Author Topic: My suggestion for the scoring system  (Read 284 times)

Offline Akynos

• Earl
  • Renown: 369
  • Infamy: 157
  • cRPG Player
  • Is now an agiwhore :*(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Skono, Rollmops
My suggestion for the scoring system
« on: August 27, 2012, 01:59:48 pm »
+1
Hello crpg community,

I cannot name one person who wasn't delighted at the new scoring system. Why would anyone be? Based on damage output, it finally
gives a place among the top scoreboard to those who deal lots of damage but who do not deal the final blow. A lot of people praised
it for finally giving a fair representation of a player's usefulness for his team.
However, many of you have seen the flaws of this system : It is still young, and therefore not totally balanced. I also have this feeling,
which is why I suggest a few things that might be implemented in order to uupgrade this scoring system.

So, I come to think '' This scoring system is based upon the following principle : rewarding players for their efforts in fighting skills and teamwork.''

So, what are factors are we talking about when we think 'fighting skills' and 'teamwork' ?

-Attacking (melee)
-Attacking (ranged)
-Defending
-kicking
-Distracting
-Stunning
-Ganking

Can't think of more out of my mind.

Attacking (melee): We have already covered that factor by allocating points for damage.A rather fair system.
The only thing that would need to be changed is to add a bonus for kills : A dead man can't kill, a guy with 1 HP can:
Therefore, his death should be worth more than the score allocated for the damage that kills him.

Damage dealt to horses is still too high for what it is: Speed bonus for damage against an often armorless oponent.
Other topics explain this better than I do.

Attacking (ranged):
Despite current problems with ranged, nothing to say about the score system. It's fair.

Defending:

I will emphasize on this point because I feel defense is a very important part of player skill, and yet is not taken into account
by the scoring system.
There are people with my build (str-orientated) who are pretty much newbies and because they spammed/were lucky/slashed peasants/faced other newbies, they had a better score than a valorous archer who bravely defended himself against a top-notch
2 hander and after many blocks and feints, fell to his knees.

That should not happen.

How to solve that problem then?

Well,I thought that points could be given for successful blocks. Very few points though, which means that
the points for damage/kills would have to be substancially increased.For example:

Sucessful block: 1 pt
Taking out half HP off a standard 2 hander : 15 pts

The issue with this is that it can be very easely exploited:
*1-Get two friends
2-each in different team
3-meet up where no one sees
4-swing and block indefinately
5-profit.
Or a guy may just backpeddle and block forever....

This is open to discussion.

Kicking
The result of kicking lies in the following slash. 'Nuff said.

Distracting
This was the reason for implementing proximity bonus. Unfortunately, it is easely exploitable and does not require active
participation from a team member to get points.
I cannot see any way to reward players for their distracting abilities.So many different situations. I suggest the removal
of the proximity bonus if the community prefers to avoid abuse, or keep it if it wants to reward every distracting opportunity.Your choice.

Stunning
Stunning or bumping is underrated.So many times have I been able to slash a guy's face thanks to a well-timed arrow, slash or cav bump.
I want to reward those guys for their intelligence. I say give them a bonus.
= Extra points for first hit if second hit lands less than *insert milliseconds there* later.

Ganking
To gank or to be ganked, that is the question.

Ganking someone does not take much skill. Actually, in situations such as 4 vs 1, joining in is pretty stupid. No bonus there.

However, having more than one person on his back is suicide haem, valorous. Maybe giving extra points for every hit
and block for the defendant for being able to fight multiple oponents at a time, and so distracting them from the rest of the team.
Of course, a proximity check would be needed to make sure this bonus does not happen if a teammate is close.

Anyway, all of this is pure brain juice out of gameplay experience, I don't expect it all to be coherent.
Please tell me what you think of it, and admins, think about it ;)

Thank you for your attention !
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Kudos to Kulin_Ban for the video

Offline Mogh

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Oso, Manannan, Monkeybutt
Re: My suggestion for the scoring system
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 10:34:57 pm »