Author Topic: On being a Frenchie in NA  (Read 3851 times)

Offline Protemus

• Earl
  • Renown: 346
  • Infamy: 270
  • cRPG Player
  • EZ
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan EZ kills
  • Game nicks: niluK_the_Annoying aka EZ
Re: On being a Frenchie in NA
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2012, 03:54:59 pm »
More like Oberyn - Smoothrich.

I'm just laughing at Oberyn acting like a retard. Actually pretty funny.

I've read your comment,and looked at your avatar

no further tips on what happend next...

(click to show/hide)
Quote from: Melee Gaming
Protemus, You have received a warning for non-relevant posts in ban section also for personal attacks with disgusting insults on the forums. Chill out and enjoy the game. Regards, cRPG Team

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2012, 03:56:57 pm »
+1

The term nationality itself is only about 300 years old btw... 

That is absolutely false.

Saying nationalism is 300 years old is outright ignorant.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nationality
Nationality - 1691

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nationalism
Nationalism - 1844

If you choose to define some random unrelated historical facts as "nationalism", there is no way me, or anyone else can stop you.

I could go on and on for days on the subject, but yeah. Your views are very very simplistic.

Please don't! Enough of this horror... If I had to argument on every sentence you wrote, it would give me a brain cancer.

----------------

I keep mostly to funny pictures and spam section on this forum, as having a meaningful conversation here is impossible :) Only bothered to write in this thread, because i am at work and have nothing else to do at the moment.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
  Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2012, 03:58:15 pm »
+2
I do not like this Armpit ^ , instead of posting funny pics as always this thread made him post ONLY TEXT.

This thread really brings out the worst in people.
 :cry:

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2012, 04:01:31 pm »
Nationalism is just the latest in a long line of tribal forms of identification, is the point. Again, people who think it will "dissapear" are naive. Especially because the only places where that is even slightly accurate is in developped western countries. Go tell that to a Chinese or Korean or Japanese or Egyptian or Algerian or literally any other country in the world or to the ethnic minorities that comprise those countries that their forms of tribal self-identification are dissapearing and don't mean anything and they will laugh in your face. It may form into different forms of identification over time, but it's pretty much an integral part of humans interacting with each other.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2012, 04:04:22 pm »
It should and will disappear. EU is a good working example for once ( EU got a Nobels Peace prize this year ). Countries/tribes that were fighting over Europe for thousands of years, finally come to see each other as partners, and war between Germany, UK and France is highly unlikely these days.
Germany used to be divided in multiple tiny countries until Bismark, just as most major countries in Europe used to be before. Just look at this mess:

The term nationality itself is only about 300 years old btw...

All-in-all nothing good comes from nationalism imo, ever. To be strongly proud of once geographic origin, is for someone who has nothing else to be proud of as a person.

EU got the nobel peace prize at the most retarded time. Why now? 30 years ago would have made more sense and it's been criticised very heavily for receiving it at a time when generally everyone is fucked off at the EU for the interfering in various countries things. They do some good things, but at the moment not enough to warrant that. And EU will never ever become a solid way of managing things. The only reason people haven't gone to war over getting hacked off at each other is the threat of nuclear war and the destructive power of modern weapons more than anything, which is why most modern wars are waged on people who don't have that kind of power. Fighting between European nations in the modern age would be beyond anything the world has ever seen and no one in their right minds wants that.

Nation states as we know them haven't existed for particularly long that's true. But nationalism is simply an extension of tribalism. It's just extended from villages fighting another, to city states/towns/regions fighting one another, to countries fighting another. It's all the same principle.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2012, 04:09:08 pm »
+2
Incidentally I find it ironic you're using the EU as a symbol of nationalities fading and geography/culture not meaning anything when it is in fact a geographic/cultural political and trade union.

Offline Arathian

• Duke
  • Renown: 650
  • Infamy: 175
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Pick it up you white ass cracka
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Frisians
  • Game nicks: Arathian, schizophrenic_axe_murderer
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2012, 04:11:07 pm »
If you choose to define some random unrelated historical facts as "nationalism", there is no way me, or anyone else can stop you.

na·tion·al·ism noun \ˈnash-nə-ˌli-zəm, ˈna-shə-nə-ˌli-zəm\

Definition of NATIONALISM

: loyalty and devotion to a nation; especially : a sense of national consciousness exalting one nation above all others and placing primary emphasis on promotion of its culture and interests as opposed to those of other nations or supranational groups

Tell me in what way, shape or form does the Venetians, the Romans or the Chinese believing their nation is above all others and promoting their culture and interests is NOT nationalism.

I dare you.

edit: also saying the word didn't exist thus the concept itself didn't exist is as wrong as saying that the law of gravity wasn't written down until the 16th century so we didn't have gravity until the 16th century.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2012, 04:17:53 pm »
All-in-all nothing good comes from nationalism imo, ever. To be strongly proud of once geographic origin, is for someone who has nothing else to be proud of as a person.

O and this is a very daft statement. We all contribute to our countries (if we live and work in them). Whether it's through taxes, voting for the next government, or taking a stronger role in it yourself. In democracy we all contribute (simplifying for sake of argument). I pride myself on being part of a country that has achieved great things past and present, and I pride myself on my contribution as a citizen of that nation. Without the people who lived there, most great things wouldn't be achieved and so it's right to be proud of the nation you live when we all contribute.

Offline Aderyn

• Earl
  • Renown: 365
  • Infamy: 243
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Kalmar Union
  • Game nicks: Aderyn
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2012, 04:24:24 pm »
+2
Can't spell manslaughter without laughter.

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2012, 04:29:56 pm »
+1
nothing good comes from nationalism. i mean going to the moon is a pretty crappy thing to do.
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Bertha_TheFat

• Knight
  • Renown: 35
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Occitan
  • Game nicks: Hector_le_Malotru
  • IRC nick: Hector
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2012, 04:59:35 pm »
+1
So many posts here I wanted to +1. Too bad I have no idea how to do this! hahah

But, seeing as how this is going waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off topic, can we just lock this thread and agree that ridiculously heinous comments based on someone's nationality (or what you believe it is), language or colour should have no place in-game whatsoever? Regardless of how ridiculous liberals  think nationalism might be, some people do get offended by certain comments (me first, but I have to admit I'm especially sensitive to language issues, seeing as languages make up a huge chunk of my professional life).

Personally, I don't see the difference between calling someone a friend or a jap (which might be a short for Japanese, but is still derogatory in it's usage. It isn't a binary distinction).

Plz close the topic kthx
Hector le malotru
Faut pas qu'y m'colle au cul
Moult y tue, y'occit prou
Hostie qu'j'ai mal au trou

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile