Author Topic: Character Skills/Attributes Rework  (Read 405 times)

Offline Riptyde

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
  • My skills are like whoa
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Restry
Character Skills/Attributes Rework
« on: February 12, 2013, 07:57:01 pm »
Something like this may have been suggested before probably, but I'm at work and have yet to take the time to look.

I think with a 'little' reworking characters could be a lot more customizable.
Suggestion: get rid of things like speed and damage on weapons/shields. (Arrows can just have +1, +2 ect damage-wide on them depending on the arrowtip). Have a characters attributes/skills look something like:
Str - dictates how hard you hit (melee and range)
Finesse - how fast you strike with your weapon, pull your bow
Reflexes - how fast you block with weapon/shield
Agil - how fast you move.
Weapon proficiency with two categories of melee and range. (Melee would obviously have an overall effect on your melee fighting while range would increase accuracy etc.)
Give everyone the ability to ride a horse (except maybe the top two statwise horses), but add Horsemanship that would noticeably enhance speed and maneuverability and give access at a certain level to top tier horses.
Your Str + agil would dictate the effect that armour/weapon weight has on your speed. When your riding your horsemanship stat would dictate how your weight effects your horses speed.
I think something along these lines would open up tweaking a char to your preference, make the game more realistic, and help reduce people getting stuck with one way of fighting till they can hit 31 and respec without taking an exp hit.
*pardon the messy format, I typed this out on my phone
~sig space for sale~

Offline oohillac

• Marshall
  • Renown: 724
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player
  • boys don't cry
    • View Profile
Re: Character Skills/Attributes Rework
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 08:23:44 pm »
Why would any of this be necessary?

I think something along these lines would open up tweaking a char to your preference

But these changes would also make combat even more complex to balance.

make the game more realistic

I believe there is a subforum for this reasoning.

and help reduce people getting stuck with one way of fighting till they can hit 31 and respec without taking an exp hit.

The game shouldn't be such a grind to you that you feel obligated to level to 31 with an unfun playstyle.  If it is, perhaps re-evaluate why you play this game.

And as far as I can tell, these changes would limit your character far more than the current stat options, where hybriding on the way to 31 is feasible, even in the level 20s.

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
  • Renown: 718
  • Infamy: 217
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Tomas
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 08:47:32 pm »
I think it is overcomplicated and goes too far from the current system.  It does have one massive good point though and that is that each area of the game is only effected by 1 attribute or skill instead of a mixture of attributes, skills and wpf.

Personally I would favour the following rework..

1) Keep strength and Agility as the attributes.  Strength effects melee/ranged damage (including xbows), Agility effects run speed and base wpf (0-90) for all classes.

2) Rework skills removing PD, PS, Athletics and PT.  Instead have Iron Flesh, Shield, Riding and one skill for each of the weapon classes.  Iron Flesh, Shield and Riding are unchanged but the weapon skills add wpf (0-90) to their given classes and in the case of the ranged weapons they unlock their use.

Skills and Attributes should not be convert-able and skill points should be acquired fast enough to max out 2 full skill trees at level 30 (there should be maximums for each skill).

3) No more individual wpf to use

The result means
- all classes use the primary attributes to trade off between damage and wpf (accuracy/speed).
- all players have basic abilities to melee
- the skills then provide secondary stats to either enhance melee through survivability/wpf or allow use of a second class in either ranged or cav.  This second class comes at the cost of either survivability or melee wpf though whilst Ranged Cav have to sacrifice both survivability and melee wpf as they need 2 secondary classes to work.
- finally this could actually achieve class balance on servers through the use of class limits since if all the ranged/cav slots are taken in a team a char will not be gimped by being forced to go on foot.

Offline Riptyde

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 05:12:56 am »
It does have one massive good point though and that is that each area of the game is only effected by 1 attribute or skill instead of a mixture of attributes, skills and wpf.

Basically my point. It's just my opinion that there are limitations within the game that seem unrealistic to me. Even hybriding seems just a tad too limiting imo.
~sig space for sale~

Offline Riptyde

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 05:20:42 am »
Why would any of this be necessary?

I never said this was necessary, this is under the Suggestions forum...hence it's just a ->Suggestion<-

But these changes would also make combat even more complex to balance.

No, not really.

I believe there is a subforum for this reasoning.

Thanks for the link, though that's just a small part of what I was talking about.

The game shouldn't be such a grind to you that you feel obligated to level to 31 with an unfun playstyle.  If it is, perhaps re-evaluate why you play this game.

I didn't really said anything about the game being a grind... or that I play with an play-style that I do not find fun. My point was merely that it can take some time to get 31 and in that time there are times when you want to do something different but don't really want to because of the penalty you'll have to take, especially when your goal is 31..

And as far as I can tell, these changes would limit your character far more than the current stat options, where hybriding on the way to 31 is feasible, even in the level 20s.

Thanks for the feedback and your opinion, that's all I was looking for.
~sig space for sale~