Author Topic: Updated: Are you wearing the correct gloves? [Min-Maxing]  (Read 3821 times)

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
Re: Are you wearing the correct gloves? [Min-Maxer Special]
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 05:25:38 pm »
That's true. If you're only concerned with raw weight then Heavy Gauntlets are the best option for any body armor over about 22 armor. If you're only concerned with effective weight, the best options are always Wisbies or lower. If you're only concerned with repair costs, it's also Wisbies or lower.

This only falls into play if you have maxed out WM and IF. I didn't do the math exactly, but isn't it better to tank a point in IF for WM to wear say Plate Mittens or Heavy Gauntlets over Wisbys, since the 3-5 additional armor is more then the 2 hp you get from 1 IF. (Again, not sure if 1 WM offsets the heavier gauntlets)

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 05:37:30 pm »
To add some serious feedback, the WPF decrease from effective armor weight does not concern me half as much as the movement speed decrease from raw armor weight. Which means that the +7 armor I get for +1.3 raw weight when comparing my heavy gauntlets to the mail mittens that were recommended to me, is way more important than the 5.2 effective weight increase this gives me.

Getting a +7 body armor increase by getting a higher tier body armor would amount to getting 6 more raw weight at my tier of armors, therefore my gloves are easily worth it even when ignoring the ultimate punch damage :P

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 05:53:11 pm »
The above posts explained pretty well why heavy gauntlets are the optimum choice for me. The differences in effective weight is pretty negligible.

Offline PhigNewtenz

• Knight
  • Renown: 74
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Literally A Clan
  • Game nicks: Literally_PhigNewtenz, Literally_Not_PhigNewtenz
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2012, 06:30:49 pm »
+4
For Teeth, san., and others making similar points, I quickly ran the analysis for raw weight, effective weight and gold cost. I don't know any formulas for punch damage, so I couldn't do anything with that. I'll edit this new into the OP when I have time. The most important part of any analysis is finding a way to sum it all up in one sexy plot. This is the best I could do:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Find the base (non-heirloomed) armor value for your armor type on the bottom. Follow the vertical line for that value up to the color curve that you're interested in (blue for raw weight, green for effective weight, red for gold cost). From where they intersect, follow the nearest horizontal line across to the left and wear that type of gloves, at whichever heirloom level you can afford.

(click to show/hide)

The four 'None's  are for comparing wearing no-gloves to wearing leather gloves of various heirloom levels. i.e. If you're trying to decide between bare hands and (+2) gloves, ignore all the 'None' lines except the 'None (+2)' line.

If raw weight (aka movement speed) is your ONLY concern, then wearing anything heavier than Padded Cloth for body armor justifies wearing Heavy Gauntlets.

This only falls into play if you have maxed out WM and IF. I didn't do the math exactly, but isn't it better to tank a point in IF for WM to wear say Plate Mittens or Heavy Gauntlets over Wisbys, since the 3-5 additional armor is more then the 2 hp you get from 1 IF. (Again, not sure if 1 WM offsets the heavier gauntlets)

Yeah, the thing I liked about my analysis was that it was clean and simple. When you consider changing your build as another variable, it gets much more complicated.

Just thinking about it quickly and not really running any numbers:
  • Going from Wisbys to Heavies adds 5.2 effective weight, which will cost you 5.2% of your WPF (assuming you're already over 10 effective weight). This is 6-8 WPF if you're in the 120-150 WPF range.
  • Adding one WM gives you about 8 WPF if you're in the same range, so that's close to a break even.
  • Dropping one IF will cost you roughly 3% of your HP (for an approximately 65 HP build)
  • To be worth it from a survival standpoint, the increase in armor (5) would have to decrease your incoming damage by more than 3% (yes, it gets more complicated when things like glances are taken into account). You could figure out if this is the case by playing with some of the damage calculators out there, but I bet it's true.
  • This would probably be a good solution for the proficiency/armor problem. There are other effects though. You'll probably move a little slower from the extra 0.7-1.3 weight, and you'll definitely lose more money from the expensive gloves. Probably close to 100k per gen. You will however get a lot more punch kills :D

Offline PhigNewtenz

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Updated: Are you wearing the correct gloves? [Min-Maxing]
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2012, 07:20:42 pm »
OP updated to include analysis for different classes and play-styles, as well as an easier-to-use, graphical format.

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • Renown: 454
  • Infamy: 367
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard, ex Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Mlekce, Sergius
  • IRC nick: Mlekce
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2012, 11:52:42 pm »
well dude seing deserter have a thee and pechores guy wearing plate all the time and spamming the shit out of ppl with 1h weapon and husakarl shield it seems to me like lighter gloves and weight and all that stuff doesn't matter at all.
I would rather sacrifice weight and little spead for durability. Lower weight is not use to me if i am dead in one or two hits.
Not to mention some other dudes who wear heavy gauntlets,black coat of plates,vaegir war mask,danish gs and mail boots and spam ppl.
They are faster then me in light armor.
Anyway nice effort +1.

Offline PhigNewtenz

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2012, 07:01:41 pm »
well dude seing deserter have a thee and pechores guy wearing plate all the time and spamming the shit out of ppl with 1h weapon and husakarl shield it seems to me like lighter gloves and weight and all that stuff doesn't matter at all.
I would rather sacrifice weight and little spead for durability. Lower weight is not use to me if i am dead in one or two hits.
Not to mention some other dudes who wear heavy gauntlets,black coat of plates,vaegir war mask,danish gs and mail boots and spam ppl.
They are faster then me in light armor.
Anyway nice effort +1.

Good point Mlekce. The analysis here doesn't necessarily mean that you should change to a different pair of gloves, thus giving you less armor. It just tells you what combination is the most efficient way of achieving that amount of armor. If the plot is telling you to wear a lighter pair of gloves, then you could likely wear lighter gloves and heavier armor, giving you the same armor stats, while taking less weight/gold penalties.

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • Renown: 454
  • Infamy: 367
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard, ex Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Mlekce, Sergius
  • IRC nick: Mlekce
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2012, 07:04:21 pm »
ah i see now what you are doing.

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2012, 11:59:49 am »
I cant wear anything but my Lordly gilded hourglass gauntlets.. they are just so sexy
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2012, 03:11:48 pm »
So basically any combination in the zone between the blue line and the red/green ones is a "good" one, closer to the red line if you like gold, closer to the blue one if you like low weight, but things under the red/green lines or above the blue one are not optimal, at least if we don't take anything not represented into account, such as leg/head armor rating or aesthetics.

Offline PhigNewtenz

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2012, 06:45:17 pm »
So basically any combination in the zone between the blue line and the red/green ones is a "good" one, closer to the red line if you like gold, closer to the blue one if you like low weight, but things under the red/green lines or above the blue one are not optimal, at least if we don't take anything not represented into account, such as leg/head armor rating or aesthetics.

Exactly. Very well said.

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2012, 12:34:36 pm »
im not and im not gonna care. :D

nice math though, good job, I bet there are people who care and find this helpfull. +1 :)
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™