Author Topic: Jagged Alliance: Back in action/crossfire  (Read 2880 times)

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
Jagged Alliance: Back in action/crossfire
« on: August 29, 2012, 08:42:23 am »
Anybody played this? I Yarred! these games from you know where. And I keep getting my ass kicked. Awesome games...but wtf, its just impossibru to win at it.

The orderingshipments for your mercs just take too long to arrive, especially in crossfire. I had mercs in bad need of supplies so I needed to just wait 1 day. And I basically lost 3 locations I worked for 1 realtime hour in just 5 gamehours and I couldnt send my badly equiped mercs to defend them. Can someone give meh some tips?

Offline Spook Island

• Shitposter
  • Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 165
  • Infamy: 183
  • cRPG Player
  • Truth Teller
    • View Profile
Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in action/crossfire
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 10:21:07 pm »
They destroyed the franchise.  Jagged alliance 2 is a legendary game.  This is just... crap.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tibe

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 07:05:41 am »
Arent you certain, you just hate it, due to it not standing out to the previous game of this franchise? I never played the previous Jagged Alliances and these ones arent really that bad. I mean they kinda suck, but there is genius behind it.

Turnbased combat is sorta dead. No matter for what franchise you make it, no matter how well you think it out, people will never love them like they used to. Think about it. Xcom dead, Heroes dead (personal grief over that one), Jagged Alliance dead etc. Cant blame em for making it real time. :?

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 01:49:15 pm »
+1
i do not mind the real time combat system, but what i do are the dumped down game mechanics and the lots of missing features in comparison with the original version, especially the cutscenes when Elliot got smacked again.

Offline Spook Island

• Shitposter
  • Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 165
  • Infamy: 183
  • cRPG Player
  • Truth Teller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 01:21:04 am »
Arent you certain, you just hate it, due to it not standing out to the previous game of this franchise? I never played the previous Jagged Alliances and these ones arent really that bad. I mean they kinda suck, but there is genius behind it.

Turnbased combat is sorta dead. No matter for what franchise you make it, no matter how well you think it out, people will never love them like they used to. Think about it. Xcom dead, Heroes dead (personal grief over that one), Jagged Alliance dead etc. Cant blame em for making it real time. :?

X-com has a remake coming out in a month (X-com enemy unknown).  Made by the same company who did Civ 5 (Firaxis). The only worries I have about it are the AI being a little weak.  Other than that, the game looks outstanding.

As for JA 3, I realize they were trying to update the format but they failed big time.  If they were smart, they would have listened to all the die hard fans on the bear pit forum who have been salivating over the prospect of a third jagged alliance for over a decade.
I had been following the progress of JA 3 for like 6 years; delay after delay after delay.  What they served to me was a steaming pile of garbage.  I must have played through and beaten Jagged Alliance 2 around 6 times total.  I don't think I've ever felt the level of betrayal to a franchise than what I saw in Jagged Alliance 3. 
That's basically how all the die hard fans felt about it that I've seen personally.

Offline Latvian

• King
  • Renown: 1494
  • Infamy: 379
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • с̴͎͖͈͟͠ͅу̷̸̻̣͇͚̫͎͇̩̟̖̪͇̯к̀́͠͞҉͎͚͎а̰̤͕̱͔̬͖̟̺͍͎́͞ ̸͝
    • View Profile
  • Faction: one and only DESERTERS
  • Game nicks: u know its me when you see me
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 07:07:38 am »
Anybody played this? I Yarred! these games from you know where. And I keep getting my ass kicked. Awesome games...but wtf, its just impossibru to win at it.

The orderingshipments for your mercs just take too long to arrive, especially in crossfire. I had mercs in bad need of supplies so I needed to just wait 1 day. And I basically lost 3 locations I worked for 1 realtime hour in just 5 gamehours and I couldnt send my badly equiped mercs to defend them. Can someone give meh some tips?
play crpg instead
people are like potatoes, they come in different shapes and sizes and they all are beautifull
masturbating while looking in a mirror isnt wrong unless its the rear view mirror and you are driving a school buss.

it doesnt matter if you are happiest person or an unfortunate weeper, a powerfull beast or a terrifying creature. we are all equal, in the eyes of the reaper.

Offline Tibe

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 01:52:35 pm »
play crpg instead

Gets boring sometimes. I kinda liked Jagged Alliance  Crossfire. The idea of having some merccompany, that has a mission to free some crappy country with mercs that all have different personalities, skills etc and are levelable is kinda cool. The liberation and freeroam(kinda) is also cool. But the game is overall still garbage. I have never played JA 2 or others and probably wont, cause im kinda done with turnbased combat.

I dont like this game, cause its too hard. And I dont mean in combat perspective. I mean its hard in those places, it shouldnt be and the game just turns annoying. Like the fact all weapons are made from dirt and break after 2 shots, almost nowere to sell all your loot, shipments with new weapons and ammo take too long and it takes even longer for them to reach your mercs once youve gotten quite far in the game. Also the enemy had a fucking TANK in Crossfire. Bullshit! All of this shows the game just isnt playerfriendly. But still, it has something I really like.

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 06:32:32 pm »
do not try to loot the whole sectors. arm the militias with the spare guns and take only that what you really need.

for the suppy issue. there are two ways (for me at least)
since the enemies level dependent on your progess, use their tier of weapons and they will drop enough ammo most of the time.
or you could standardise your equipment so you will not run low on a specific kind of bullets.

later i have more than one group in the field, there are a few supply runners and the others holt the line.
and at last, single fire is your friend. use autofire only when the enemy is really, really close.

since you have not tried ja2 yet, i would give it a try. yes it is turn based, but it is quite similar to the "real time system", because you have to stop that every few seconds to give new commands.
to be more specific, in ja2 you have two modes. a real time mode, when you have no contact to the enemy (great to explore the sector and to place your mercs) and the turn based combat rounds, when the enemy is spotted (or the have spotted you).
in addition you can tinker some stuff out of the junk you find, you can create your own merc, you have a way more advanced merc managment, it is abit easier to defend your turf,you have a chopper and two cars (if you find the pilot and the vehicles) to travel faster around the map and npc react on who and how speaks to them.
on the other hand there are tanks as well, and in the final stages a lot of rocket rifels and a giant bug queen (in the sci fi mode)

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 05:02:53 pm »
poor eliot QQ

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline Araxiel

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 77
  • ((===||:::::::::::::::>
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vincent_Ruth
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 04:43:28 am »
Played Back in Action for a while. I got bored of stupid combat system. There is no way to flank enemies by sneaking. As soon as one of your squad member gets in to combat all the enemies know where your guys are hiding and waiting for them to show their heads. Not much fun when it turns in to a regular gun fight.
Well I roleplayed gay for long time to get Asca attention as harmless one but it didnt help. I only attracted Tueten, Cicero and Grey Order...