Author Topic: spear, how to impale things & heirlooms  (Read 1541 times)

Offline Guyvers

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: moar xp
  • Game nicks: Guyvers
spear, how to impale things & heirlooms
« on: April 06, 2011, 11:32:41 pm »
hi everyone, just started to play warband on multyplayer (always played on single... shame on me!  :lol: ) and i just got stunned by cRPG!  :mrgreen:
well... after the love part, here comes the cyclic one!

in these 3 days i played, i have lurked/searched the forum for a viable build and i still cant decide over 2h nodachi/1h sword+shield/polearm
actually im using a swiss halberd with good results: after failing many times on 1vs1 and going like rambo, now im stabbing ppl while engaged by my mates. :D Am i doing it wrong? or this is the correct use of the polearm? suggestion to not get rammed by shield user? actually i enjoy the siege mode over the normal battles, so i barely use my horse.
after the premise, what should i heirloom? my main armor its a "Light Mail and Plate" should i heirloom it, or wait for another good armor? the swiss halberd is good, or i should move to a less/more powerfull polearm? and furthermore why should i change it/them?

sorry for the bad english (probably worth a grammar chocolate chip cookie or 2) and thanks for the help. :D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 11:34:15 pm by Guyvers »

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
Re: spear, how to impale things & heirlooms
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 11:39:44 pm »
I'm kind of new myself, but from what I hear, you should always heirloom your weapon first.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 11:59:12 pm »
Well, as a polearm enthusiast, I can answer you a few things.

First, the Swiss Halberd is an awesome weapon, if you know it's limits. You use it wisely, since it's a supportive type polearm, it's not the best choice to go 1v1 on people, but it's not impossible.
This weapon has it's own limits, obviously, it has only two attacks, the stab, and an overhead strike.
Are you sure you want to go this way? If yes, you have my respect.

Against shielders:
Common shielders will come to you with those big ass round shields (Huscarl), or other stuff, and it'll be hard to break them, or to keep them at bay. But if you use the Swiss, you can always use your length advantage against them, just learn it, how far is the optimal range, to hit someone with an overhead, it will help you.
So, what you have to do is simple, but not simple: Try to keep them away, why you sneak in overhead strikes.
This way you deal great damage to shields, since the Swiss Halberd has a bonus against shields, it's bad-ass.

Trouble will start, when they get close. You have to do fast turning manouvers while doing an overhead attack.
If you manage to do it, it can land a hit on their unprotected backs!

Your stab attack is a bit harder to use up close, you have to learn the close-range (lolstab) technique, it's not that hard.
First, Look down with your weapon while prepared to stab. And while releasing it, lead it to your target! This combined with good footwork, will surprise your enemy!

Always heirloom weapons first.
Consider upkeep prices, can you pay for all your stuff, especially Light M&P? I use the normal M&P (blue one), and it's a pain in the ass when it breaks.

If you like your looks, and are happy with your weapon, why change it? Master it!

PS: Feinting skills and good blocking are necessary. Especially for this type of weapon. You can't just spam away, it's forcing you to play in a block-counterattack style. Learn on dueling servers, both Native, and cRPG ones to master these, if you can't pull them off.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 12:20:39 am by Christo »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Guyvers

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 01:07:29 am »
oh.. good advices!
another question, what controls you use for block and swing? actually im using both mouse direction controlled.

Offline Laufknoten

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • BOAT OF ANGER FLOATING ON THE SEA OF TEARS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Felipe
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 01:36:06 am »
First, the Swiss Halberd is an awesome weapon, if you know it's limits. You use it wisely, since it's a supportive type polearm, it's not the best choice to go 1v1 on people, but it's not impossible.
This weapon has it's own limits, obviously, it has only two attacks, the stab, and an overhead strike.
Many people underestimate "2-direction-polearms". If you use them the right way they can be good duelweapons, but like you wrote, you have to feint a lot and you need a good footwork...

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 01:40:30 am »
Try the english bill also and the pike.

Your currently playing as Polearm support which is on of the most under appreciated classes in the game. Watch the flanks of your team and try and surprise enemies by switching targets.

If u want to switch to different form of pole fighting get yourself a LHSM or LHB they ate effective and cheap.
Turtles

Offline Guyvers

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 02:51:48 am »
its very fun the swiss halbred, but also some shield for lolstab would be fine; i will going with this build of phazey for my second gen:
(click to show/hide)
what head+hand you suggest? actually im using shitty items for these slots.  :rolleyes:

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 07:47:00 am »
Heirloom the weapon you like playing with; i'd probably suggest a LHB if you go polearm, as it is good and fast.

If you go 1h/shield, heirloom side sword, if you go 2H, just figure something out :D (they are all good)

If you feel comfortable with manual blocking, i'd say that polearm or 2H is a good idea, if you're not good at blocking, but still want to win 1 vs 1, then go with 1h/shield

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 02:34:38 pm »
If you still use Light Mail and plate, I suppose you like the colour Red.

Try the Great Helm, and Iron Greaves:

Just a simple test.
Imo it looks awesome, if you use this armour.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 04:43:17 pm »
For polearms, the LHB is probably the easiest way to go. Fast and long, exactly what you want in most cases. But if you want to develop things a bit, try the 2-attacks polearms (some may say "the real polearms"), mainly the pike, the english bill, the swiss halberd, the awlpike and the heavy lance. Those require truer skills and a better player will usually do better with those than the more classic and easy to use 4-attacks weapons. It's certainly not a good idea to start learning the game with those more subtle weapons.