Author Topic: I'm trying to play an archer but I just can't see my arrows... any tips/tricks?  (Read 1018 times)

Offline Sir_Hans

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Beached_Dolphin, Sir_Hans
It annoys me more than anything...
I'm trying to adjust my shots but i cant see my arrows in flight or even where they land.
darker levels, shaded areas, etc... make it even worse. 

I swear my eyes even get sore after a hour or two of playing archer because i'm trying to focus so hard on the tiny 2 pixel flash that is an arrow, constantly.  :cry:

How can you archers actually enjoy this?
This is like nails on a chalkboard to me...

I've heard the heirloom mod pack helps if you have loomed arrows but I do not...

ISO tips or tricks...

Offline Panos

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 1319
  • Infamy: 551
  • cRPG Player
  • Hate for 2h kuyak my old friends.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Varangian Guard
  • Game nicks: Varangian_Panos
  • IRC nick: Panos
ISO tips or tricks...

Yes, switch class.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Muki

• Earl
  • Renown: 455
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • 偽善正義
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Exile
  • Game nicks: Muki
  • IRC nick: Muki, Muki39
get a retexture pack?

As a volunteer admin I clearly have no life and live only to eradicate all fun and enjoyment from the game. Your tears of rage are all the payment I need.
Yes I drew most of my avatars

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
Try this:
open item_kinds1.txt in your cRPG folder with notepad and replace these

arrows_flying_h1
barbed_arrows_flying_h1
bodkin_arrows_flying_h1
tatar_arrows_flying_h1

with

flying_missile

Note that this change will get overwritten every time there is a patch.

e:
You may also want to replace steel_bolts_flying_h1 and bolts_flying_h1.

If you are using notepad++, you can do a regexp search/replace (find: '[\w_]+flying_h1', replace: 'flying_missile').
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 03:00:40 am by Vodner »

Offline Sir_Hans

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile

I can't seem to find "item_kinds1.txt" in either my warband or cRPG install folders...?

Oh wait I think I found it...  :mrgreen:

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
I swear my eyes even get sore after a hour or two of playing archer

That happens to me no matter what graphics settings I have. If you are making long distance shots, it can be really taxing on your sight.

Speaking of graphics settings, what resolution do you play at? I have trouble seeing arrows and bolts at 1024x768 and lower resolution.

Using the native M&B projectiles should help. They are much more visible.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Sir_Hans

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
I'm playing at 1920x1080 32 bit.
settings are mediumish but texture detail is set at 100%

Currently not running WSE2, I think i find them slightly easier to see without WSE2 because I get some weird chunky inconsistencies in frames, when i run wse2.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
Just cheat like a lot of other people.

You can change your textures so that any weapon or projectile is a brightly colored neon color (I've heard of other people who change the texture to something larger so it's easier to see, wouldn't doubt if Flying Dildo's actually sees dildos when he shoots).  I would probably do that if I was an archer, I've threatened to do that as a cavalry lancer (make any pokey weapon over 140 length bright pink), but I'm not gamey enough to do so.

There's other "cheats" that people do as well, such as changing bushes and hay stacks into flat textures, so when someone thinks they're hiding behind a bush, you can still see them.

There's threads on the c-rpg forums on how to do both, but I can't be arsed to find them.   You can also probably find the same information on the taleworlds forums.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline bigsean

• Knight
  • Renown: 74
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Idlewild, BigSean, Tacabro
I'm playing at 1920x1080 32 bit.
settings are mediumish but texture detail is set at 100%

Currently not running WSE2, I think i find them slightly easier to see without WSE2 because I get some weird chunky inconsistencies in frames, when i run wse2.

The biggest reason I don't use WSE2, I think the arrows get anti-aliased so damn hard to see. They are already small enough as it is.

Offline Sir_Hans

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Just cheat like a lot of other people.

You can change your textures so that any weapon or projectile is a brightly colored neon color (I've heard of other people who change the texture to something larger so it's easier to see, wouldn't doubt if Flying Dildo's actually sees dildos when he shoots).  I would probably do that if I was an archer, I've threatened to do that as a cavalry lancer (make any pokey weapon over 140 length bright pink), but I'm not gamey enough to do so.

There's other "cheats" that people do as well, such as changing bushes and hay stacks into flat textures, so when someone thinks they're hiding behind a bush, you can still see them.

There's threads on the c-rpg forums on how to do both, but I can't be arsed to find them.   You can also probably find the same information on the taleworlds forums.

I've heard of some people doing this, but I also hear others say that it's no longer possible to do so?
Just tweaking the brightness/contrast of the arrow to make it much brighter color (while still keeping some of its natural shades) would seem like an easy fix for me.

Is it really possible to do this? that bush cheat doesn't seem too bad either  :mrgreen: I will aboose