Author Topic: Have players start at level 15  (Read 3111 times)

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
Re: Have players start at level 15
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2011, 08:50:48 pm »
Sorry but this is so whiney, hard for a newcomer? Ever played prepatch? Now you're level 15 in 2 hours max.

I started a few months before the patch.  It was worse then, yes, but it's still painful for newcomers and is generally slow going for low gen players. 

might be stating the obvious, but at Level 1 you can still use a polearm which is capable of stopping horses. you don't NEED to be level 15 to be helpful.

I'm not making an argument from absolutes here.  It's about preferences, and my preference is to not face hours of grinding against 1-hits by archers who target peasants, knights who can run faster in full plate than low-level peasants, and horses that kill with only moderate bumps - it's just not fun for me.  I find it odd that people find such satisfaction in playing as a low level character amongst tenth gen titans.  If people want to play as a low level character they're able to even with the level 15 scheme implemented.  Just don't place your stat points and there, you're set for life as a peasant.  But if people would want the level fifteen idea implemented, in any way at all, it's up to the developers to pick which generations it would apply to.  I'd like it implemented even if it's only for gen1.  That way I can make alts with all the other weapons and builds I'd like to use but I don't have to spend so much time grinding them to par.  It may even encourage more people to play as archers since they won't get turned off by the impotence of early levels.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 08:52:05 pm by Diomedes »

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2011, 09:01:16 pm »
I play cRPG for a persistent online character that develops to suite my style of play, not to get killed repeatedly for a few hours by players who's armour I can't even dent.  At least at level fifteen one can use a pike against horsemen and to assist teammates in melee.

Well, you may wish anything from a game, but that's not what I would like. The peasant stade is important too. Frustration is one of the base for dreams and the pleasure of making them true... Wise words no ? :o

And furthermore, I personally like playing peasant with both crappy gear and stats. Any kill below level 5 appears as epic. Prepatch the community was better IMO, since the beginning was way harder and the grind was ugly enough to repel many immature people. And another important thing to notice is that to make a good build and behave correctly in general in cRPG, you have to take some time and learn some things. Weapons and stats mechanics, the average ratio of classes in the population, average skills of players, what classes are good for and good against what other classes, who are the top and noob players... Such things take time and the peasant is about the only one so negligible in the battle he can take time to watch what's going on.

Offline Chasab

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2011, 10:16:15 pm »
I started a few months before the patch.  It was worse then, yes, but it's still painful for newcomers and is generally slow going for low gen players. 

I'm not making an argument from absolutes here.  It's about preferences, and my preference is to not face hours of grinding against 1-hits by archers who target peasants, knights who can run faster in full plate than low-level peasants, and horses that kill with only moderate bumps - it's just not fun for me.  I find it odd that people find such satisfaction in playing as a low level character amongst tenth gen titans.  If people want to play as a low level character they're able to even with the level 15 scheme implemented.  Just don't place your stat points and there, you're set for life as a peasant.  But if people would want the level fifteen idea implemented, in any way at all, it's up to the developers to pick which generations it would apply to.  I'd like it implemented even if it's only for gen1.  That way I can make alts with all the other weapons and builds I'd like to use but I don't have to spend so much time grinding them to par.  It may even encourage more people to play as archers since they won't get turned off by the impotence of early levels.

really hours?
REALLY?

at level 1 you can buy an equip a shield, at level 1 with a tourny shield you can block 2 arrows.

step1.) buy a shield and spear
Step2.) equip both and 2 extra shields
step3.) guard players against backdoor cav.

Bam instantly helping the team at level 1. Before the patch i would have said good idea, exp and gold was hard to come by, now? no way. if you play for an hour and never get above a 1x your going to hit level what? 8? 9? Stop making alts and you wont have to deal with it over and over. the LAST thing we need is more ranged people.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2011, 10:18:45 pm »
I fondly recall picking up a scythe and ninjering an archer in my first round of crpg.

Getting through the low levels seems easier then pre patch, and I've long maintained it is good to try and be useful to the team while in effect being useless.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2011, 10:49:18 pm »
at level 1 you can buy an equip a shield, at level 1 with a tourny shield you can block 2 arrows.

I'm well aware that one can fight and sometimes help one's team at lower levels.  I'm not contesting this, nor asking for patronizing suggestions on how one could.  The point I'm arguing, opposing most other people in this thread, is that it's more fun and interesting to play as a level 15+ than a level 1-15.  The onus isn't on me to show why levels 1-15 have no purpose or that they are without any value whatsoever, but why the time spent grinding through them is better spent as a level 15+.  I made my case in the first post:
b) After retiring, it's really quite painful to start again as a zero fighting against heroes.  Though this phase passes relatively fast, it's still a considerable amount of time for low-gen players.

c) Most players, when level 1-15, aren't that helpful to their team.  It's better to start from a place where everyone can at least stumble a high-level foe.

Before the patch i would have said good idea, exp and gold was hard to come by, now? no way. if you play for an hour and never get above a 1x your going to hit level what? 8? 9? Stop making alts and you wont have to deal with it over and over. the LAST thing we need is more ranged people.

I don't make alts because they're not fun to level up.  If they started at level 15 I wouldn't be jumping out of a high-level 1h hotseat and into a level 1 character using a style I'm unfamiliar with.  If they started at level 15 I'd get a better sense of what it's actually like to play as an X in cRPG.

Also, if you're going to make unsubstantiated claims about what should and shouldn't be in cRPG, don't use it as a rebuttal.  It's perfectly good that you don't want more ranged players but it's not fair to me that you respond without substantiating your view.  I made my claim about archers because it's an importance consequence to be considered.  I didn't make any claims about whether it was a good or bad thing, so I didn't comment any further then.  As a matter of fact, I think it would be a good thing, since archers are comparatively underrepresented and some people who may enjoy the build get turned off because it's so hard early on.  You, meanwhile, responded with reactionary sarcasm.

NOTE:  In that scenario you'd reach about level five.

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2011, 04:27:01 am »
To be honest, I did find levels1-15 interesting.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2011, 04:36:30 am »
+1, but For first gens only
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 04:41:31 am by Havoco »
Pock gobblers

Offline Whalen207

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • If I see that fucking pickle one more time...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: [Guard_Whalen207 [Guard_Whale_Tosser [Guard_Whale_Tank [Guard_Whale_ArrowSpam
  • IRC nick: Whalen
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2011, 04:39:33 am »
1st gen main should be the only one to start @ Lv.15
But... suggestions? Who cares about suggestions? chadz never implements anything we suggest. In fact, chadz doesn't really implement anything. He's chadz. Gosh, you expect him to care. Rofl.
Arma 2, Mount and Blade, Garry's Mod and Coloholics Roleplayer, Coder, Mapmaker and Moderator.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login