is this guy?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul
  • Game nicks: Necrorave and or Cheesus Crust
  • IRC nick: Necrorave
Re: Upkeep based on Riding?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 07:42:47 pm »
Yes? No? ideas? 

Was just thinking how broke i am going while even riding a steppe horse with a tribal warrior outfit on.  I cant ride my destrier without going absolutely broke.  Ill lose 10k in a week easily, so can we have upkeep based on how high your riding is leveled similar to how wpf lowers the chance for repair of weapons?  I feel like this would only make sense, even if it is not as great a value as the wpf upkeep figures.

Oh and before Tydeus comes in to shit on my thread, i searched for upkeep and riding and found nothing.

They make it expensive to keep people from using heavy cav all the time.  The upkeep is the only thing keeping the servers from overflowing with Horses made of steel with steel men on top of them.

It is a nice idea, but it would negate the purpose of making cav expensive.

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • Renown: 636
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 07:57:08 pm »
they said archery was too abundant too, and now there is like a 4x increase on upkeep on arrows.  However a heavy cav with one repair bill is like 3-5k gold.  isnt that a little much considering you dont make that in a round.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 08:09:18 pm »
Wouldn't be up to me, but I don't see why not. I'd say 6 or 7 riding should probably be the same as what 100 effective wpf is. Meaning anything less results in a slightly higher chance to break. This is probably why it hasn't been implemented, a lot of people will go broke.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 08:14:28 pm by Tydeus »
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
  • Renown: 609
  • Infamy: 71
  • Who the fuck is this guy?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul
  • Game nicks: Necrorave and or Cheesus Crust
  • IRC nick: Necrorave
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 08:11:44 pm »
they said archery was too abundant too, and now there is like a 4x increase on upkeep on arrows.  However a heavy cav with one repair bill is like 3-5k gold.  isnt that a little much considering you dont make that in a round.

I honestly don't.  I did a gen of 1h cav myself and found it that I was not losing or earning money with a decent setup and a destrier.  People who use things higher then that will be paying for he upgraded items.  I can understand that cav in general is very expensive.  Although, it is a very rewarding class if played correctly.  Looming a rouncy is a economic choice because you will have the same stats as a destrier with a much cheaper upkeep.

Plus, you are still effective on foot if you decide to abandon your horse.  Imagine an archer again.  They pay extra for Bodkin, but they can still be effective with barbed.

It's like choosing a sport car over a simple sedan.  Of course it is going to be better, but it will cost you.

It is a simple matter of crowd control.  (Although, it is not so simple at the same time)

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 08:14:33 pm »
... Ill lose 10k in a week easily, ...

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Lennu

• Marshall
  • Renown: 774
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Lennu
  • IRC nick: Lennu_
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 08:20:31 pm »
Then again, a hx can easily have 9 or 10 riding skill. That combined with a champion heavy horses having extreme low upkeep, could just cause a new infestation of horse crossbowmen, who instead of shooting that much simply focus on bumping with their heavy horses and making profit with it.
But yes, allowing riding skill to lower the repair chances just a tiny bit probably wouldn't hurt anyone.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 08:32:45 pm »
Then again, a hx can easily have 9 or 10 riding skill. That combined with a champion heavy horses having extreme low upkeep, could just cause a new infestation of horse crossbowmen, who instead of shooting that much simply focus on bumping with their heavy horses and making profit with it.
But yes, allowing riding skill to lower the repair chances just a tiny bit probably wouldn't hurt anyone.
Doubt it would lower your upkeep by all that much if it were to be implemented(think this is one of those cmp things, urist might be able to do it though).
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 08:37:26 pm »
I don't fuck around in upkeep stuff without overlord approval.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 12:51:19 am »
I think it is fine the way it is. I have 8 riding and so would benefit from a change. Pick and choose when you ride your expensive pony, and don't expect to have both an expensive horse and expensive gear.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 01:06:53 am »
+1
I don't fuck around in upkeep stuff without overlord approval.

Or crouching just insta dagger draw.