Author Topic: Increasing the depth of melee  (Read 1616 times)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Increasing the depth of melee
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 12:39:59 pm »
a slight bump

Offline Spook Island

• Shitposter
  • Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 165
  • Infamy: 183
  • cRPG Player
  • Truth Teller
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 03:17:11 pm »
The developers just completely destroyed melee combat by removing turn speed for vertical attacking.  Do you really ever think they'd even attempt to make this game more complex for ground combat?
They are far too busy dumbing the game down to appeal to casual players so they can feel like they're actually improving the game; when in fact, all they are really doing is removing everything that made the game worth playing in the first place.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 03:47:59 pm »
The developers just completely destroyed melee combat by removing turn speed for vertical attacking.  Do you really ever think they'd even attempt to make this game more complex for ground combat?
They are far too busy dumbing the game down to appeal to casual players so they can feel like they're actually improving the game; when in fact, all they are really doing is removing everything that made the game worth playing in the first place.

Removing turn speed for vertical attacking makes fighting harder(and more realistic), so not more appealing to casual players at all. Such a slight change was enought to get dedicated meleers out of their comfort zone, seeing as melee is not used to being nerfed, so they whine. Welcome to crpg.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 09:15:00 pm »
While Vibe's idea is not bad in general, I fear the effect won't be
It might even add to depth that you'll use different stances versus different builds and could get pretty complicated :)

rather the opposite, the different builds will feel even more the same. I think people will rather tend to neutralize their weaknesses instead of further improving the advantages they already have.

With such a change you would make the extreme builds even more extreme, but on the other hand, people wouldn't have great weaknesses any more.

The idea to have the possibility to take a wide swing before smashing someone's skull from behind seems appealing to me, but it works against the system of the "STR-AGI-competition" and iteam requirements/stats.

Single builds being more flexible means more allrounders and less dependancy on teammates, which can't contribute to the gameplay on the servers.

But, as you can see, it's just my personal opinion, because I value the quality of teamplay higher than the possibilities for single players, even if they require skill. That's why I stay neutral to this suggestion.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Spook Island

• Shitposter
  • Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 165
  • Infamy: 183
  • cRPG Player
  • Truth Teller
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2012, 04:46:19 am »
Removing turn speed for vertical attacking makes fighting harder(and more realistic), so not more appealing to casual players at all. Such a slight change was enought to get dedicated meleers out of their comfort zone, seeing as melee is not used to being nerfed, so they whine. Welcome to crpg.

There is nothing unrealistic about being able to turn while performing an overhead or stab attack.

EU players just started to whine when Polespinners started popping up.

Those mechanics had been in the game for nearly 3 years and nobody complained until recently.

Offline BlackCorsair_RS

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2012, 11:43:00 am »
+1
WTF, when this amazing shit will be added in crpg?

it's fucking chainsaw katana - look at this shit. LOOK AT IT. MOTHERFUCKING CHAINSAW KATANA

a fuckload of spinny-ass blades. what's that? too extreme for you, you dumb slut? WELL GET OVER IT! i know u want it.

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • Renown: 672
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Rhekimos
  • IRC nick: Rhekimos
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2012, 11:46:49 am »
WTF, when this amazing shit will be added in crpg?

it's fucking chainsaw katana - look at this shit. LOOK AT IT. MOTHERFUCKING CHAINSAW KATANA

a fuckload of spinny-ass blades. what's that? too extreme for you, you dumb slut? WELL GET OVER IT! i know u want it.
+1. This game needs space ninjas.