Author Topic: Efficacy decrease with injury  (Read 312 times)

Offline Commodore_Axephante

• Earl
  • Renown: 439
  • Infamy: 38
  • Jumping with my overheads since '04
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Reidi_the_Unfettered
Efficacy decrease with injury
« on: January 30, 2013, 10:43:33 pm »
Has anyone ever suggested this before? Some sort of straight equation, like, -1% attack speed/run speed/damage per HP damage you receive. It would change the game drastically, which I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't care for, but it would clear up a lot of the debates about stagger and stuff - none of those secondary weapon effects would be needed, as this one mechanic would account for it all.

Simply getting damaged would make you, for the remainder of that round (in battle, or life in siege), less effective. It's more realistic than the current model where you aren't hindered until you're dead, it further rewards blocking skills, allows two equal players to wear each other down (avoiding never-ending block-trading), and makes armor even more valuable (again, like in real life).

Just a thought. It would surely make the game more frustrating (for those who find games frustrating), but it could also lead to some epic last-stand moments when you're clinging on to life by a thread, and still manage to fight your way free.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Efficacy decrease with injury
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 10:47:39 pm »
I don't like things that make the game more based around numbers than individual skill, but at the same time this would nerf playstyles that revolve around tanking hits, which is good.

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 10:51:52 pm »
I don't like things that make the game more based around numbers than individual skill, but at the same time this would nerf playstyles that revolve around tanking hits, which is good.

Hmm... I think this would promote individual skill. Those who could manage not to get hurt would remain viable longer. There would be real "heros".

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 10:52:23 pm »
i did :D but for some reason everybody hated the idea :P

edit: i just think it could be awesome to dance around that strength whore with your agibuild, teasing him and wounding him while he is trying to hit you. Its like dancing around a giant and hitting his feet so he cant walk anymore. At the end that str crutch would fall be so wounded that he is defenseless against  you and you can finish him with a final blow.

at the moment its like this: mauler tries to hit you, misses. You hit him, but he laughs at your damage. He tries to hit you and misses again.  You hit him and he laughs at the damage again. and than suddenly he has a lucky swing and manages to hit you while you are trying to dance around him. You are dead.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 10:55:51 pm by no_rules_just_play »

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 11:04:04 pm »
edit: i just think it could be awesome to dance around that strength whore with your agibuild, teasing him and wounding him while he is trying to hit you. Its like dancing around a giant and hitting his feet so he cant walk anymore. At the end that str crutch would fall be so wounded that he is defenseless against  you and you can finish him with a final blow.

You can all ready do that....

Anyways  the suggestion suck... the gameplay all ready feels terribly fuckin slow.....
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 11:07:44 pm »
+2
I can't think of any ways for this not to be extremely frustrating for people, especially when hit by an arrow from a blind spot. Instant crippling in a situation where not much could be done.

How about hitting the same location produces increased damage for that next hit? It should probably be more precise than body parts, but something like hitting the location near where the opponent was hit by an arrow or something. (can't really tell visually with melee swings on low settings, which is a problem).

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 11:12:23 pm »

How about hitting the same location produces increased damage for that next hit? It should probably be more precise than body parts, but something like hitting the location near where the opponent was hit by an arrow or something. (can't really tell visually with melee swings on low settings, which is a problem).

Hmm, that's interesting... I mean, the game already tracks where you were hit (at least, legs, torso/arms or head) so maybe penalties based on that? Attack speed/damage minus from torso hits, run speed from leg hits, etc.

I hear what you're saying about slowing gameplay being bad in general, Tzar.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 11:13:02 pm »
If it could be implemented im sure the devs would do it. They have a thing for slowing down the gameplay as much as possible.
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Penguin

• Duke
  • Renown: 670
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player
  • JesusChrist
    • View Profile
  • Faction: [A]rrows Incoming!
  • Game nicks: [Y]Retreat!
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 12:05:04 am »
I've shot many an archer when he is shooting from the right side (almost impossible to get a headshot and you end up hitting their arm or the outside of their thumb) and I have thought about how an archer could keep perfect accuracy with a bolt in his hand/arm but I realized it swings both ways, and this addition would only frustrate every player.
"As you gaze upon the cross, and long for conformity to him, be not weary or fearful because you cannot express in words what you seek. Ask him to plant the cross in your heart. Believe in him, the crucified and now living one, to dwell within you, and breathe his own mind there."

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 12:55:27 pm »
+1
This is not for c-rpg.  :)
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™