Author Topic: Strategus Map  (Read 1717 times)

Offline Sir_Winston_Churchill

• Knight
  • Renown: 71
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Frisian Freedom
  • Game nicks: MC_of_Frisia
Strategus Map
« on: December 11, 2012, 11:49:09 pm »
+12
How difficult would it be for the devs to change the map for strat? It would be interesting to play on a different map then Caladria, perhaps a map of medieval Europe or another fantasy world like Westeros. Though Caladria is very nice, it would be very interesting to see how a strat game over the entirety of Europe would play out and it could lead to much deeper role playing for factions. Just an idea, even though it's probably way too much work to ever implement (though the map design and city lay out could be borrowed from a mod like 1257).

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: Strategus Map
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 11:51:32 pm »
+1
Well considering the hard-on a lot of the devs seem to have for exterminating such terms like "Sarranid" and replacing them with "Arabian" and such, I'd be surprised if they were not more open to the idea since realism and all that boringness.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
  • Renown: 718
  • Infamy: 217
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Tomas
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 12:40:50 am »
Creating or finding the actual map is the hard part i think.  It needs to be suitable for the game and be without names or symbols.

After that there is the fairly simple but very time consuming job of creating the terrain overlay. 

Adding in fiefs is probably the easy bit, given how easily chadz deleted them from NA.  Just a matter of picking a spot for them and then recording that coordinate

Offline Knute

• Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 682
  • Infamy: 21
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 01:28:31 am »
Creating or finding the actual map is the hard part i think.  It needs to be suitable for the game and be without names or symbols.

It seems like a satellite image or geographic map of Europe would be a good starting point to sketch over.  They'd probably have to find a way to put in sea travel first though so there's a way to get to all the islands.

(click to show/hide)

I seem to remember this real world map suggestion coming up before but there were worries players would get weird and nationalistic about who owns what.

Offline Duster

• Marshall
  • Renown: 730
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mr_Pibb, Mellow_Yellowtf
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 01:31:38 am »
+1
Love this idea, but yeah Europe would end up wierd. Definetely would have to be a drafted new one or an existing fantasy one.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 06:49:03 am »
I think the nationalism over different territories would be one of the most fun parts as it would really enhance the role playing of the game. Though I definitely see how it could lead to some troubles, it is after all just a video game and even though I think people would want to own their own country/region, I don't think it would be that big of a problem and would actually enhance the experience.

For traveling on water, an interesting idea is used by the 1257 team. You travel on water the same as you do on land (only faster I think), but you have to go through a "bridge" onto the water. Then when you fight a battle at sea it takes place on a ship map where you fight on the decks.

If Europe wouldn't work though, Westeros from A Song of Ice and Fire as it's a very diverse land similar to Caladria and the books/show is great and it would be interesting to fight over that.

On a quasi-related note: is the mod open source or does chadz have all the source code locked up? I ask wondering if a non-dev could try and make a map so the devs would just have to implement it.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 07:00:58 am by Sir_Winston_Churchill »

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 08:32:57 am »
+2
I wouldn't be opposed to a new map for every new round. Would probably help with players sticking with the same territories over and over again.

However, I think a real map might not be best suited for the gameplay, and also the fiefs would have to be placed somewhat correctly (desert maps, etc)

Offline Vovka

• King
  • Renown: 1174
  • Infamy: 240
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Druzhina
  • Game nicks: Druzhina_Vovka
  • IRC nick: Vovka
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 08:46:08 am »
+8
What about dynamic fiefs locations? Any one may establish a new village, as well as any army can destroy it. To avoid fief concentration on the map edge add penalty to prosperity when fiefs placed too close to each other  :rolleyes:

Offline MURDERTRON

• King
  • Renown: 1337
  • Infamy: 428
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TRUMP / WEST 2020
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 08:47:57 am »
chadz, will you let us name fiefs?  MURDERTOWN 2012
▀█▀▒█▀█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒█▒█▀█▒▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█
▒█▒▒█▄█▒█▒█▒██▒██▒█▄█▒▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒█
▒█▒▒█▀▄▒█▄█▒█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒▄

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 10:31:25 am »
chadz, will you let us name fiefs?  MURDERTOWN 2012

And that is why we won't allow player-named fiefs, far too tasteless. Then again we have the banner system which has failed miserably to keep things tasteful, so who knows *shrugs*

What about dynamic fiefs locations? Any one may establish a new village, as well as any army can destroy it. To avoid fief concentration on the map edge add penalty to prosperity when fiefs placed too close to each other  :rolleyes:

If you want people to grief the enemy by spamming "prosperity sink" fiefs near the enemy (and of course have people cry about this on the forums), sure. Sounds like an interesting idea though.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 10:56:39 am »
+1
If you want people to grief the enemy by spamming "prosperity sink" fiefs near the enemy (and of course have people cry about this on the forums), sure. Sounds like an interesting idea though.
If properly implemented (as in, not as easy to screw around as you posted and implemented with a lot of other tweaks) it could actually be an interesting idea and colonizing enemy lands could be a viable and fun tactic.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Vovka

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 11:16:56 am »
+2

If it will be cost 100k in gold and 1-2d in time you do not want grief this way

Offline Vovka

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 11:20:35 am »
+2

Also every round randomly place on map "resources" just spot with bonus to nearest fiefs for troops recruting rate, prosperity, PP income etc it will randomize fiefs location even more

Offline Zaharist

• Count
  • Renown: 182
  • Infamy: 76
  • cRPG Player
  • Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 11:47:32 am »
+1
keep dreaming.

Strat5 formula:
s5=civ+TW+m&b+forum, where
civ=faction management (like Sid Meyer's)
TW=epic battles
m&b=community
forum=smth that will keep this mod alive
Igni et ferro

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 12:29:58 am »
keep dreaming.

Strat5 formula:
s5=civ+TW+m&b+forum, where
civ=faction management (like Sid Meyer's)
TW=epic battles
m&b=community
forum=smth that will keep this mod alive

Could you explain a little further? Are you saying that Strat5 will be a combination of good things from other games and therefore good or that it will just be a rehashed copy and not original enough?