Author Topic: Best 1h/Shield Build  (Read 2841 times)

Offline LordRichrich

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 115
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Best 1h/Shield Build
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 09:10:43 am »
21/18 level 30

7 PS, 6 shield, 6 ath, 6wm

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 03:59:46 pm »
I think they should be converting 8 skills to attributes at level 30 (so a 24/15 or 21/18 build) rather than converting 2 skills to attributes and going something like 21/15 or 18/18

21/15 is nice because you're maxing all your skills:

Strength: 21
    Agility: 15
    Hit points: 70

Converted: 2
    Ironflesh: 7
    Power Strike: 7
    Shield: 5
    Athletics: 5
    Weapon Master: 5

One Handed: 148

24/15 is nice because you have 8 PS versus 7 (which is more important to me), and I made this build thinking it would be more popular than what I would prefer, dropping both IF and maxing WM and 1h WPF (I'd rather have an offensive bonus than a defensive one)

Strength: 24
    Agility: 15
    Hit points: 63

Converted: 8
    Ironflesh: 2
    Power Strike: 8
    Shield: 5
    Athletics: 5
    Weapon Master: 3

One Handed: 132
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 04:32:58 pm »
+2
13/24

Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)

Strength: 13
Agility: 24
Skills to attributes: 4
Power Strike: 4
Shield: 8
Athletics: 8
Weapon Master: 7
One Handed: 160
Polearm: 55

using steel pick, broad one handewd battle axe(secondary mode! 30 pierce fully loomed) or Military Hammer

1 slot shield like Knightly Heater or Elit Cav

Warspear as anticav, sheatable and goes with shield, or if you are good at manual blocking awlpike also sheatable
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2013, 05:23:33 pm »
Would dagger shield build work?
Anyone tried it?

yeah it can be very effective.

Prolly want at least 6 shield skill, maybe 7 cuz it breaks and you're dead.

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2013, 06:22:37 pm »
Anyone tried it?

I've tried it on siege. So much fun. Wore light armor, my elite cav shield, and my mighty seax regular knife. You really need to aim for weakspots in bodies and run or pick up a new weapon when fighting full plate. (As in full plate head and toe, otherwise just aim for skin)

18/18 or 21/18 or 18/21.

They all work.

Offline Shaksie

• Count
  • Renown: 195
  • Infamy: 115
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Double Thickshake
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 06:27:51 pm »
+1
Honestly I loved this:
Strength:        21
Agility:         15

Skills to attributes:    2

Ironflesh:        2
Power Strike:     7
Shield:           5
Athletics:        5
Power Throw:      5
Weapon Master:    5

One Handed:     121
Throwing:       100

Pretty squishy but if you can block effectively and play defensively then it's not bad at all in melee.
I used a Niuweidao, (would most certainly have used one of the 0 slot weapons now though, probably Broad Short Sword or Nordic Short War Sword and perhaps a larger shield, maybe Huscarl's or Triangle)  Jarids and 12 weight body armor and equal tier of other slots. Probably would have used Throwing Spears if I did it again though.

Anyone tried it?

A lot of agility is needed, I went 9/27 with a Rondel Dagger and Knightly Heater Shield and it was quite good, headshots from Rondel do pretty immense damage and if you have some degree of skill, your feints will be too fast for even the best players to block. However, obviously your range is tiny so right swings and being conservative and defensive when needed are vital.

VERY nice boy :)

Offline brockssn

• Baron
  • Renown: 133
  • Infamy: 182
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2013, 07:24:04 pm »
I had 24/15 8PS build for a while and I retired my lvl 33 shielder because I leveled an alt up to 15/21 and had much more success and fun with it. That build can wear very heavy armor and be very fast or wear very light armor and be incredibly fast. Either way 15/21 is my new fav 1h build.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2013, 08:47:05 pm »
brock what 1h are you using with 5 power strike?  6 PS is painful, 5 is just brutal (with 1h swords)
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2013, 10:22:50 pm »
+1
brock what 1h are you using with 5 power strike?  6 PS is painful, 5 is just brutal (with 1h swords)

Honestly you can do fine with 5ps and a 1h sword. It's all about the held attacks and speed bonus.

My assassin alt uses a non-loomed plain espada (25 cut/31 pierce) and I rarely glance with swings or thrusts.

Offline Normanguy

• Knight
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2013, 12:56:37 pm »
To be honest depends on what you like, do you like being fast or strong...

If fast try 18/21 6 powerstrike and low if (not really needed in shielder), then 7 or 6 in shield wm and ath

If you want to be strong try 24/15 is very nice or 21/18 if you would want to be more balanced.

Then you can decide on your equip from there very simple to see what you prefer just dont go to heavy with more agility build as it will slow you down far to much.

Good luck pm me if you need anything else!:)

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2013, 01:09:05 pm »
Honestly you can do fine with 5ps and a 1h sword. It's all about the held attacks and speed bonus.

This. I've done 18/18 tons of times with no looms, and I've also done 15/18 and it's usually no problem at all. Only problems are Butan (40 str, 13 IF, loomed heaviest armor in the game) and if you fail at your footwork yourself. 6-7 ps and a loomed weapon is more forgiving even if you do bad swings, 5 ps and no looms isn't. Of course it'll be a bit weaker with lower ps, but agility is more important than strength for a shielder/1h anyway because of your lack of length. You'll make up a lot of the damage loss by abusing speed bonus, like mentioned by Rusty.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Adam_Bomb

• Knight
  • Renown: 54
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Im_With_Stupid, Someones_Alt
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2013, 05:14:28 pm »
3 str
36 agi
11 ath 12 shield
Rondel dagger, any shield
I don't know how you can watch with_stupid, every time i see him play i want to put infants in a blender.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2013, 06:14:11 pm »
27/12
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline brockssn

• Baron
  • Renown: 133
  • Infamy: 182
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2013, 06:26:47 pm »
I use Mighty Iberian Mace with 5PS

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2013, 11:34:14 am »
+3
A few gens ago I did 18/24 and had a blast. Used an heirloomed green crescent shield (58 width!) and 8 shield skill made it last forever. Beyond 6 shield skill your blocking speed and radius get crazy. I've caught arrows with a steel buckler that look like they landed on my elbow. I traded +3 1h weapons around as i leveled. Military cleaver, flanged mace, and iron mace were a lot of fun.

18 STR is enough to use any 1h, as well as letting you reach 6 power strike. I try not to go lower than that with 1h, since by default they are less damaging than 2h and polearms. 24 agility and 8 athletics lets you outrun anyone on foot, besides dedicated arbalest and the rare katana-having ninja. 8 shield skill lets you basically block with impunity no matter what shield you bring, loomed or not. You shouldn't need many points in WM if you're only using one weapon type so you can leave it low.

The only downside of this build is that you need to be at least level 32 to reach 18/24 with full skills. You can just barely fit it into your build if you skip ironflesh. Hurts most in strategus, where you will be much more frail than your fellow shield wall allies.

I've done 24/15 with heavy mail and a plate covered round shield as well. 8 PS will shock a lot of enemies at how much your swings hurt. 15 agi / 5 athletics was too slow for me though.

If you play DTV, builds with 10-13 shield skill are viable and will greatly increase your team's chance of winning. You pull the herd of enemies into a corner then just keep your nigh-invincible shield up while your team mows them down.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far