Author Topic: Few noob questions  (Read 917 times)

Offline theiv

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Few noob questions
« on: December 03, 2012, 12:09:11 pm »
Hey all,

I have been trying to find out answers to following questions with no luck or just with wrong search terms.

1. If I equip a spear and shield, do I need to have 1h or polearm skill to use it?
2. Steel buckler shields: I can see that they give a lot body armor and are fast, but they are very small. So my question is that how are they supposed to be used? Are they effective the same way as other shields even though they are very small or is there some other point to use them?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
Re: Few noob questions
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 12:34:57 pm »
+3
1. Polearm wpf. You'll take both 1h and pole wpf anyway though, if you also equip a 1h sword which is often useful. If you go pole only, take pole wpf only. This thread will probably help you a lot: http://forum.meleegaming.com/guides/the-sword-and-spear-way-hoplites-guide/ .

2. They seem small. With low shield skill, they are also small. But while using such a shield, I would get a higher shield skill than normal and go high AGI build (aka 21+ agi). By more shield skill, the shield gets improved and "becomes bigger". If you go with shield skill 4 - 5 only, I would use any other normal shield though.
In the end it of course depends on you, what shield you prefer to use.
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 01:39:35 am »
+5
shield 'forcefield' at 13 shieldskill of kinngrims shield:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 09:08:06 am by no_rules_just_play »

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 12:38:04 pm »
+2
The steel Buckler or Vag shield takes a lot of non-shield breaker hits (low health high resistance). It is also very fast plus 1 slot. So if you bring the shield for melee rather than catching arrows it makes sense. The problem being due to its small size you need good leg armour. They have low weight so are good for solo hoplite.

Buckler will outlast many heavier and bigger shields unless an axe or morningstar hits it. Its low weight will make you move quicker but remember crush-through chance is based on the blocking items weight so avoid maulers.

Basically Buckler is the best melee shield but worst against specialty weapons and ranged. It isn't good against archers, axemen or PK help you maulers.

PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 09:19:17 pm »
+2
It's important to note that the "Body armour" stat on shields refers to its ability to take incoming hits, but not take hp damage. It's not giving you body armour, or anything.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 05:06:52 am »
It's important to note that the "Body armour" stat on shields refers to its ability to take incoming hits, but not take hp damage. It's not giving you body armour, or anything.
i tought it adds a little more body armour when on  your back tough. altough this makes you slow like hell

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 06:53:28 am »
i tought it adds a little more body armour when on  your back tough. altough this makes you slow like hell
It adds 10 + the shield resistance to your body armor versus projectiles that hit you in the back. I'm not sure if the projectile has to hit the shield model, or if the victim's shield skill affects the radius protected.

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 09:01:37 am »
It adds 10 + the shield resistance to your body armor versus projectiles that hit you in the back. I'm not sure if the projectile has to hit the shield model, or if the victim's shield skill affects the radius protected.
im pretty sure the model only, there is no forcefield when your shield is on your back