Author Topic: Looking for a Tin Can Guide  (Read 2460 times)

Offline Tor!

• He's Tor!
  • Marshall
  • Renown: 739
  • Infamy: 62
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Tor
Re: Looking for a Tin Can Guide
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 02:35:51 am »
Yes, its 3 times heirloomed great long axe with 6 powerstrike. Does its job nicely  :wink:
[00:53] <xant> i used to play on eu_1
[00:53] <xant> then i took an arrow to the knee

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 04:29:50 am »
Correct me if I am wrong but the armor of a shield is like armor on a person, it decreases the damage done to the shield, however when a weapon has a bonus against shields it ignores the armor of the shield, therefore low hit point shields break faster to things like axes, but high hitpoint shields with less armor take more damage from things like arrows because of the reduced armor.  Personally you might want to consider the triple heirloomed fur covered shield, nothing says barbarian like a 700 hit point shield covered in fur.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 06:17:09 am »
Correct me if I am wrong but the armor of a shield is like armor on a person, it decreases the damage done to the shield, however when a weapon has a bonus against shields it ignores the armor of the shield, therefore low hit point shields break faster to things like axes, but high hitpoint shields with less armor take more damage from things like arrows because of the reduced armor.  Personally you might want to consider the triple heirloomed fur covered shield, nothing says barbarian like a 700 hit point shield covered in fur.
Wrong. I'll explain...

Bonus to shield is a 2x Multiplier to damage when striking shields. That is all -- However that is more than you think it is just by hearing it.
Mathematically speaking though, since the damage is raised it will negate the armor at a Higher percentage of its damage dealt. This can make axes MORE useful for higher armor shields than lower armor shields -- But still super useful always. Always.

Example 1: Hit a fur covered shield for 50 damage with no bonus, let's say 8 damage is negated by armor and 42 is absorbed by shield HP. With a bonus to shield multiplier that is now 100 damage, 8 still negated by armor and 92 damage absorbed by the shield. Since it has such High HP it will still last a long long time, but it will last roughly half as long as normal when struck by a bonus to shield weapon.

Example 2: Hit a steel shield which negates 50 damage.  You hit it for 60 damage with a 2 handed sword and do 10 damage to it's HP only. Now say you hit for 60 damage from a shield bonus weapon for a total of 120 damage. 50 negated damage leaves 70 damage still dealt to the shield's HP. Since it has a low amount of HP, it won't last very long to a high damage axe. In this example, an axe does 7 times more damage than a non shield bonus weapon, due to having more damage negate the armor's effectiveness.

No, This is not the exact math, nor the amount of damage negated by the armor presented. There are lots of variables on armor effectiveness, damage, etc in a normal game that I am not going to bother adding. Many of which are randomly generated effectivenesses per strike and stuff.

*due to heirlooming effects, I'd loom a steel shield, huscarl, or knightly heater since it raises shield armor on them even higher. Shield armor has exponential increasing effectiveness, not a simple linear increase to effectiveness which HP provides.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 06:27:22 am by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Sean_Drew

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: no faction
  • Game nicks: my secret ;-) Only 4 chars now : 1h/shielder , 2h , xbower , archer. The other 25 chars are deleted.
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 02:36:03 pm »
Wrong. I'll explain...

Bonus to shield is a 2x Multiplier to damage when striking shields. That is all -- However that is more than you think it is just by hearing it.
Mathematically speaking though, since the damage is raised it will negate the armor at a Higher percentage of its damage dealt. This can make axes MORE useful for higher armor shields than lower armor shields -- But still super useful always. Always.

Example 1: Hit a fur covered shield for 50 damage with no bonus, let's say 8 damage is negated by armor and 42 is absorbed by shield HP. With a bonus to shield multiplier that is now 100 damage, 8 still negated by armor and 92 damage absorbed by the shield. Since it has such High HP it will still last a long long time, but it will last roughly half as long as normal when struck by a bonus to shield weapon.

Example 2: Hit a steel shield which negates 50 damage.  You hit it for 60 damage with a 2 handed sword and do 10 damage to it's HP only. Now say you hit for 60 damage from a shield bonus weapon for a total of 120 damage. 50 negated damage leaves 70 damage still dealt to the shield's HP. Since it has a low amount of HP, it won't last very long to a high damage axe. In this example, an axe does 7 times more damage than a non shield bonus weapon, due to having more damage negate the armor's effectiveness.

No, This is not the exact math, nor the amount of damage negated by the armor presented. There are lots of variables on armor effectiveness, damage, etc in a normal game that I am not going to bother adding. Many of which are randomly generated effectivenesses per strike and stuff.

*due to heirlooming effects, I'd loom a steel shield, huscarl, or knightly heater since it raises shield armor on them even higher. Shield armor has exponential increasing effectiveness, not a simple linear increase to effectiveness which HP provides.

Hm .... i really doubt if this "x2 damage - body armor" is right ...
Why ? If this were right a Huscarl would break faster than a steel shield ( against shield breaker ) , and i don´t think , that it would go like that.

And @ Tor : Yes your huge Long Axe does it´s Job very, very nicely ;-) Next time i try to make some great circles around you  ;-) Or better run besides, or behind you if you are on my team ;-) But not in your swing range ;-)

And @ all : No matter what you choose .... choose what makes you the most fun !!!
Sorry , my english is bad ... ;-) I do my best :-)