Author Topic: Beyond the Block...Hit...Block (or, Why Shields Are Epic)  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Kophka

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • for the final ride
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Kophka/Koschei
  • IRC nick: Kophka
Beyond the Block...Hit...Block (or, Why Shields Are Epic)
« on: March 29, 2011, 04:56:24 pm »
Hello guys, I'm seeing a LOT of new players coming to NA, and I wanted to say welcome! Many new players are encouraged to start off as 1 hand/shield when they ask about the game on the servers. This is a really good idea for several reasons. First of all, a shield can help you survive a bit longer until you learn to feel what's going on in the battlefield. It can help you survive a couched lance until you get used to watching and listening for ninja-cav, and it can save you when you forget that archers really dig high spots. :D

The #1 MOST important thing about a shield however, is the fact that it lends itself so well to tactical play. Shields are scary. People get even more scared of an approaching shielder than they do of a flamberge wielding plater. Use this to your advantage! When you are running with your team, and encounter a blob of the enemy, use that fear, and the advantage of your shield to push the enemy to where your friends can get clear shots at them. You can open up holes in enemy formations with ease if you lay off of the attack button, then attack when you have control of the fight.

Another important aspect of the shield is in protection. Not for yourself, but for your friendly troops. It's a long forgotten feature, but the dev team has actually coded a "shield wall" effect. I'm hoping one will step in and correct me if I have any aspect of this incorrect, but if I remember correctly, 3 or more shields in a wall together get a bonus to shield coverage, and with enough of them, your archers and crossbowmen can feel safe enough to destroy the enemy teams ranged and cavalry out-right.

EDIT
: After speaking with a developer on this subject, the Shieldwall Bonus is only turned on for Strategus battles. Yet another thing to look forward to when Strategus comes back! :)

Welcome to cRPG, newbies, I hope you love it!  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 08:22:30 pm by Kophka »

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
Re: Beyond the Block...Hit...Block (or, Why Shields Are Epic)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 05:02:57 pm »
Another important aspect of the shield is in protection. Not for yourself, but for your friendly troops. It's a long forgotten feature, but the dev team has actually coded a "shield wall" effect. I'm hoping one will step in and correct me if I have any aspect of this incorrect, but if I remember correctly, 3 or more shields in a wall together get a bonus to shield coverage, and with enough of them, your archers and crossbowmen can feel safe enough to destroy the enemy teams ranged and cavalry out-right.

I don't think there is such an effect. IG has used shield walls in clan matches and it's still quite possible to shoot through the gaps.

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 06:09:50 pm »
+1

I agree with Kophka, even though I still maintain that shield users are mangy cur to be put to the sword, I remember when I first joined this game (when you EARNED your purchases), I was a shielder myself, until I got more comfortable with the game.

Remember even if you're a shielder to start, try out a polearm or a two-handed weapon sometime. I know I've convinced quite a few people to go with a two-hander after they've been a shielder for a while.

While it's more fun (in my opinion) to be a two-handed combatant, shielding is still a good place to start!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 06:35:53 pm »
Regardless wether shieldwalls actually have a bonus to the covered area (i'd like to see that confirmed!), shields are huge in tactical play.

In the tournaments (small 8 vs 8 battles) we pair shielders with non-shielders so they have some protection from ranged. Also: shielders excel in facing multiple opponents. Because of the shield, you can easily tie down two or even three opponents. And because of the shield, you can maneuver into threatening positions that a manual blocker wouldn't consider (because he'd get shot or overwhelmed by melee).

In big, camp-style fights, the shielders can provide (mobile) coverage for archers. You can play personal protector for some good player (2h or polearm especially), tailing him and stepping forward to block swings he can't block. Or step in to block enemy fire.

With a shielder, you can breach enemy lines. Push through between their fighers and get in the middle and even behind them.

There are countless things we shielders can do that the none-shielders can't. A good shielder can be a valuable teamplayer without having to swing his weapon once. Deny areas, tie down multiple opponents, outflank groups and force them to face two directions. Often, it's smart not to risk dropping that shield, but even then it's still really worthwhile if you manage to disrupt their play, surround them, tie down and grab the attention of multiple opponents, etc. And we can chase down archers, if we have high enough athletics.

And i bet i forgot some other cool stuff shielders can do.  :D

Edit: also, shields are not restricted to 1h users. All my characters have shields. I feel that shields get worthwhile with 1 or 2 shield skill. As a polearm or 2h user, that board shield allows me to cross areas that are unaccesible because of ranged fire. And if your willing to risk a few more points you can even go shield 4 or better on a 2h or polearm user, giving you some of the advantages the 1h shielders have. Only trick is to time that weaponswitch and hope they won't spam your shield. But even then you can retreat with shield up to teammates and then switch to weapon. Shields are great, even for the other classes.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 06:39:50 pm by Phazey »

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 07:26:45 pm »
Shields aren't really scary.
It's just when you run into a huscarl/steel shielder you may as well run away and chop down a tree because you'd spend the rest of the round hacking at it.   :twisted:
I don't think a shieldwall bonus exists, but remember that shields can get forcefields (at least before the patch) and also block attacks that wasn't even aimed at the user.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 07:52:03 pm »
Great post, and I do agree that they have huge tactical benifits to team play (which makes me wonder how well certain clans will do in strategus considering sme clans lack or discourage all shields.)
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Baldr

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • Baldr?
    • View Profile
    • BALDR
  • Faction: Baldr
  • Game nicks: Baldr & Balder
  • IRC nick: Baldr damnit!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 08:20:23 pm »
I agree, a good shielder can and will scare alot of players. I can and very much enjoy (usually causes my death though) rushing 4-5 players and watching them team kill and team hit each other, it hurts their hp and their moral more then any sniper archer ever could. People call it stupid, but I get x5 (siege server, respawn) or my team just becouse they refuse to co oporate with "teamkillers" and "team hitters" The smart one's hit untill I am dead no matter if they hit team mates, the less smart one's let me find my feet  :twisted: and then end up in my KDR score. And I am not even close to one of the really good shielders (was but nowadays I don't have the time)

I do have tried 2 hand char's (Nanna is an archer with 2h secondary weap) and to be honest its a bit to easy, easy might not be the right word. Its a bit to... well I got a kill as lvl 1 in a 1v1 duel with 1 wpf, most 2h just spam and are easy victims for anyone with a right mouse button and a cup of timing IMHO.

I am not that good as a shielder but the fun part is not 1v1 fights its 2-3 v1 fights that really makes you fall in love. The first time you can walk away from a 5v1 fight you will never look back, its like warm apple pie.  :D

P.S Bjork we miss you in the mornings brother, get online again at 5-6 am (scandinavian time OFC)