Author Topic: We should change the map rotation  (Read 1964 times)

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
Re: We should change the map rotation
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 11:19:44 pm »
There are too many hilly maps and siege like maps on EU_1 imo.

Offline Legs

• Marshall
  • Renown: 819
  • Infamy: 88
  • cRPG Player
  • Loco Motive
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Arms, Legs
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 11:37:20 pm »
+1
WE NEED AN NA SCENE MANAGER. BADLY.

PLEASE DEVS!

WE ARE TIRED OF ALL THESE OLD NATIVE SINGLE PLAYER MAPS!

SEND HELP!
Legs are used for standing, walking, jumping, running, kicking, and similar activities.

Offline Fips

• King
  • Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 11:44:22 pm »
None of those lazy NA bums applied for the scene manager position, so you'll have to live with 2 EUs now. =O

Offline obitus

• Earl
  • Renown: 486
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeAOv_H-hh0&hd=1
  • Faction: kings of kd
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2013, 02:30:52 am »
I for one have faith in our new Scene Overlords.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2013, 09:23:52 am »
I wouldn't care at all if NA and EU had the same rotation, as long as it changed frequently enough to not be stale. the metagame is different between continents, but not different enough that map choices are super important to balance.

...what about poor old CN? I don't even know what maps they've had/have...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2013, 04:38:02 pm »
+3
We have new Scene Managers, Fips and Teeth, which have reworked the rotations and added a lot of new maps to next patch, so it's already in the works.

I'd have no problem appointing a NA Scene Managers, but no one stepped forward for the 2 weeks the application thread was open. It's hard to take the "no one cares about NA" argument seriously, when no one from NA is actually prepared to step forward and accept responsibilities.
Monkeys!

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2013, 04:50:24 pm »
It's hard to take the "no one cares about NA" argument seriously, when no one from NA is actually prepared to step forward and accept responsibilities.

And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline Neggaz

• Baron
  • Renown: 85
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2013, 05:23:26 pm »
+1
Aight I will try to take this responsability even if I dont know shit about how to do theses kind of things.. and btw elindor applyed for this and hes NA
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 05:37:59 pm by Neggaz »

Offline //saxon

• King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • I'm just to dam goood 😎
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Saxon
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2013, 06:15:02 pm »
i heard something to do with official servers having tons of maps but because the server restarts at a certain time, the map rotation obv starts again so the servers only got enough time to use a % of all the maps, so if there was no restart then all the maps will get played over and over.

not sure if its true but its what i got told.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2013, 06:40:00 pm »
+2
I wouldn't care at all if NA and EU had the same rotation, as long as it changed frequently enough to not be stale. the metagame is different between continents, but not different enough that map choices are super important to balance.

...what about poor old CN? I don't even know what maps they've had/have...
I've been to the CN server a couple of times and they have loads of really weird ass maps I have never seen before, they look quite fun. Not at all realistic or particularly well made, but lulzy nonetheless.

So far about 20 maps have been removed. If it is hilly and a village it is probably gone next patch :P. Also of a lot of extremely similar ruin maps have been removed and those with questionable balance. 6 new maps are already lined up, and that is just for battle. Big siege changes as well. We have plenty of more things to do, but if a patch were to happen now, I think it is already a good improvement. In any case it will be a change, which is probably in itself farely appreciated at this point.

i heard something to do with official servers having tons of maps but because the server restarts at a certain time, the map rotation obv starts again so the servers only got enough time to use a % of all the maps, so if there was no restart then all the maps will get played over and over.

not sure if its true but its what i got told.
Currently this is not the case. Servers do not restart at a set time anymore, all restarts are done manually and not all that often. The battle rotation which we have been playing for the past 4 months has almost 80(!) maps in the rotation, a number which should give plenty of variation. Map selection is on shuffle for the server. I don't think the shuffle works very well though. I have had instances where I played a map and about 5 maps later I played the same map. So it doesn't actually go through each map before repeating maps. I can't tell how borked it is, but that might very well be the cause for the complaints that we're always playing the same maps. No doubt selective memory plays a part too though.

We are thinking about turning off the shuffle and creating a custom rotation which ensures that every map gets played before maps get repeated. This strict order of maps would also allow us to ensure variations within a playing session. No more playing 6 'ruins in a green field' in a row. Downside would be that the rotation would get predictable because the order is always the same.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2013, 08:12:10 pm »
We are thinking about turning off the shuffle and creating a custom rotation which ensures that every map gets played before maps get repeated. This strict order of maps would also allow us to ensure variations within a playing session. No more playing 6 'ruins in a green field' in a row. Downside would be that the rotation would get predictable because the order is always the same.

+1
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Winterly

• Count
  • Renown: 230
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • I play with Quiet Mode On.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2013, 08:30:31 pm »
At this point, I don't even care if the maps are unbalanced, just throw some new ones on there.
Winterly's Stuff(selling Courser/buying head and foot armor)
I love how most EU players insert an imaginary "f" into my name: Winterfly.
"Life is kind of like peeing into the snow in a dark winter night, you probably made a difference, but it's really hard to tell" - Joe Wong

Offline Nehvar

• Duke
  • Renown: 550
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2013, 08:55:04 pm »
words

What's the ETA on this patch?
WSE2 gives us the key to a wonderful world of butthurt...

Offline Fips

• King
  • Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2013, 09:01:55 pm »
What's the ETA on this patch?

Only chadz knows.

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2013, 09:12:45 pm »

Could you make it so that those 80 maps must be played before one can be repeted but in a shullfe, so we would have to play 80 different maps and when the new cycle comes we have 80 maps again but not in the same order.

I imagine it would take some time you guys don't have but maybe do that with a  smaller ammout of maps would work. Even 40/50 maps in random rotation without the posibility of repeating afer 5 maps would feel refreshing.

p.s. Random scenes are caused by some sort of a defect in the current map so the server generates a random one or something like that right? Might throw in a random plains every once in a while for diversity  :mrgreen: not that I like them but still alot of people do.
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works