Author Topic: They are building siege towers on battle  (Read 814 times)

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
They are building siege towers on battle
« on: March 29, 2013, 04:32:47 am »
and it's crashing people. You'll see if you check logs that they built a siege tower and it crashed like half the server.

Also, maybe tell them to stop since it is kinda griefing.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
Re: They are building siege towers on battle
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 04:46:27 am »
They only built one, and crashed themselves when they did it. They're in teamspeak with us and they did not intend to crash anyone.

They're the construction crew, they're just playing their classes.

(click to show/hide)

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline partyboy

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
  • BRING BACK LADDERS
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GODQUEEN_PARTYGIRL_OF_BIRD
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 04:48:33 am »
We didn't know it would crash the server (I was one of the ones who crashed) and you'll notice we haven't since.  We're single digit levels and just trying to have fun.

Also, maybe tell them to stop since it is kinda griefing.

lol, "tell them to stop".  you posted in the ban request forum.  this is effectively a ban request.  call it what it is.
Subject displays signs of antisocial behaviour

Offline Penguin

• Duke
  • Renown: 670
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player
  • JesusChrist
    • View Profile
  • Faction: [A]rrows Incoming!
  • Game nicks: [Y]Retreat!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 04:50:09 am »
Anders you made it out like they were intentionally trying to crash the server, they build a siege tower once and about half the server dropped. This game needs more engineers and builders to spice the game up and provide entertainment.
"As you gaze upon the cross, and long for conformity to him, be not weary or fearful because you cannot express in words what you seek. Ask him to plant the cross in your heart. Believe in him, the crucified and now living one, to dwell within you, and breathe his own mind there."

Offline Lemon

• Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 190
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Lemon Company
  • Game nicks: #Free Lemon 2012
  • IRC nick: Lemon
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 04:50:51 am »
I was part of that group and NONE of us expected it to crash.. in fact I think we felt a little guilty after it all. We apologized, and I think it's a mutual feeling that this is unnecessary and there is no need to ban us.
Lemon Luther King JR, has a dream, where all trolls are treated with fairness and equality. Lemon's want to be able to vote, and ride in the front of the bus, and drink from the same fountain that we do. Please right this inequality

Offline Havelle

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 364
  • Infamy: 37
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Frisitan
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 06:49:23 am »
The crash wasn't intentional, and I'm not entirely sure what happened. Apologies, other than the crash, it was good fun.

Offline partyboy

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
  • BRING BACK LADDERS
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GODQUEEN_PARTYGIRL_OF_BIRD
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 06:52:57 am »
Though, I really did like when we tried to build a smaller siege tower and it summoned the bridge and flew it from across the map.  Like, how the fuck do you even make that possible?  How do you break a game mechanic that badly? 
Subject displays signs of antisocial behaviour

Offline Kelugarn

• Marshall
  • Renown: 936
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • #̪͎̳̭̰͓͙ͯ͗̇͘ͅͅ1̢ͨ̈̆̓ͮ͐̌͏̪̦͓̣ ̽̇ͫ҉̸͕̻͙͖̮̹ͅN̡̥̭͖͙ͮ͊͡
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
  • Game nicks: Froyo The Wizard
  • IRC nick: #FreeArys2012
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 07:02:53 am »
Building siege equipment has been bugged out on beta servers since the latest patch was rolled out. There have been plenty of threads from strat battles on EU_3 documenting this.

Back to the topic at hand, while building siege equipment isn't an offense in it's own right it is generally only acceptable when the entire team is involved. If half the team is fighting as normal while the other half is building it can be detrimental to performance. Now, the crashing was pretty obviously a total accident and unexpected, but building a siege tower doesn't really contribute to the team and is more like leeching than contributing.

Since this is a one of a kind incident there's really nothing to say but: don't build siege equipment (siege towers and catapults specifically) in any of the beta servers (NA 1, 2, 6, 7) until the bugs have been taken care of. Once the bugs are ironed out don't go and build unless it's a team effort, some admins might not take too kindly to it.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 07:11:10 am by Kelugarn »

Offline Ragnar_Ulfson

• Count
  • Renown: 185
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ulfson
  • IRC nick: Ulfson
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 02:15:32 pm »
Ander's is considered America of  the cRPG community, world police!

(In Arnold voice)  STOP WHINING ANDERS!

Offline Rainbow

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 03:46:32 pm »
I was there when it happened.  We had about 10 people building useless shit leeching.  If you were on the construction team you lost... period.  They crashed the server once and did not stop building siege towers.  It actually forced me to log off for the night because it made every battle very one sided.  I was stuck on there team many maps in a row and just got frustrated w/ the leeching.  Like I said, it made every battle EXTREMELY one sided.  Granpappy was on and told them to stop building useless shit in the corner of the map but I logged off before anything serious happened if they even got punished at all.  Most of them weren't even spawning in w/ a melee wep. 

It was just very annoying so I had to just call it quits last night.  That's my 2 cents.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 04:52:58 pm »
Overall I've been a supporter of engineering in the game. However, these are the things I look for out of the engineers to keep the game fun for everyone.

1: Don't build catapults or siege towers. They take too long and/or are bugged and will generally be considered a leeching activity.
2: Don't build at the edges of the map/out of the way spots. Your construction should be supporting your team and being off somewhere alone isn't doing that.
3: Spawn with a weapon. Place it into slot 1 in your equipment so that it shows when you spawn. Don't force the admins to constantly ask where your weapon is.
4: Building a weapon rack and spawning horse stakes and siege shields to build fortifications is okay. Do NOT spam more than 1 item in the same spot to block movement. In other words, if you build a ring of horse stakes, you can not spawn siege shields to make an additional inner or outer ring. Healing tents inside are okay. *Personal opinion - I think this is a more effective counter to cavalry and archers than nerfs.

For the construction haters:

As long as the engineers are following the above and other common sense guidelines, it is a supported style of playing. It is not for you to decide how others should play the game. So, the rule that you should keep in mind is:

1: Do not attack team equipment.

Personally I think that both factions need to adapt to the supported mechanics, using the guidelines above. Construction equipment can be very effective when placed properly, not at the edges of the map or out of the way areas (in general). Players who work together as a team will win more consistently than those who do not. Charging recklessly is a valid play style and I will not counsel you to stop doing what you find fun, but if winning is what you find fun, you might consider working with the resources given in the game in the way of controlling cavalry charges and blocking arrow storms and that means cooperating with teammates who must build these fortifications in useful places for the team.

As this is is a ban request thread and not a forum for discussion of game mechanics, I am locking this thread. Feel free to quote what I've said on the matter into another forum section whether you agree or disagree and wish to comment on it.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln