Author Topic: Improve the Spectator's HUD  (Read 686 times)

Offline Burr1ck

• Earl
  • Renown: 314
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
  • The Mercenaries are on Twitch.tv. Check the topic!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Burrick, Stimpy
Improve the Spectator's HUD
« on: May 26, 2012, 12:50:51 am »
+3
Improve the Spectator's Point of View Display

Problems with current HUD:
- When we spectate there is no way the game HUD tells us who of the players belongs to which team. This makes it hard to follow battles as we have to guess by what the players are wearing to tell which side they are on which can be ambiguous.
- It's very hard to identify the name of certain players as the game does not tell us.
- Some enemies hiding in shadows, objects or buildings are hard to pick out in spectator view. Again this makes it hard to follow the battle.
- No way to tell exactly how much hp or ammo a player has.

Solution:
- There's a casting channel 'Warband Battlestream' on Twitch tv which streams competitive Mount & Blade: Warband matches e.g. http://www.twitch.tv/warband_battlestream/b/318087058 . In the recordings from the channel, notice that from spectator's point of view it shows the team colored player names and health bars float above the character models, which is pretty darn neat and handy in distinguishing the difference between two teams, I reckon that it would be great to incorporate that into cRPG as an option (on/ off). The reason for an off option are for those who simply enjoy having no HUD or for screenshot purposes.
- Dead players in spec mode see the default view which means no printed IDs or floating hp bars in order to avoid cheating.
- Problems of finding out who's who, who's hiding where, who belongs to which team and who's got how much health are solved.
- I suggest improving this mod by adding a floating ammo counter display.

More info here: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=189676.0 (see Print IDs section, I want this feature public)
The developer's profile of the mod: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?action=profile;u=84457

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"Art thou the hammer, or art thou the nail? From the view of the beam, 'tis all the same. But for the nail, 'tis very different."
- Hammerite

The Mercenaries's YouTube channel

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
Re: Improve the Spectator's HUD
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 12:55:04 am »
Yes to the name showing, however no to the health bars and ammo indicators, since some dead person could just use it and tell the alive clan mate how much health/ammo remaining the enemy has, which would be an advantage, as you mentioned in your post, however, neutral spectators should not be able to see it either, since a player could just decide to change faction to spectator, use the info, then get back to the team before the round end

Offline Burr1ck

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 01:09:39 am »
Yes to the name showing, however no to the health bars and ammo indicators, since some dead person could just use it and tell the alive clan mate how much health/ammo remaining the enemy has, which would be an advantage, as you mentioned in your post, however, neutral spectators should not be able to see it either, since a player could just decide to change faction to spectator, use the info, then get back to the team before the round end

- Dead players in spec mode see the default view which means no printed IDs or floating hp bars in order to avoid cheating.

About the whole changing  from team to spec then joining back to team before the round ends thing, this would pose as a problem but I'm sure it can be patched over with something like preventing them joining back to their team from spectator. In order to join back they would have to rejoin the server and hope that auto-balance would put them where they want to be :mrgreen:.

"Art thou the hammer, or art thou the nail? From the view of the beam, 'tis all the same. But for the nail, 'tis very different."
- Hammerite

Offline Burr1ck

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 12:30:00 am »
Bump.

Come one guys, don't you want a better spectator experience!?

- Hammerite

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 02:58:41 am »
Yay sky god battle comanders will be awesome sauce for strat... even if totally illiagle.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 03:05:34 am »