Author Topic: Red Bull space Dive  (Read 2089 times)

Offline Artyem

• King
  • Renown: 1218
  • Infamy: 264
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • SODOM Shaman
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul / Raven / SODOMY
  • Game nicks: Artyem
Re: Red Bull space Dive
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2012, 02:51:15 am »
Tbh. I didn't give a shit about the jump, not like it will help us complete something.

It'll actually help design future space suits, it also set a new milestone in the sense that in the future we know that an astronaut supplied with a parachute can fall from the edge of earth's orbit to get back on land, in case of emergency, y'know.  Slim chance but it could still come in handy some day.

That's how it'll help us in terms of actual space travel, outside of that, this is one of the first space-oriented operations funded by a civilian corporation.  Which is actually the key to future space travel, it won't be governments funding these kinds of things, it'll be mostly civilian based sponsors (i.e the first manned trip to mars will probably have sponsors from some non-government based suppliers).  Imagine that, a shuttle in five years may have a coca-cola, red bull, nike and god forbid, apple logos printed on the side from sponsorship.

EDIT:  Actually, as far as I know there's already a civilian company planning to send men to mars with the thought that they'll establish base and wait there either till they die; or until we have the technology to bring them back.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sordida asinum latronibus sumus

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
Re: Red Bull space Dive
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2012, 01:30:18 pm »
+1
Imagine that, a shuttle in five years may have a coca-cola, red bull, nike and god forbid, apple logos printed on the side from sponsorship.

Now that's one shuttle I don't want to get into.  :)

EDIT:  Actually, as far as I know there's already a civilian company planning to send men to mars with the thought that they'll establish base and wait there either till they die; or until we have the technology to bring them back.

Yeah, also the US gave the shuttle program to some companies, it's going to continue but the government is out of the game.
Which is good, I suppose.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!