Author Topic: The Strategus Draft: An Idea  (Read 894 times)

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
The Strategus Draft: An Idea
« on: March 16, 2013, 02:46:25 am »
+3
I've played every round of Strategus seriously except it's latest iteration. It's a game that very accurately mimics the highs and lows of political competition I'm certain it wasn't supposed to be that way, though I'm sure we all enjoy aspects of the diplomacy game. In the last month or so, several players have mentioned Strategus' problems, and Canary pointed out the issue of internet friendship and what Strategus can do to it.

A lot of what leaves a bad taste in the mouth for players, I believe, is the constant propaganda attacks that tends to color every round of Strategus. It wasn't quite there in the beginning, and it's not as bad as it's been now, but it's still out there. Every time I read the forums or play cRPG, there's at least one ill-informed comment or outright lie about another clan, and sometimes, we believe them.

That's fine. It's a natural part of any competition that involves social groups. However, it's things like this that make Strategus a big deal. So much so that generally speaking, you won't go to war with another faction unless you're willing to have your relationship with the people within it strained, if not entirely severed.

I believe I've got the solution, and unlike other improvements to Strategus, this is something that involves no coding. No developer time. Just the willingness of a community to re-shape itself.

THE SOLUTION

Every major clan elects one leader, preferably their resident role-player or innocuous fun times troll. The leaders have to pick their faction one player at a time, like it's a pick-up ball game. Or a professional draft, however you want to see it. The caveat?

The leader has to pick members of every other clan participating in the draft before he can pick someone from his own clan. For example: Hospitaller_Frogger is elected as a leader. He now has to take his turn to pick members of his Strat team. The clans involved are Occitan, TkoV, Hospitallers, CHAOS, Ravens, LLJK, FCC, Fallen, and Manscouts. Frogger will have to choose someone from Occitan, TkoV, CHAOS, Ravens, LLJK, FCC, Fallen, and Manscouts before he can choose someone from Hospitaller. He keeps on picking people through this cycle on his turn until there's no one left to pick.

The clans involved would then set a time for a Strategus sub-round and a win condition, agreed upon by all. Say, three months with 'Own Veluca and the surrounding environs' as the win condition. At the end of three months, the Strat team that owns that area would win the sub-round and the clans would start another one.

In this system, you wouldn't have to sacrifice gametime with your regular clan or anything like that- teams could just go to a TS for their Strat battles and nothing else- continuing to play with their clans in cRPG while organizing with their teams on irc or steam, etc.

PARTING WORDS

This is just an idea. I feel that this might invigorate Strategus for a lot of people, because everyone would fight everyone else, and I believe it would bring the community closer together. If anyone likes the idea and is serious about it, well, then great. We can talk about the finer details of how we'll implement it and who's participation we'll need.

Offline Tanken

• King
  • Renown: 1463
  • Infamy: 395
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Tanken
Re: The Strategus Draft: An Idea
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 03:01:04 am »
You have a lot of time on your hands my good sir.
Below is a Collection of Finalists in my Design my Avatar contest -- They all did Awesome!
Thanks to all of those who contributed.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline BaleOhay

• Marshall
  • Renown: 789
  • Infamy: 229
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BS
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 03:31:26 am »
+1
would be pretty interesting to see who people picked...

in theory great game in practice likely terrible.

Most everyone will pick based on strat scores in battle. Which will do great if those people are not useless on the map.

No way to tell who the good map people are based on any of the available data.
Leader of BS

Offline Relit

• Duke
  • Renown: 574
  • Infamy: 109
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Relit
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 03:47:04 am »
+3
A interesting idea. I probably would not participate, I would much rather play strategus with people I enjoy teaming up with, than just a random grouping.

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 04:11:05 am »
+1
sounds fun, but very hard to implement and i dont see enough people going along with it. it would be fun as a side mode or something but getting people to actually do this with all the troops and gold and epeen on the line... people would have to go in with different expectations that just don't seem very common in strat... I'd be down to try it but I don't think it would work out, plus if not everyone goes for it then the people who try it would just get wrecked... even so i would love to see Diggles, Arowaine, Kesh and Smoothrich in the same faction; they would either wreck everyone or literally kill each other.

Offline Gmnotutoo

• King
  • Renown: 1387
  • Infamy: 229
  • Space Pope of BIRD CLAN
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Unicorns
  • Game nicks: Gmnotutoo
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 04:13:44 am »
+1
I'd do it just to see Arowaine, Kesh, and Smooth have to cooperate.

Also I can force people to be ninjas. I would really like this to happen in 5.0, at least on the NA side. What people don't realize is it will strengthen the bond of our community by forcing us all to get to know other players and work with them.

THIS IS A MANLY CLAN. FOR MANLY MEN. DOING MANLY THINGS.

Offline arowaine

• Duke
  • Renown: 614
  • Infamy: 159
    • View Profile
    • http://occitanclan.webs.com/
  • Faction: Occitan
  • Game nicks: Occitan_Arowaine
  • IRC nick: arowaine
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 04:40:49 am »
+3
I'd do it just to see Arowaine, Kesh, and Smooth have to cooperate.

Also I can force people to be ninjas. I would really like this to happen in 5.0, at least on the NA side. What people don't realize is it will strengthen the bond of our community by forcing us all to get to know other players and work with them.

you would be suprise how we would actually kick ass since we are kesh and i both good manager/smooth good talker... we would actually do a good combination of leadership maybe.

(click to show/hide)

not a bad idea but i personally like strat as for team play organisation etc...and keep in mind that for example you forget different language barrier wish make hard for some not only french canadian but some other to actually enjoy and be part of the strat. Personal point of view
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 04:45:12 am by arowaine »
Desire: pls smite FCC 2.0 T.T

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 05:32:05 am »
Would be an awesome idea if there was tournament play (which would be better then strat in its current state tbh) but unfortunately there isn't. As for making Strategus less of a shit fest regarding diplomacy I think kinngrimms older idea of having a random opponent every x amount of time would work better for strat purposes.
Pock gobblers

Offline BADPLAYER_old2

• Earl
  • Renown: 360
  • Infamy: 235
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Not a Bad player
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 05:46:42 am »
+4
I really like this idea, because it also leaves alot of room for "intrigue" (spergy I know) inside a faction which I feel is something that can't be done aslong as everyone in your faction is friends. My ideal game of Strategus would be like Crusader Kings 2, a bunch of dudes all vying for power in a faction and trying to dick each other over, but also having to watch out for each other because of other factions who are even more likely to try wipe you out.

It would probably end with the same old people grouping as usual however it would be worth a try in my opinon.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 07:20:40 am »
+2
you would be suprise how we would actually kick ass since we are kesh and i both good manager/smooth good talker... we would actually do a good combination of leadership maybe.

(click to show/hide)

not a bad idea but i personally like strat as for team play organisation etc...and keep in mind that for example you forget different language barrier wish make hard for some not only french canadian but some other to actually enjoy and be part of the strat. Personal point of view

Well we are secretly married in strat according to witchcraft's picture and kalam's spying, so this could work out better than people would think.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Latvian

• King
  • Renown: 1494
  • Infamy: 379
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • с̴͎͖͈͟͠ͅу̷̸̻̣͇͚̫͎͇̩̟̖̪͇̯к̀́͠͞҉͎͚͎а̰̤͕̱͔̬͖̟̺͍͎́͞ ̸͝
    • View Profile
  • Faction: one and only DESERTERS
  • Game nicks: u know its me when you see me
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 08:24:27 am »
tl;dr version is most welcome :)
people are like potatoes, they come in different shapes and sizes and they all are beautifull
masturbating while looking in a mirror isnt wrong unless its the rear view mirror and you are driving a school buss.

it doesnt matter if you are happiest person or an unfortunate weeper, a powerfull beast or a terrifying creature. we are all equal, in the eyes of the reaper.

Offline Haboe

• King
  • Renown: 1090
  • Infamy: 331
  • Born with a shield on my back. Difficult birth.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Haboe
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 11:34:13 am »
+4
The only reason i spend time in strat is to enjoy it with my clan..

So a no from my side.

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 04:23:54 pm »
+1
A good idea, but I'd rather have the freedom to strat with whoever I want to.

The propaganda is fun. The nerd rivalry us fine. The same old alliances and rivalries that are annoying. I think that players will eventually shift things up on their own, but waiting for that sucks, and it might not happen. Idk how to fix.
"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG

Offline MURDERTRON

• King
  • Renown: 1337
  • Infamy: 428
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TRUMP / WEST 2020
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 09:11:22 am »
A tournament structure would be better, because it doesn't give as much opportunity for sabotage.  You'd have to put some pretty hefty prizes on the line in order to get people to actually cooperate and show up.

In fact, I'd almost prefer strategus get switched to some sort of grid structure and battles take place at set times.  That would let us leave the silly map with its awful battle times.
▀█▀▒█▀█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒█▒█▀█▒▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█
▒█▒▒█▄█▒█▒█▒██▒██▒█▄█▒▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒█
▒█▒▒█▀▄▒█▄█▒█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒▄